1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Defectors...... I'm drawing a blank

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Kemahkeith, Dec 7, 2022.

1. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

For many a year before I joined Clutch Fans, I was part of the "Other Texans" talk board. They did a site update that basically made the site unusable. I think I always accessed it through the Texans web page.

I am drawing a blank trying to remember the old page name. does anyone remember it?
    Way to many ganga hits out of crushed Budweiser cans to remember.

2. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

texanstalk.com ?

3. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you.
    Now I can sleep tonight.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Texans Talk IMO is an accumulation of out to touch boomers who prefer the groupthink mentality. While our community here is smaller it feels as its more knowledgeable and open to discussion. It reminds me of our basketball forum here on CFans in a way LOL.

mario_v and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I look at both boards and don't agree with this take on TexansTalk. The discussions there are first rate. There are a number of folks who are quite critical of the current clown circus in Houston. Yesterday I saw some of most thoughful posts I'd ever seen about the current situation and what must be done to fix it, about how it came to be and about the need to hold EVERYONE on Kirby accountable in particular Caserio. Now if you want a steady stream of sunshine and butterflies blown up your butt, take a look at the r/Texans forum on Reddit where the battlered koolaid and pom-poms are out in full force every day.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

To each his own. I prefer to draw my own conclusions and not be attacked as an outsider and not worthy of including in conversation. That board consists of 10 guys in their golden years who feel their own views outweigh a discussion. Thats my personal opinion of the place and prefer a more modern approach to football talk. Im happy you enjoy the place no skin off my back. I enjoy this place for football talk and Reddit as my secondary discussion platform. Case specific sites always have a clique of regulars who act as if their poop dont stink in my experience.

mario_v likes this.
  7. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

You are CF or the enemy of CF

8. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I have been a part of several different boards over the years including overall NFL and individual teams.
    Every board has it's know-it-alls and azzholes yet I keep going back to texanstalk.
    Some of the guys are very knowledgeable and some are close to expert level on their critiques on different positions and/or schemes. Some of them are over my head.
    I have learned a ton there.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Thats awesome Im happy for you.

10. HillBoy

Well yeah but isn't that the nature of the beast?

raining threes and Verbal Christ like this.
  11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yes and I understand that, but if there is no inclusion into a discussion then it just becomes an echo chamber. Variety and differing opinion are the foundation for innovation. Its why this team continues to be a laughingstock and the fans not taken too seriously because we want the glory years of the Houston Oilers or something along those lines. We need young and bright coaches and managers who understand what it takes to win TODAY and until that happens we will always be just a small blip on the football radar.

12. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

Ain't you a cutie...

raining threes likes this.
  13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I didnt mean to rile you guys up .. if you have a better option to digest your "Texan Talk" then why slum here?

14. HillBoy

As an example, here's a post off r/Texans from ChubbyBrownBear. I believe this guy also does a podcast:

r/Texans
    •Posted by
    Chubbybrownbear
    11 hours ago

We have been talking about possible new coaches and staff, but what scheme do you guys want to run?

I know there have been lots of discussion about what head coach or offensive coordinator we would want, but I rarely see any discussion of what offensive scheme everybody wants to run.

So let’s go through the options. Here’s some info of some of the most popular offensive schemes and who is running them. Some of the explanations have been compiled from a variety of sites because I only know so much.

Hopefully this can spur some actual good debate.

Erhardt-Perkins: It originated in New England and it’s what Bill Bilicheck uses. This is also what Tim Kelly/Bill O’ Brien used. I have PTSD with this scheme because of TK. He didn’t really use it like Hoodie did. It’s supposed to take what the defense gives and it’s supposed to change from game to game. But TK did not do this. The problem is that it’s a complicated system for rookies because of the amount of learning that needs to be done from week to week. It also means that the OLINE would have no assigned blocks - which again is bad for rookies. The E-P tree includes Todd Haley, Mike McCoy, Brian Daboll, Nick Sirianni and Tim Kelly. Josh McDaniels worked with hoodie to modify it as well.

A lot of people here like Ben Johnson (Lions OC) but he runs an off-shoot of EP. Even Mike Kafka (Giants OC) borrows concepts from EP.

West Coast: This was made popular by Bill Walsh and Joe Montana in San Francisco. It asked RBs to do more work as receivers instead of simply rushing the ball. WRs & TEs are asked to run quick slants, shallow crossers, and quick curls or outs. HBs and FBs run routes into the flats or arrow routes near the line of scrimmage. Mike Holmgren, Mike Shanahan, Andy Reid, Jon Gruden, Eric Bienemy, Kellen Moore, Matt Nagy, Zac Taylor and Pat Shurmer all use this system.

Air Coryell (aka Vertical offense): relies on WRs that can get downfield or an athletic TE that can run WR-type routes. It also uses a power running game. It uses single RB sets with a big-bodied, power back but it is a pass-first offense. It puts players in motion to help the QB tell if the defense is playing zone or man coverage. Looking for the deep pass is the 1st option in Coryell’s system, then the QB works their way through their progressions if the deep ball is taken away. It requires a strong inside running game, the ability to strike deep with two vertical threats, and a solid mid-range passing game. Joe Gibbs, Norv Turner, Mike Martz, Bruce Arians and Jason Garrett all use this system.

Mike Shanahan: it is based on the West Coast offense made famous by Bill Walsh. However, the Walsh offense wanted to use quick, short passes as a substitute for a traditional running game. This part is similar to what Pep said he wanted to run prior to the start of the season. But the Shanahan offense created a wide zone blocking scheme that allows running to be a partial substitute for the passing game. The point is to force the defense into defending sideline to sideline. Personnel is often a 2 back set with either 2 TEs and 1 WR, or 2 WRs and 1 TE. Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, Matt LaFleur, Kevin Stefanski, Arthur Smith, Shane Waldron, Klint Kubiak, Todd Downing and Mike LaFleur all use this system.

So with this information does this change who you would want to come here? What are your thoughts?

Here's a link to the discussion:

whag00 likes this.
  15. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

That was the official Texans message board that did an update. then they were gracious (lol) enough to give the posting history for their original board to TexansTalk which was already a separately running fan site. then a couple years ago, TexansTalk did an update. I used to really like TT back in the day, but between longtime posters passing away and the team tanking, the site isn't as fun as it used to be.

16. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

Texanschat.com is also pretty active. It popped up after Battleredblog killed their community with an update.

17. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

I know there were a bunch of us that jumped ship at the same time, they did some crazy update and the site was just gone for i don't know how long. Never went back. I like the takes and the dysfunction on this board. It like thanksgiving get togethers every day with a bunch of crazy uncle Bob's, and drunk uncle Sal. But I do find most on this board very knowledgeable.
    Being in NY I truly have to get all my info from this board.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

There are other forums beside CF on the internet?

I don't understand.

19. raining threes

Dont know about TT, but what do you have against boomers? I'm one, maybe you could choose to learn from us? Nah, that's not what the people do these days. In fact that's why we are falling behind the rest of the world in education. Lack of teaching the 3R's and the inability of students to learn because they spend to much time on gender studies etc... It's nothing more than the dumbing down of America.

20. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I ain't trippin.
    I am always open to look around and check out more opinions. Sometimes one site can be dominated by a few and no-one else is brave enough to speak out against the status quo.

raining threes likes this.