1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defensive Lapses

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aleron, Nov 15, 2013.

?

What was responsible for this sort of failure?

1. Harden - they were all too shocked at him rotating correctly

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Dwight - he's meant to be able to block shots from the stands

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Lin - He should have recognised Parsons rotation and moved to Melo instead

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Parsons - He shouldn't have left Melo under any circumstances

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Coaching - The players were confused between defending the corner 3 and defending the Melo

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

As we all know, our defense has been pretty terrible, particularly our perimeter defense. However it's rare for their ever to be a play that can provide a microcosm of everything that is wrong with what we do, however against the Knicks, such a play existed, and for someone as gif illiterate as myself, nba.com happily provided the video for me.

http://www.nba.com/video/games/knicks/2013/11/14/0021300123-hou-nyk-recap.nba

At the 35 second mark the particular play occurs, a pick and roll, Dwight stays out with Bargnani, Lin goes over the screen, Harden helps across (so far so good), ok now both Parsons and Lin go to help on Shumpert's corner 3 (the guy was 40% from 3, close to 50 from the corners last year) leaving Carmelo Anthony miles wide open.

These are the types of lapses you expect from a lottery team, they're just abysmal, but without knowing what was supposed to occur, it's hard to pinpoint the exact reason for the breakdown, so on top of the poll choices (a couple not so serious), I'm curious what people think is the cause of this sort of mistake and what can be done. I'm not going to pinpoint McHale specifically in the coaching option because we all know he's not an X's and O's guy and if anything, i feel this sort of thing reflects on our defensive coordinator (Sampson) if it was indeed a coaching thing.

#1 Aleron, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  2. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

Parsons or TJones should never help off of Melo. It's breakdown of defensive discipline. It's reading the scouting report and executing.

Problem with our perimeter defenders is they help unnecessarily. We did have a pack-it-in defense last year, so it may be the new scheme that we are still not familiar with.

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

LOL at the first option. Harden played it correct, with the way Lin was going he probs should've taken the corner and Parsons stayed on melo. just another breakdown.

4. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

should of left Sump shoot that, hes 22.7% from left corner threes this year, however he was 43% last year.

Melo is 61% from the top left abover the break and was 38% from their from last year

so make of that however u want

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4n_AqfI-3ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

thats the embedded video above 35 second mark

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Pretty much sums it up.

Sometimes it's helping on the wrong guy. Does it really matter if a backcourt/wing player gets a step on his man going to meet Dwight at the rim? I'd rather just see how that plays out, and have the defender stay tight on the perimeter.

Sometimes it's helping off the wrong guy. Helping when your man is a deadly three point shooter.

And this is my favorite Rockets' defensive blunder. Two defenders helping at the same time. That's right, three defenders guarding one man. This gives the offense about a hundred different ways to get an easy bucket.

The Rockets are the most paranoid help-defending team I have ever seen. An offensive player gets a sliver of a half-step on a defender and the entire rest of the team collapses on him like they are preventing an imminent game winning bucket. What's the point of having players like Dwight/Omer if we don't trust them to protect the rim.

I'm really confused, because it's not like we have a team of dumb knuckleheads. It has to be the coaching staff telling them to do this. It really boggles my mind how poorly coached this team is. Even taking McHale out of the equation, we have some pretty experienced assistants on the sideline.

And if I had to pick a player on the video above, it would have to be Parsons.

#5 DCkid, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2013