1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Diamond Ring Questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ChenZhen, Dec 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. ChenZhen

ChenZhen Contributing Member

There are alot of married people here and I need your help:

1. You know any sites that's informative on helping you chose the right diamond ring at the right price? Can give me websites or places in Houston that have good prices?

2. What kind of ring did you get your wife/fiance, and how much did it cost you? (Two month's salary? Give me the specs --carats, ect.).

Thanks in advance.

2. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Check out Diamond Cutters International . This guy is located in Houston on San Felipe. We bought my wife's engagement ring there...definitely reputable...his company has made several Super Bowl, World Series and NHL Stanley Cup championship rings.

Definitely shop around. DO NOT BUY DIAMONDS FROM THE MALL. Make sure to educate yourself beforehand....that way, you'll know what quality of diamond to look for that's in your price range. As far as the price is concerned...I don't know who gets away with two months salary. I ended up spending significantly more...but always get to use it as an argument winner. If you don't plan on keeping this diamond forever, make sure you get a decent quality stone...diamonds are pretty good investments.

3. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Well I can't really help you on where to go. I went to a private jeweler that grew up with my grandmother, so I was lucky in that respect.

As for what I got....from the jeweler I bought a set that had diamond baugettes on both sides. I think the total weight of that was around .6 carats. It costs me about $1,200 for that part I think. I didn't make much money back then, so I couldn't afford a very big diamond to put in the middle. Luckily my grandmother went with me, and said she had a 1 carat diamond solitaire that she would give me to put in the ring if I wanted. I thought that was really cool of her, and I knew my (now) wife would appreciate that.

The ring was originally yellow gold when I bought it, but most women these days prefer to where white gold/platinum. Right before we got married we had the ring dipped in white gold and it still looks good.

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Good thread Zhen. Why shouldn't you buy diamonds from a jeweler in a mall? I'm looking for at least a one carat diamond in platinum or white gold setting, how much does a 1 carat diamond go for in those settings? What are the "C's" of diamonds that I have heard about and where can I learn more about them? Somebody actually said Wal-Mart has good diamonds and jewelry, anybody else claim this as well?

5. PhiSlammaJamma

All I can say is that it's a sketchy business. Even at the highest level. So be careful. I watched some 20/20 show on it and they tested diamonds from everywhere. I can't remember a thing from the show but it wasn't good.

6. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

7. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

The jewelry stores in the mall tend to use price modification tricks to lure you in. They may, and probably do, have high quality gem stones. But their schtick is marking up the jewelry a significant amount and then advertising a huge sale price markdown as compared to their original price (which is never a good price or accurate as compared to average market values). In addition, alot of the sales staff in the mall stores are not professional jewelers. They don't design or make the rings, so it's not likely they would be able to create any type of custom settings.

As for the 4 C's... Carat, Clarity, Color, and Cut. Study each of these items and they'll help minimize the fifth and most important C (at least to guys)...Cost.

Just a note...buying a customized ring is usually not any more expensive than buying one off the showroom floor. Chen...find out what your SO likes and have something special made.

8. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

9. ChenZhen

Thanks VERY much for your input, I appreciate it guys. A very good idea. I can get away with paying less than 2 month's salary because we'd rather spend more money to get really good wedding rings instead. I've never realized diamonds cost this much!!! :)

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yeah, we went looking when we were in Chicago. I had no idea it was going to be so expensive. I think the band (both engagement and wedding) plus the diamond was going to be close to $12k total.

11. ChenZhen

12. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I owe my wife diamond earrings... 2 ears = 2 diamonds. She knows we can't afford them right now but I'm trying to get them and surprise her for christmas. Damn I'm going to be broke.

13. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm looking to get my wife diamond earrings for Christmas, too. I'm looking on eBay, but that looks like an absolute crapshoot.

The whole African diamond/slave industry puts me off "new" diamonds, so I'm only considering second-hand stones. I can rationalize it that way! :p

14. PieEatinFattie

You realize that buying them second hand doesn't change where they came from right?

15. GreenVegan76

GreenVegan76 Contributing Member

I know, but my money's not directly supporting that industry.

I said I was rationalizing it, not justifying it. They're still slave stones -- no matter how much "distance" I place between my purchase and the mining.

That's just where I draw the line on that particular issue. Not wholly logical, but the best I can do right now.

16. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

That's one of the bad things I have heard about the diamond industry. People getting limbs chopped off, paid very little or no money, and killings.

17. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I just don't get jewelry, diamonds in particular. I don't think I could ever justify spending such large amounts of money on something so small. (I mean, think of how great of a TV you could get for that kind of money! Or really good Rockets tickets! Geez, pretty much anything else.)

Ah well, I guess I'll just have to end up marrying some new age hippie chick who doesn't value material posessions...except that there isn't a woman alive who isn't obsessed with diamonds.

18. PieEatinFattie

So you’re diluting yourself to make you feel better about something that you really want. Kind of like the fact that I buy steak from a grocery store instead of buying a cow directly from a cattle rancher. That way I'm not directly supporting them and I can feel better about how poorly they were treated and brutally killed for my pleasure.

19. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Cows are yummy. Daddy likey.

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Man, Cut GV76 some slack. At least he's putting some effort into not supporting the trade, me, I'm buying my wife diamonds, probably new... and I eat steak. :p :D