1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

digital camera advise

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ghettostar85, May 6, 2008.

1. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

So I want to buy a new digital camera but I'm totally lost. What camera should I get?? My price range is from 300 $ to 500 $.

2. WildSweet&Cool

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

http://www.maclife.com/article/image_stabilization

[​IMG]

Antishake technology has long been an essential feature in camcorders, where slight hand movements can ruin shots or inadvertently push a movie into Blair Witch territory. But they’re surprisingly useful in still cameras, too. Without a stabilizer, most shooters can’t hold a camera still for more than about 1/30 of a second. That’s rarely a problem outdoors, where abundant light makes for quick shutter speeds, but indoor shots often take about a sixth of a second, leaving you with the Sophie’s Choice of cameras: an image blurred with camera shake or the harsh light of the camera flash.

Stabilizers come in three general types: optical, mechanical, and digital. Optical stabilizers usually offer the best results and don’t impact image quality; they work by orienting the plane of the lens opposite the direction of typical hand movements, so they’re less noticeable. Mechanical sensor-stabilizers shift the image sensor in a similar way. Digital stabilizers use electronics to manipulate the image as it is taken; these typically don’t work as well and can sometimes impact image quality. Don’t be fooled by companies touting high-ISO sensitivity and shorter exposures as “stabilizers.” These techniques assist to reduce blur but should be in any camera’s arsenal.

Our favorite stabilizing shooter? The Canon PowerShot SD1100 IS fits an optical stabilizer into its pocket-size shape. We impressively captured handheld exposures as long as 1/4 of a second without blur. If you can get your friends to hold still, the PowerShot works great at dim restaurants without requiring a flash.

We clocked the 8-megapixel camera at a little over a second to turn on and fire its first photo. It also satisfyingly sustained a rate of about 1.4 pictures per second, snapping almost instantly with the button press. Those images were generally acceptable, but some daylight detail got lost, such as fine patterns in a wide photo of foliage. But we shot exceptional macro images, getting close to garden flowers while still recording clear details. Indoor shots showed generally accurate colors, although the camera flash made them better defined than longer exposures without it.

The bottom line. The go-anywhere shape is nicely augmented by the shoot-nearly-anywhere stabilizer. It’s a great camera for snapping photos on a moment’s notice.

COMPANY: Canon

PRICE: $250
    Good: Optical stabilizer solidifies hand-held photos. Small range-finder eyepiece frames shots in exceptionally bright conditions. Bold, 2.5-inch LCD clearly shows your aim. Great macro mode.

Bad: Fine details often muddled together. Moderate background noise in indoor, flash photos.

4. mulletman

mulletman Member

fyi, its on sale for $200 at Office depot this week

5. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

6. Ghettostar85

Ghettostar85 Member

ok so I have looked around abit and I think I will go for the canon ixus 860 is. Is anyone familiar with this model??

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

No, but don't get it. Any camera without a viewfinder is a toy.

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Let's imagine you buy a camera, and it has 1 feature, and it costs $1. Would you buy it? Yes. It's cheap, but you would use all its features (1). Let's imagine now that you will buy another camera, and it has 10 features. It costs $100. You will use maybe 9 features and 1 is a waste. Cool buy.

Now, if you think about a camera with a bunch of features, better than the rest, and it fits withing your budget, would you use ALL its features? The point I want to make is, how many of you out there read the entire manual on a gadget such as your camera and use all its features? :confused:

Here is a good comparison of newer models: http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/ . I always use "dcresource.com" for all reviews.

Because I know a little about photography, and I foresee some of the uses I will make of the camera, I look for the following features:
    Continuous mode - I like to see some action through many shots, and pick the best photo
    Macro mode - I sometimes photograph objects at close range
    Power resource - does it use batteries or a rechargeable cartridge?
    expandability - how easy is it to add features, lenses, etc. to it?
    SIZE - if you get a large camera, you can't carry it everywhere

Good luck and have fun with your new camera! Let us now what you get.