1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dean Phillips 2024

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 13, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Based on the statement below, I don’t think he was demoted because he was Jewish, but rather because of anticipated outcry over his public support for Israeli soldiers. I suspect that had he not been Jewish and made the same comments the demotion would still happen, while if he didn’t make those comments he’d still have his captain position.

“We have been advised that protests related to the war in Gaza can be anticipated at the venues for the tournament,” CSA said in a statement. “We have also been advised that they are likely to focus on the position of the SA Under-19 captain David Teeger, and that there is a risk that they could result in conflict or even violence, including between rival groups of protestors. In the circumstances, CSA has decided that David should be relieved of the captaincy for the tournament. This is in the best interests of all the players, the SA U19 team and David himself.”

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't even know what to respond to that man. You need to check your moral compass.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

How 'bout we just ignore South Africa's cricket team in a possibly otherwise interesting thread about a politician I'd not previously heard much about?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Tl;dr? Ackman's tweet is the next topic for my monthly bookclub.

B-Bob likes this.
  8. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

More on Phillips please. Worthwhile topic

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’ll admit to possible bias as Dean Phillips is a family friend of one of my best friends. I’ve been impressed with him as a representative and think he’s been very good. He’s a moderate who very much fits the Problem Solvers caucus.

I actually agree with him that I don’t think Biden should just have a coronation and thinks a primary challenge might help by shifting some attention away just from the Republican side. That said I don’t think he has much of much of a chance at all defeating Biden.

Nook and AkeemTheDreem86 like this.
  10. AkeemTheDreem86

I've liked everything I've seen from him thus far.

11. durvasa

Your response is likewise perplexing to me. What do you think is the moral disagreement here?

I don’t think he deserved to lose his position over this, and it doesn’t appear that the people who demoted him think so either (they said he did nothing wrong).

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Here are some of the polls out of N.H. for Jan between DP and Biden.

Biden +33
    Biden +62
    Biden +58
    Biden +37

Worse odds than the Rockets coming back and beating the Celtics in the 4Q yesterday.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He did nothing wrong and got demoted anyway.

"for his own protection"

OK, let me fire some employees "for their own protection" even though they did nothing wrong. Let's see how that goes for me.

14. durvasa

Is that how you see this — the moral equivalent of having your employment terminated?

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

If you have done nothing wrong, you should not face any negative consequences. The old excuse "for his own protection" is either a lie, or it means bowing to the mob.

16. durvasa

Interesting. So, organizers of a sporting event shouldn’t shut it down if there’s a bomb threat, because fans and players who have done nothing wrong shouldn’t face negative consequences.

Or, is that different?

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

My goodness you are really dense.

18. durvasa

I think I see the situation pretty clearly for what it is. Organizers don’t want to risk violence erupting at the tournament, so they want a different person to be team captain. Sucks for the young man personally, and (even more importantly) sucks for free speech. Balancing respect for free speech against ensuring safety during a raucous crowded sporting event is difficult.

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nonsense. With your "logic", the mob always wins. Maybe that's simply your desired outcome.

20. durvasa

Unlike the organizers, you bare no responsibility for the people whose safety may be at risk, and so it’s very easy for you to be dismissive of this.

Political pressure (including from those pesky lefty mobs) is very often a factor when appointing someone to public, high-profile positions. A team coach or captain or broadcaster must avoid saying politically incorrect things, for instance. Same for a university president. It shouldn’t be this way in an ideal world, in my opinion, but alas there are a lot of easily outraged people in this world who like to cancel others for expressing “bad” ideas.