1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do we have any football capologists on Clutchfans??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Aydge, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Aydge

Aydge Member

I know BimaThugs don't grow on trees but do we have any football capologists on Clutchfans?

If we do manage to trade Schaub, does that open up cap space or is it the same hit if we trade or release him?

2. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I am by no means a capologist and I could be wrong on all of this but this is what I understand:

1. Schaub is cut now as is - team takes a $10 million dead money cap hit (saves 4 million)
    2. Schaub is cut with Post-June 1st designation - $3 million dead money cap hit in 2014 (11 million in savings) and $7 million cap hit in 2015
    3. Schaub is traded - Texans must pay all guaranteed money immediately $14 million; I am not sure how this affects the cap number

Someone feel free to jump in where i am incorrect as I could be totally wrong.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Cuts and trades are treated the same.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

wow, is this the case with every player? If they get traded their original team has to pay them the remainder of their contract? I always figured it was the new teams responsibility.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's the remainder of their unpaid signing bonus.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They don't have to pay the remainder of the contract, but the remainder of the signing bonus counts against their cap....it already was paid. Schaub has 10.5 mil worth of signing bonus that has yet to hit the Texans' cap.

7. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

This. One of the reasons its so hard to trade in the NFL.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If BimaThug was as good with NFL numbers as he is with NBA numbers he'd be working in an NFL front office, NFL Network or ESPN. There aren't many NFL cap experts.