1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Democratic Piggy Bank Gets Dried Up

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by thumbs, Jun 27, 2018.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Wow, the Supreme Court just ruled that public servants don't have to join their respective unions against their will. That dries up the union contributions to political parties -- a huge percentage of which goes to the Democratic Party and their candidates. For good or ill, depending on your view, this is huge.

cml750 likes this.
  2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

[Premium Post]
    Devastating news for Democrats -- who have relied on these forced contributions (against union members' wills) for years. Now they have to earn donations, just like the other side. The Democrat political machine is breaking down beneath our very eyes.

GOOD DAY

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Shocked... the right wing republican supreme court rules against unions.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Actually, it was a ruling that now allows workers to join or not join a union based on their free choice. Often, public servants are forced to contribute to candidates they vehemently oppose.

Now, I understand both sides of the argument. Union members who WANT to be union members believe the non-union members will get a "free ride" on benefits for which the union has bargained. That is a valid argument for the union position. However, IMO I believe the freedom of choice is more important.

On the plus side, unions will have to consult with their membership and contribute money to campaigns based on individual mandate. This has not happened yet, but IMO it is the logical consequence.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I always thought it was wrong to force people to pay dues to a union simply because they worked somewhere. I'm fine with unions, but they should be completely voluntary.

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Tje last permanent job i had whad a union and it was optional to join

Edit: the dues in question went specifically to Collective bargaining

#6 pgabriel, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  7. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Devastating. How many public sector employees will want to continue giving these shakedown operations money voluntarily, now that they no longer have to.

Not very many. Watch and see.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it isn't wrong to force people to pay towards the union. That union got the people the working conditions, salaries, and benefits they have. If they work in that place the union has helped them. Why should they get the benefits, salary, etc. that other people worked so hard far?

It would be fair if only union workers got the pay raises, benefits, time-off, etc. and those that don't pay toward the union could do without those things.

So there might be a way for it to be fair.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Happy with this ruling.

Pro-union, but not pro-compulsion.

Invisible Fan, cml750 and MojoMan like this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

This ruling has been expected.

I do not disagree with the ruling.

Unions or those that represent workers will have to find another way to get funding without forcing employees to pay that do not want to.

cml750 likes this.
  11. cml750

cml750 Member

I think this is a great ruling. Nobody should be forced to pay for something they do not agree with.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

public sector unions in general are ethically questionable

there is no adversarial bargaining, it's two parties negotiating with someone else's money; namely, the taxpayer

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

or received the benefits the union give its members, right?

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Wow. . . . . ready to go back to the ROARING 20s . . . . . just in time for 2020

Rocket River

B-Bob likes this.
  16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Non-union workers have to negotiate for themselves. You definitely can't have people benefiting without paying in, it just doesn't make sense.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Took longer than I expected actually. Only open question for this country's future: 1920, 1820, ... or 1520?

Rocket River likes this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yes im sure people wiil start dying in factories again and working mandatory sixty hour weeks.

Im not anti union but all they are there for nowadays is wages.

I joined the union at a job and was unfairly let go, had paid dues but they could not do anything because i was still in a first few months probationary period. Fine im over it but the union at Atlantic Coffee Solutions the company, did negotiate salary right into running the company out of business. A year later the company announced it was closing doors. I made a financial employee meeting in the short time there and the company was telling workers they needed to cut wages.

On the Obama auto bailouts, all GMC's debt for instance was in pensions and healthcare costs to retired workers.

Houston"s fire fighters pension was gonna run Houston into bankruptcy. GMC didn't owe any money to banks.

#18 pgabriel, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

A little overdramatic, don't you think?

Public sector unions getting a kick in the pants is not going to send us back to Upton Sinclair's Jungle.

pgabriel likes this.
  20. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

@B-Bob just landed at Two Jima.