1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dieting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dankstronaut, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I honestly can't tell if you're trolling or not.

But I did eat sashimi tonight lol

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

No way. You are pulling my leg...

3. davo

davo Contributing Member

It's a pretty simple formula, it just requires some discipline. They key is, you need to stick at it long enough to see some results and then you will be encouraged that it is worth it. Gimmicks or trying to be too clever will probably cause you to fail.

I reckon if you do most of the following you will be 90% of the way there:
    - Cut out sugary sodas and limit beer intake
    - Have sweets and desserts only once a week
    - Cut back on two meals a day and have one decent, fulfilling meal.
    - Exercise for 30 minutes every day if you can - moderate cardio is best
    - Reward yourself on weekends or special occasions, but try and compensate by doing extra cardio that day

If you can be bothered, use an app like MyfitnessPal to track calories - you will learn a lot about different foods.

Good luck, don't make excuses!

B-Bob and Os Trigonum like this.
  4. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I don't drink soda or beer. I do indulge in some sweet tea once or twice a week....I'm starting to get back on my exercise game, sore AF at the moment but I know it will get better lol

As far as the meals, I've been made to understand it's better to snack all day than it is to eat a couple big meals. Today I'm going to start replacing lunch with a protein/veggie shake. See how that works out, hopefully the decrease in calories sparks some weight loss. I'm down about 1.5ish pounds since last week. I'd take that every week.

I'm also working out at 9pm these days. I just can't hang in the oven/garage while it's 100 degrees. I've always done work in the morning or afternoons...so this is new but I like it. Helps me get to sleep too, which is something I've been having a problem with lately.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

What's in this fruit smoothie, including types of fruit? Are you making it yourself or is it in a package? Also, raisins are basically pure sugar.

Eating more fat is not counterproductive. The sugar industry convinced everyone a long time ago that it was fat, not sugar, that was bad for you. Recent research even shows that saturated fat isn't the problem everyone thought it was. Fat satiates you, so you eat less. Fat is also essential to a lot of bodily functions.

Os Trigonum and Astrodome like this.
  6. Daddy Long Legs

But did you eat sashimi? Youd feel light and clean right now if you did

7. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

To all CF vegans: What was your eating like before you went vegan? Do you take any supplements? Would you mind posting some sample meals that you eat now?

I guess I shouldn't say it's nonsense. If you're an animal lover, then I don't blame you for refusing to eat them. And any diet really can work. Heck, my parents did a low fat diet and lost weight, because they were paying close attention to what and how much they were eating. But anyone who switches to veganism for the health aspect is misguided. If you're giving up KFC fried chicken for freshly cooked veggies, of course that's great. But if you're giving up a steak or a pork chop for a Tropical Smoothie, that's not good. When it comes down to it, a home cooked meal of meat and veggies beats everything, including just veggies or veggies and carbs.

8. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

oh it cleaned me out alright. jesus.

i feel like one of them pelicans eating raw fish!

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

My diet was pretty boring and consistent for the most part haha.

Breakfast: 3 eggs with sauted onions and bell peppers with a little cheese sprinkled on.
    Snack: Cheese stick
    Lunch: 6-8 oz of chicken breast with veggies.
    Snack: Beef jerky or a couple slices of deli turkey breast with an apple.
    Dinner: Salad with almonds

I think the animal ethics portion of it, while still a viable argument, the weakest argument you can make for veganism. Personally, I did it because industrial animal agriculture industry is one of the biggest, most preventable culprits of environmental degradation and climate change. That and my personal health, which was suffering from too much sodium and fats in my diet. The studies linking casein and cancer are alarming too.

10. MacLovin

MacLovin Member

Look, there are studies saying everything these days and it's impossible to know who's right and who's wrong. You can go find whatever answer you're looking for. But personally, I would not have left your old diet. Like I said before, my doctor raved about my bloodwork, including that I'll never have an issue with blood sugar or cholesterol. And I eat red meat, dark meat chicken, sausage, eggs, and dairy all the time. Also, he mentioned that I was a rare person who's B12 and vitamin D came in as "normal". I believe most vegans supplement B12, and to me any diet that you have to supplement is not meant to be. I'm curious as to what issues you had eating too much fat on your old diet.

As far as the environment, check this out: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/earth/going-vegan-isnt-actually-th/ (If anything, I think PBS would be biased in favor of a vegan diet).

Moses81 likes this.
  11. Daddy Long Legs

You didnt have any sashimi...

12. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

yeah that's the one with just a piece of fish on a little rice ball right?

13. Daddy Long Legs

Sashimi is just the sliced raw fish by itself

14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

close enough. I'm probably going for shrimp tempura next time lol

B-Bob likes this.
  15. SirIvyLeague

SirIvyLeague Member

I swim, row, and sprint to condition hard from about February to Labor Day. I eat when I'm hungry, but make myself hungry through all that exercise. I'll get up to 185-190, pretty lean. I eat well for the most part but definitely eat junk too. I'll drink water, tea, Powerade, Gatorade, etc. Alcohol and there.

Then do a little exercise from September to February. During this time, I usually just eat during a few hour period and that's it. I usually eat like normal but based off appetite. Eat little to no junk and have a day here and there where I completely fast. I usually get down to 165, skinny but wide still. To the average folk, still conditioned. I just drink water and teas. Alcohol on NYE, but that's it.

When February rolls in, I'm basically primed to turn up after a week or two of tough conditioning drills.

16. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

Eggs cooked in olive oil or with nonfat cooking spray? Just wondering, thanks.

17. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Eating or snacking all day is more dangerous than anything.

Sounds like insulin spiking all day. Not good.

18. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

LOL. I dunno man, there's a lot of evidence that meat and dairy even in moderation contributes to a lot of diseases...I trust it. Hell, there are a lot of documentaries ( I know you probably think they're BS, but it may change you mind) about vegan diets, but specifically on Netflix, if you watch "Forks over knives" and "What the Health"...you may think differently. Just a suggestion. Oh and congratulations on having good health at 28 years old...but you may change your mind about your diet when you get to your middle and late 30s. Let us know how that goes :).

BTW, I eat:

Breakfast:

2 pieces of wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana sliced up on it covered with cinnamon. Soy milk to wash it down.

Lunch:

2-3 stuffed Tacos with :
    Beans (Lentils, black, or pinto)
    brown rice
    corn
    pico
    avocado

Water

Dinner:

depends but usually light with fruit

Between meals I'll snack on strawberries, blueberries, bananas, and almonds. Sometimes I'll eat some tortilla chips with hot salsa. Multivitamin every day.

I exercise about 4 times a week. Light weights and cardio.

19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Really?

It's not a lot of food though, it's portioned. 8 oz. fruit smoothie, about 1/4 cup of granola, about 1/3 cup of nuts, 1 meal replacement shake. I'm pretty much in motion through the day too. I feel better doing this than trying to eat a big breakfast, big lunch, big dinner...

20. Asian Sensation

Sounds like an outdated excerpt from Women's Health. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Cause you do you boo.

But I see your diet consists heavily on gluten and GMO's and you're washing it down with soy milk? Soy is arguabally more controversial than meat and or dairy.

I couldn't care less what you choose to eat because it's your choice. But how are you going to reference documentaries and preach a Vegan diet if you really don't know if meat and dairy is bad for you and leads to health concerns? Do I think soy is bad? I dunno... but there's a **** ton of articles saying it's terrible for you...especially guys. Then there's information linking benefits to it so who's right and who's wrong?

What I do know and find annoying with most (key word most not all) Vegans is they're usually trying to make 'subtle' "recommendations and suggestions" all the while passing judgement thinking they're holier than thou and are going to live this magical health issue and disease free life forever all while doing the world some great deed. I hope we all do but I don't think there's a clear cut path to it. But that's like just my opinion, man.

Os Trigonum likes this.