1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

do you feel there is a need to increase border security?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by body slam, Apr 29, 2017.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Oh well since you put it that way, I see that you are correct and that we should make blanket judgments on everyone from Mexico. Brilliant!

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

To which "blanket judgement" of mine against "everyone from Mexico" are you referring?

Mexico is an extraordinarily violent country.

3. Cohete Rojo

Yes, I would not mind an increase in border security along the Mexican border. What kind of country is Mexico? It's like a warzone.

4. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

:eek: Trump is very Mexican in calling media "the enemy of the people."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...rump-cpac-media-enemy-of-the-people/98347970/

Too bad murder is illegal north of the border. I think we should tear down the wall, to allow some of these Mexican assassins to kill American journalists, in order to MAGA.

#44 sirbaihu, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The one in which you are implying in a thread about border security that anyone coming from Mexico must be violent because there is violence in that country.

6. Cohete Rojo

I've never seen such denial. I have presented plenty of evidence to show that Mexico is an extraordinarily violent country. Why you refuse to accept the data as fact, I don't know.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't think anyone is disputing that there is lots of cartel violence in Mexico. It's just that no one else finds it a relevant and compelling argument for border security. Cartels that will murder a busload of people in the Mexican desert are more reluctant to commit murder in the US, and it's not because they can't get in. It's not a particularly persuasive argument for me to spend billions of border security. It does make me think we should lend support to and cooperate much more with Mexican law enforcement so they can reduce cartel violence there. But Trump, in his wisdom, decided that wasn't the smart way to go.

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

9. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

No Worries likes this.
  10. droxford

droxford Member

How quickly would this country point the finger at our president (whomever it may be at the time) if a weapon was transported across our southern border and utilized to kill thousands of American civilians? Should we wait until this happens before we take action? Shouldn't we do every thing in our power to prevent this?

Should we NOT make every effort and attempt to prevent the illegal transportation of drugs and weapons across our southern border?

For control of immigration populous, shouldn't this be a legislative decision? If Americans want to allow more Latino immigrants into our nation, shouldn't we just change the laws that allow immigrants in (rather than asking the leader of our government's executive branch to NOT enforce the law, even though that's his/her job)?

11. JuanValdez

What if a weapon is transported over our northern border?

12. Cohete Rojo

Are you suggesting that in no way does border security deter the cartel in some manner nor make the border secure?

Some people might suggest that one cause for the expansion of the drug trade between the US and Mexico is due to the increased enforcement of US waterways - particularly those in Florida - by the US Coast Guard. So, we do have evidence that an increase in border security can make a border more secure.

We've done it before and had success. Why not again?

13. JuanValdez

Your example seems to allude to trafficking activity where I was talking about murder. Border security probably has some effect on trafficking operations as they seek the path of least resistance. And they do murder in the US too, but not like they do in Mexico. Those murders are more likely deterred by good law enforcement than by good border security. You've been implying that we need more border security because the violence of Mexico can spill over into the US. I'm simply saying we've done border security badly for a long time now and we don't see the cartels doing here what they do in Mexico.

14. cml750

cml750 Member

Good post. I agree with you. This may be the first time.

15. dmoneybangbang

Conservative social policies are to blame... like poorneconomic policies like labor policies are to blame for illegal immigration.

16. dmoneybangbang

Yep... social conservative prohibition causes lots of violence. Sad, it was just several decades ago where one can safely travel right across the border... but social conservatives don't believe in freedom.

17. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

As @JuanValdez already pointed out, I'm not denying that Mexico has violence. Are you denying they have a lot of good deeds and charity? I've already posted several links in one single post to just a small number of the many they have.

But our border security, as it is right now, is doing a fantastic job of not have violence from Mexico spill over into the United States. I don't think increased border security is the best allocation of resources at the moment.

And even now our border security that stops many illegal immigrants and deports and tracks large numbers of others doesn't necessarily deal with high level members of Mexican drug cartels trying to cross to the borders. They do definitely deal with loads of families looking for better lives and escape the violence caused by the drug cartels in Mexico. So showing me that there is violence in Mexico which isn't a new idea to most people isn't really showing a drastic need for more border security.

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The underlying fear is an incursion of Hispanic culture, despite the whole of cowboy and ranching culture and the entire Western United States being founded and built by Spaniards. Between massive European immigration and the entanglements of World Wars, we engaged and invested in Europe heavily and on an equal footing during the first half of the 20th century, had we instead invested in Latin America in the same manner or at least not evicted Spain and cut off their link to Europe there'd probably be a different economic and cultural dynamic.

B-Bob likes this.
  19. dmoneybangbang

Should we also wall up our coastlines where a weapon may also be transported via ship smuggled?

How far are we willingly to go? How much longer do we want to pretend drug prohibition is effective? How much longer will our legislators do nothing while talking out of both sides of their mouth on immigration?

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I'm trying to be objective here but . . . people with brown skin and black hair look weird. We can't lynch them, or do like a lethal bug spray on Mexico, but, i mean, they look f@#%ed up. This is not an opinion. You can match them to a paint color chart and they're definitely like, not normal.

For me personally, I'm kinda mocha-sh*@ combo color, but the old D'er is pink as ur granddad's tongue. Yes!

[Edit!!!] Wait hold on: can we check the D color/P color to figure out if people are shi%$y Mexicans? Why didn't Trump figure this out! He's seen many many P's!!!! Reality is so complicated. . . .

#60 sirbaihu, May 5, 2017
    Last edited: May 5, 2017