1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Divorce and God

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sishir Chang, Jan 22, 2006.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no, i wasn't offended by your question. i've just been frustrated with church issues...and one of them is the tendency to feed knowledge upon knowledge without actually working for heart and life change in people.

2. MadMax

I don't want to turn this political...but Bush couldn't win here. If Bush cites his faith to justify policy, then people freak out on him...unless they agree with the end result.

So if I'm an anti-death penalty atheist...am i happy she's spared, or pissed that Bush just substituted faith for policy?

Having said that...I'm anti-death penalty, myself.

3. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I agree that probably was the case in that situation but the question of whether someone has truly repented or been born again comes up frequently in regard to sentencing, parole and clemency hearings so this issue isn't one that is purely a spiritual matter.

4. MadMax

but it comes up in a practical sense. not in a spiritual one. in other words...the after-life of a person isn't considered in whether someone is executed or not. what matters is how their spirtual life has practically affected their life in the here and now. does it mean he's safe to have on the streets or not?

5. Sishir Chang

Thanks again Art V, Rhester, Grizzled and Mad Max. Informative answers as always.

If I'm understanding correctly what you're saying is that salvation is through faith alone and only God is the judge of whether one's faith is honest or not. Good works are important but salvation is achieved by good works. Good works matter in this life because of one's conscience and one's place in this life while in Heaven they matter for position in the Heavenly Host.

Pardon me for presuming but I believe all of you are Protestant or come from a Protestant tradition and this argument over whether salvation is achieved by faith alone or good works is the cause of the schism between Catholicism and Protestant. I'm wondering how a Catholic would weigh in on the matter. Back to the dvorce example, from a Catholic standpoint, could someone in a truly awful and miserable marriage obtain a civil divorce, not annulment, and still repent and be saved?

6. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Sentencing, parole and clemency are difficult decisions.
    I would think that repentance would factor in without spiritual conotations.

Being 'Born Again' could mean almost anything now days. I don't know how that would factor into these decisions. I guess it would matter depending on how the authorities viewed 'Born Again'.

I think your general questions deal with how God's forgiveness is given and how 'sinful' actions affect 'salvation'.

Interesting, God's forgiveness was my sermon Sunday.

I would suggest reading the story of the Prodigal son in the Bible. The reference is Luke 15: 11-32.

... a wonderful story of God's forgiveness- there are many others in the Bible.

7. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

faith and works come together in the heart. it is true for all of us.

God looks at the heart.

Anyone can repent and be saved.

8. MadMax

Sishir --

if you have access to a Bible, pick up Romans Chapter 2-3. I think that might help explain a lot of this.

9. Sishir Chang

^ I do and would but actually enjoy reading y'all's citations and comments more than reading it on my own. :D

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Daddy please hear this song that I sing
    In your heart there's a spark that just screams
    For a lover to bring a child to your chest that could lay as you sleep
    And love all you have left like your boy used to be
    Long ago wrapped in sheets warm and wet

Blister please with those wings in your spine
    Love to be with a brother of mine
    How he'd love to find your tongue in his teeth
    In a struggle to find secret songs that you keep wrapped in boxes so tight
    Sounding only at night as you sleep