1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you agree with Velasquez to the Bullpen?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bobloblaw, Jul 23, 2015.

?

Who should be our 5th starter?

1. Vince Velasquez

56.3%
  2. Scott Feldman

43.8%
  1. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Although Hinch hasn't said that Velasquez will permanently be in the bullpen, it appears that he has lost his rotation spot.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hinch said Velasquez will not start in KC. Will come out of bullpen. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a></p>&mdash; Brian T. Smith (@ChronBrianSmith) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChronBrianSmith/status/624321138034786304">July 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

VV has the arm to make the biggest impact down there

A little surprised they are changing his role considering his injury past though. But obviously they know a LOT more than I do about how this would effect him

Still don't think the whole story has been told here, cause they aren't going to let McCullers continue to start every 5th day with no limits the rest of the way

3. Dankush

Dankush Member

I am not sure what Feldman offers over Velasquez. Maybe they think the bullpen is bleeding that badly which it kind of is. But Velasquez has been slightly better than Feldman's career numbers in his 7 starts and quite obviously has the upside edge.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

VV is the better pitcher, but he'll be more useful out of the pen than Feldman. Feldman is a quality pitcher, even though people love to give him flak. I'm not sayign he's great, but he's around league average. Had a 3.7 ERA last year I believe. That, and we would rather limit VV's innings than Feldmans.

5. Dankush

Dankush Member

Heres a question if Feldman is making 3-5 million do they make the same move?

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Not a huge fan of this but I don't think it's permanent for the rest of the season, either.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

If a starter is struggling and needs relief early, I would trust Velasquez more than Feldman.

1 person likes this.
  8. The Beard

Yea I agree with this completely

No doubt VV has the upside and the future

But they need to limit VV and Lance in some way or another, and Feldman is solid

Most people think i'm crazy, and I don't think it is their top target now...but I still wouldn't be shocked if we added another rental starter

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't think this is a permanent move. I have a feeling we're going to make another move to add a reliever, and when that happens, we may see VV move back up into the rotation in a platoon with McCullers. For the short term though, I think it's the right move.

10. The Beard

Yes, this has nothing to do with money

It's more about limiting the innings of VV than anything. Plus with a lot of days off coming up, if Feldman isn't throwing well he will likely be skipped a time or two

This was a very nice move today for us, but not likely at all that what we see now is what we will see in another week

11. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Maybe theyre not trying to tax his arm too hard this year. I think I read somewhere that hes never pitched more than 120 innings or so in a year. This move maybe trying to save his arm for the playoff push and further.

12. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

When I first heard the news, it seemed obvious to me this was being done to limit his innings. I wouldn't expect him to come out of the pen and Feldman in the rotation during the playoffs.

13. raining threes

Valasquez should be a better version of Fields out of the bullpen.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Would not be surprised by a rental starter, but I think this gives Astros more ammunition to go after a non-rental starter or a position player.

15. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Not to sound pessimistic but what happens if next time we roll out Feldman, he gives up 5 ER's? Just keep saying aww shucks and stick with him because he's under contract and VV is under an innings watch? Hope I'm wrong and Feldman turns it around but what if he doesn't?

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Feldman wouldn't be on this team if he wasn't cashing in as much as he is.

Him pitching in in September is just tough to swallow.

17. The Beard

Has gone at least 6 innings in 8 of his 11 starts

3 earned or less in 7 of his 11 starts

If people want Feldman to be a front of the rotation starter then yea, be disappointed

But for a #5, he is solid

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If he sucks, you bench him. If he's adequate, he's far more valuable as a starter than a "long reliever" (which by definition is usually taking over a starter who sucks, and likely pitching in an unwinnable game).

There's a ton of season left. Astros need as many quality arms healthy and available as possible.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

This is clearly about the innings limit for him and McCullers and not performance based.

I'm sure McCullers is gonna spend some time in the pen as well before years end.

20. Buck Turgidson

He is what he is, and for what he's being asked to do and at his salary the hate for him is just silly. As was mentioned, there's a ton of baseball left and the Stros have options going forward and nothing is set in stone.

Look at some of the guys the Angels, Royals and Yankees are running out there: Shoemaker, Weaver, Sabathia, Guthrie, Ventura. Feldman would be in the rotation for all 3 of those teams too.