1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DIME] 5 Point Guards to Watch for 2009-2010

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HipHopSince1981, Aug 31, 2009.

1. HipHopSince1981

Link

glad AB gettin recognition..

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Isn't it presumptuous to say the crew will include a "healthy McGrady"?

3. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

its plausible that Tmac will be healthy at some point this season. i love me some AB and im happy to get to see him unleashed. if he gets some confidence, and realizes that no one in the league can cover him... then he will be pretty fun to watch.

4. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

VERY - I love the guy when he plays with passion, but I'll believe he can play that way again only when I see it with my own eyes

5. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Isn't that irrelevant to the topic at hand? Let's not make this another McGrady thread.

As for Brooks, I would disagree with the notion that he has any chance of cracking the top 10 at the PG position. I think he'll have a breakout year, at least in terms of the sort of numbers he's put up his first two. But there's just too much talent in the league at that position to say he could be at that level.

Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, Tony Parker, Mo Williams, Derrick Rose, Andre Miller, Rajon Rondo, Devin Harris, Chauncey Billups, Mike Bibby, maybe even Gilbert Arenas. Brooks would have to be better than at least 4 of these guys to reach top 10, and I just can't see it happening.

1 person likes this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How many minutes per game will Brooks play this season? In his first couple years, he scored at a rate of about 16 points per 36 minutes. Since it looks like Tracy will be back sooner than later, I don't know if we should expect a large boost in the scoring. Further, with Tracy, Ariza, and Battier in the lineup, that means less minutes at 2-guard for Brooks and/or Lowry, meaning Brooks's minutes may not dramatically increase.

I'd say 33 mpg, at 18 points per 36min scoring rate, which means he'll average something like 16.5 ppg next year. I'm more interested in how he develops as a distributor, and whether he can keep himself from being a major liability on the defensive end against starting PGs for an entire season.

7. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

By next year, or even a bit later, he is going to be better than Andre miller, Jason Kidd (aging), Mike Bibby(aging) for sure

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

One of the few times I agree with you, Durvasa.

Brooks' scoring ability shouldn't be a question. It's the OTHER things that a point guard like Brooks should do that needs to be questioned. He needs to definitely cut down on those errant passes inside the 3 point line and use his quickness to stay in front of his man on the defensive end.

9. reckonerone42

reckonerone42 Member

It's a bit presumptuous and even more optimistic of me to say so, but I think this could happen:

Brooks could pass Jason Kidd (blasphemous I know considering Kidd is one of the all time great PGs) simply due to age. He's 36 and on the downside of his career, certainly on the defensive end, but his scoring numbers have been declining for a number of years now, while I acknowledge he still has it assist-wise. Plus, who knows how much PT Kidd will get on a crowded Mavs team with Barea, Terry and Howard in that backcourt. Brooks, on the other hand, is still on the upside of his career and should only get better with more experience Mo Williams put up some decent numbers in the regular season and in the first two rounds of the playoffs, but was less than stellar against the Magic. Granted Williams' numbers are skewed playing with Lebron, but I think Brooks could be reasonably expected to match Mo's scoring numbers from last year (17-18 ppg) and maybe exceed his surprisingly low 4 asst/game figure.

I think you overrate Mike Bibby too. Don't get me wrong, I used to love watching the guy play, but he's not the same player he was with the Kings under Adelman (which is my ultimate hope for AB). Like Kidd, Bibby's numbers have been declining in recent years, except in a more "across the board fashion" and he might only be the third best player on his team behind Johnson and Josh Smith and the Hawks didn't exactly sign Jamal Crawford for no reason. And I don't think passing Miller would be that difficult a feat either, given Miller's 3pt shooting deficiencies and age (33).

There, I guess that's my shot at being an optimist.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If there's any season where Brooks can put points up, this will more than likely be it. I don't know of anyone on the team he'll have to defer to. His only potential downside may be whether or not he can stop anybody from scoring. If he can't, expect to see more of a Kyle/Aaron platoon.

The only thing I'm looking forward to this season is the Rockets running and hopefully Aaron can be a part of that.

11. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

I'd agree with you here... everyone knows Aaron can score. But to be considered among the elite, he's going to have to do a lot more than that. Jamal Crawford can score with the best of them on occasion, but no one's confusing him for a top 10 PG.

If he can continue improving his game at a rate comparable to what he's done thus far, he could certainly prove me wrong.

12. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Brooks will have a very big year.

I'm also worried about him guarding other point guards but he did hold is own. It's not like he was ever really bullied over.

13. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

You have to factor in that at least one or two from the extremely deep PG draft this year will be there too eventually. Tyreke Evans, Rubio, Flynn, Curry, Jennings, Holliday, Lawson

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

As far as ppg 18 sounds about right, but I expect the team as a whole will average more attempts per game so who knows. I am more worried about his FG%. I have a feeling its going to dip lower than ever. He needs to get to the line way more to offset it. Thats what I am looking for this year with Brooks. FTapg, and FG%.

15. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

He wasn't THAT good in the playoffs and that was when he had a few games where he caught Portland and LA off guard. Once teams zero in on him he is going to have some problems.

I expect 16ppg and 4apg from him this season but he won't shoot over 42%

16. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Kemba caught me by surprise.

17. amaru

amaru Member

Too late.......you know anytime "He whose name will not be mentioned" is brought up in a thread it is ALWAYS derailed.

Posters can't help themselves.

18. dakeem1

dakeem1 Member

Brooks will have a break out year, but he will NEVER be considered elite the way he passes and defends.

Assuming he doesn't develop well in his weak areas, there is only one other way for him to become elite, and that is to play like Iverson in his prime. He would be considered elite by the media and the casual fan, but I would hate him. I never liked Iverson's low percentage style. It gave him incredible stats but didn't make his team mates any better.

Hopefully, he develops better playmaking skills and turns into a Tony Parker with better shooting or a faster Billups.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Brooks is probably already better than Kidd, M.Williams, Miller and Bibby. Maybe Arenas depending on how strong his comeback is.

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

And if you imply a healthy t-mac why would we then be "not good." If t-mac's healthy we're a playoff team.