1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democratic Senator Al Franken - Sex Accusations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I think we need a special thread for all these accusations against various people of fame and power.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

People are definitely saying that

3. No Worries

4. body slam

body slam Member

I know he has apologized, but has Franken actually admitted that he has done wrong or does he still not remember?

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's admitted that he's done wrong, and said that he's embarrassed and ashamed. He still maintains that he doesn't remember the various specific allegations.

body slam likes this.
  6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It sounds like the walls are closing in on Franken and there are rumors that a resignation is imminent. On the local MN news they are reporting that Franken is meeting with his family right now to discuss his fate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/06/us/politics/franken-harrassment-resign.html
    Schumer and Democratic Women in Senate Call on Al Franken to Resign

WASHINGTON — More than half the Senate’s Democrats, including the Democratic leader, Chuck Schumer of New York, called for Senator Al Franken to resign Wednesday, after a sixth woman came forward to charge that the Minnesota Democrat had made an improper advance on her.

“Senator Franken should resign,” Mr. Schumer said in a statement. “I consider Senator Franken a dear friend and greatly respect his accomplishments, but he has a higher obligation to his constituents and the Senate, and he should step down immediately.”

Mr. Franken scheduled an announcement Thursday on his future in the Senate, and Minnesota Public Radio reported that he would be leaving.

“Enough is enough,” declared Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York.

That future does not look bright. Ms. Gillibrand was joined by Mazie Hirono of Hawaii, Claire McCaskill of Missouri, Patty Murray of Washington, Kamala Harris of California, Tammy Baldwin of Wisconsin, Debbie Stabenow of Michigan, Maria Cantwell of Washington, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, Tammy Duckworth of Illinois and Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire, who issued statements in a coordinated effort.
    More at link..

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

According to this website: http://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/vacancies-in-the-united-states-senate.aspx

"Unlike vacancies in the U.S. House of Representatives, which must be filled according to federal law by elections, the U.S. Constitution gives states the ability to choose how to fill vacancies in the U.S. Senate. All states do so through an election, but they vary in two ways: whether the vacancy is filled at a regularly-scheduled election, or at a special election; and whether the governor can make an appointment to fill the vacancy during the period before the election occurs."

Vacancies Filled by Gubernatorial Appointment
    In the following 36 states, the governor makes an appointment to fill a U.S. Senate vacancy, and the appointee serves until the next regularly-scheduled, statewide general election.

Minnesota (2)

Franken's seat will only be filled by a democrat because the Governor is a Democrat
    This issue for me is the loss of seniority and committee seats.
    I will have to look some more but I think there is a possibility he can be replace by an Republican
    which could be a shift in power in those committees etc

Which is exactly why the Republicans are backing the pedophile

Is this precedent setting? I don't know

I think I will bet money they put a woman in that position.
    Not that it is good or bad but just seems the opportunistic thing to do
    Turn a political set back into a politicak statement/win

Rocket River

8. No Worries

Not a lot of due process here.

The lesson learned by Republicans here is that all you need is accusations to take out a Dem Senator.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Pretty much

Rocket River

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Opinion here in Minnesota is strongly divided but from a very unscientific sampling that I can see is there is a majority of people in MN that don't think he should resign.

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I think that's changing. The last round of allegations might have done him in. As this stuff keeps coming out, I think a lot of Democrats are ready to see him go.

It'll be interesting to see who replaces him.

12. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

rocketsjudoka of course!

13. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Considering I'm not a registered Democrat and campaigned and donated for opponents of both Dayton and Franken I don't think I'll be getting a call from Dayton anytime soon.

On top of that my rooting for Aaron Rodger's led Packers over the Vikings disqualifies me from holding any Minnesota office..

14. pirc1

I thought you were a card carrying Democrat :)

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Well I do hold a lot of cards..

I'm actually registered under the MN Independence Party (the party Jesse Ventura was a member of). I was pretty active for awhile with the party but since they are only a state party haven't been as active because of national elections. I did campaign and donate to Hillary Clinton last year.

16. pirc1

Sounds good, which party a person belongs should not really matter as long as the person uses logic reason and facts to guide them when making political decisions.

17. No Worries

The last Franklin accuser said Franklin during a photo op placed his hand on her hip and gave a gentle squeeze. She felt violated.

I suspect if at that time she had admonished Franklin he would have apologized profusely. If enough women had done so, Franklin would had stopped touching women all together.

I am calling BS.

Women their entire lives let men treat them poorly and now have a time and place to get their recompense.

This all goes back to my due diligence comment above. There needs to be a process, rather than some ad hoc nonsense.

Any bets that Franklin resigns, but Roy Moore faces zero consequences from the Senate and his fellow Republicans for being a pedophile?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

^ I just read Tina Dupuy's accusation of Franklin and I have to say this is an overreaction.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...ens-accusers-because-he-groped-me-too/547691/
    "We posed for the shot. He immediately put his hand on my waist, grabbing a handful of flesh. I froze. Then he squeezed. At least twice.

I’d been married for two years at the time; I don’t let my husband touch me like that in public because I believe it diminishes me as a professional woman. Al Franken’s familiarity was inappropriate and unwanted. It was also quick; he knew exactly what he was doing."

What Franken did sounds like borderline at best. He didn't put his hand on her butt but on her waist and the squeezed quickly. It sounds uncomfortable but not something that sounds very sexual and sounds like it could very easily have been accidental. I have no doubt that Dupuy might've been taken aback by it but I find this thin evidence to base that Franklin is some serious letch who is so damaged he cannot represent his constituents.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Kemplin says she had her side boob groped during a photo op with Franken? And, she's on CNN practically crying about it? I think this Kemplin girl is trying to get her 15 minutes.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Boom! Later, Franken!

we won't miss you