1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeMarcus Cousins contract vs. James Harden contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Clutch, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

DeMarcus Cousins:

Contract:4 yr(s) / $65,619,700
    Average Salary:$16,404,925
    Signed Using:Bird
    Free Agent:2018 / UFA

James Harden:

Contract:5 yr(s) / $78,782,188
    Average Salary:$15,756,438
    Signed Using:Bird
    Free Agent:2018 / UFA

Cousins seems to always be the subject of trade rumors as he has a very volatile personality. Fights with coaches and management often. So he might be available.

Typically you can't get much in return when trading a star. (Think of what New Orleans got for Chris Paul).

But trading these two straight up allows for both teams to get a fair return.

Harden will be happier in Sacramento closer to Khloe. Only 6 hours from LA.

Houston is a place where troubled stars can come and take their careers to a new level.

Cousins really, really wants to win, and doesn't complain about playing too much. He takes responsibility:

"I've been playing like s---, man," Cousins said. "That is our problem. It is me. I've been playing like absolute s---."

"I don't want to make any excuses," Cousins said. "I've been playing like s---. No other excuse."

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/25404342/demarcus-cousins-proclaims-his-play-is-the-kings-biggest-problem

He plays actual defense too!

And this year he has expanded his game to the 3pt line, so theoretically he could play PF. But I think C is his long term position.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Harden isn't being traded.

Stop being a terrible fan and support your guys.

3. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Look it's a mutual thing. Stop being a terrible player and win support from fans if you want respect from the fans.

4. Mr. Clutch

Morey is a terrible fan because he trades our guys all the time

Robert Kogut likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Definitely should make this move. Despite Harden's obvious greater individual and team success, this is a no-brainer.

Get it done Murlay

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

I still don't get all the love Cousins gets. He can put up numbers yet doesn't translate to W's. On top of that he has one of the worse attitudes in the league. a huge crybaby. Hasn't changed since he got in the league

7. Mr. Clutch

He's been on terrible teams. Never had good talent around him.

8. ibm

ibm Member

this.

but i'll say no to the trade. for one harden is not being traded, and cousins aint look like a franchise player either.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

guys like rudy gay, tyreke evans, collison, isaiah thomas are not without talent. that's no excuse if Cousins is as really good as people want to think he is. he's really not that good to me to the point where he makes his teammates better and translates into wins. Harden made the playoffs with lin, parsons, asik. enough said

10. Mr. Clutch

Those guys you mentioned are pretty mediocre

If that's the best he's had, no wonder

11. bmd

bmd Member

Cousins' teams have always sucked.

12. tdo

tdo Member

Wow... just wow. You want to trade a guy that's take his team to the playoffs 3 years in a row as a no.1 option, for a guy that has never taken his team to the playoffs as a no.1 option. And to make it worse you also stated that why he may be available is because he is always fighting with management and his coaches... There is not an emoticon with a big enough eye roll to display how I feel about this thread.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

we don't get better by swapping out a top player who hasn't even hit his best years yet, for a malcontent. I like Boogie and think he's the next big thing, but if we are looking for leadership...he's not it.

Anything we do going forward has to include Harden; he's a top 5 player. remember how hard it is to get one; even if he's not perfect.

14. YOLO

YOLO Member

sp i guess guys like lin, parsons, asik aren't mediocre and are stars huh.

funny how all those guys have been in the playoffs on other teams but sac. People want to overrate a player but don't want to hold that player accountable for the failures and want to go to the flawed "no talent around" claim

15. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

This might be the dumbest post I've seen in a while. Why can't I support my team to get better players??? Harden got paid a ton of money, got some fame and got lazy(er). He needs to decide if he wants to be a better Monta Ellis or be a champion.

16. Mr. Clutch

By your logic, you wouldn't have traded for guys like Garnett

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

why not? he led the wolves consecutively to the playoffs and has alot on his resume in terms of success.

what has cousins done? Exactly. Next

So again lin, parsons, asik are not mediocre right?

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I completely disagree about the talent. He's had it, but for whatever reason Sacramento (since the Adelman years) has had nothing but dysfunction from the top down.

Does DeMarcus get the blame... well certainly not all of it, but he's been the best player and should have been the leader for several years now.

So the major question is.... will DeMarcus be a much better player in a better situation???... IMO yes of course.

But are the Rockets that "better situation"... I don't think so in this particular case because if you swap Harden for Cousins you are trading one flawed star for another. Both with their share of shortcomings in the personality and leadership department. Either way you are rebuilding a culture around your flawed star. Why not try to rebuild culture around your current star first... you know the one who was the much better player the best couple of seasons.

However if you move Cousins to say... Miami with a theoretical Cousins for Whiteside swap (if it was possible under the cap rules), I think he would excel and be a difference maker for that organization with the leadership and support system they have ingrained in their culture.

The Rockets, IMO, don't currently have that culture to support a Harden for Cousins swap an expect better results. However I do think they could get it back to where it was previously, or better. I believe in Les & Morey, and think its only time before either Harden gets his act together & Morey puts a better complementary roster around him, or they reshuffle the decks in the future to rebuild that culture that he previously had in the Yao/Battier/Scola days.

I think your best bet if you are Morey is to stick with Harden as your guy now, and if the season continues to look bleak you rebuild a stronger character driven & complementary unit around Harden for his next act as a Rocket. Right now we are in wait and see mode with this current unit. They've shown some signs of life, but they need more time this season to either sink or swim.

19. Mr. Clutch

People said he wasnt good because he couldn't get passed the first round. The argument was weak, just like yours.

When you said that he should win because he had Rudy gay...thats pretty weak

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's weird to see fans clamoring for certain players, or certain moves.

If 3 decades of watching basketball, and the transformation of basketball has taught me anything, it's taught me the following:

1. Great players win.
    2. There are lots of great players.
    3. The difference between the great, great players and just great players, generally, are leadership, defense, bball IQ hustle and energy
    4. Great systems tend to bring out the traits in #3 in great players, and further sets the stage for the rest of the team to have success.
    5. Because of all of the above, you can't just trade for or expect to win with random great player after random great player.

Harden is such a boarderline case. And Dwight used to be as well, but is now clearly not "great, great". Harden has taken a step back... whereas last year he was moving in the right direction on both leadership and bball IQ, he's done a complete 180.

Cousins does not appear to tick the boxes in #3.

The Rockets don't have #4.

The Rockets would be better off trading for more Trevor Ariza's than getting Cousins, even if it was a deal where the Rockets seem to clearly "win".