1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David West? Now or at trade deadline?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TEXNIFICENT, Aug 3, 2014.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

With Paul George done for the season and possibly beyond, I wonder how long or how many losses it'll take for a veteran like David West to become available. There's no guarantee that PG will be the same, Hibbert is a mess and there isn't much left after that. Indy will most likely be looking at that lottery next year I wonder if they'll take the Pelican pick in a package and just rebuild while shedding some salary in the meantime. He'd sure be a nice fit with Howard & Harden.

Thoughts?

2. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

He's getting old, and has a player option after this season. He would help, but I'm not sure the money is right.

3. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It would be extremely hard to get West in a trade wouldn't it? Just on salary matching alone....

4. KiwiRocket

KiwiRocket Member

David west would be a great fit. Tough veteran player, great post game and can hit the mid range Shot. I doubt it's the type of player Morey is after though. We're obsessed with getting this 3rd all star.

5. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Probably have to send Gee, Hopson, Covington, Powell, and either Jones or Dmo.

6. Sen89

Sen89 Member

West would be perfect. Hard-nosed leader who plays both ends.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Can stretch the floor, is a veteran and could possibly be retained on a long-term deal. He's exactly the kind of player we need.

8. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

I honestly would mind taking a chance on Roy Hibbert. I think with his ability to shoot a midrange jumper, he can play with Dwight. Now that would be a great twin towers, imo.

9. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I like this move if possible. Indy is probably looking at moving him at some point to get younger or a pick. Even if he takes his option he expires perfectly for a run at KD. This move actually seem feasible.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's tough. Gritty. That I like. Aside from that, I don't think he's good enough to be our 3rd piece. He's a tier 3 PF in the western conference at best, takes a lot of jumpers, doesn't rebound, cant get to the line and is slowing down. If we added West and that's all we did - still a weak offseason.

11. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

He's gonna become available because Indy is done. While declining some, he is the veteran leadership we desperately need to take the team to the next level.

The best we could offer is the NOP Pick, DMo and/or T-Jones, and the non guaranteed contracts (Gee, Hopson, Powell). Would that be enough? I don't know but I'd make the call and try as hard to make it happen. Hopefully we give up on Jones or DMo and throw a future pick in instead of losing them both.

12. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I feel like the NO pick and Jones could be enough honestly.

13. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Man, David West was a Rocket KILLER when he played in New Orleans. He always put up 30 against us

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If we can somehow get him without giving up TJ, it's a win.

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Makes some sense but at this point is he really better than Jones? It would be smart of the Pacers to punt this season get a top pick and then have George who is still very young have a running partner going forward. Older vets like West might be available for less than we might think.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

When you say he can't rebound, you mean he's averaged over 7 a game for his career right?
    He's only been playing around the 30mpg mark the last 3 seasons - and while he isn't a great offensive rebounder, he is, at worst, 'solid' on the defensive glass.

Not sure he'd be our 3rd piece, he'd be a 'depth piece', and something that could net us a 3rd piece down the track (ie, salary match, or expires to create cap space). He would be another defensively capable veteran coming into the lineup, bringing some toughness, and being a well above average NBA starter (ie, Ariza level).

Would not be the worst addition ever - but I don't see the Pacers as a team looking to blow it up right now.

1 person likes this.
  17. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Correct. Even Gee, Hopson, Powell and Terrance Jones wouldn't match.

This would be a great example of how bad the Lin trade was. Win Lin we could easily match the salaries and either involve a 3rd team, take back another contract or sweeten the deal (beyond the 1st we had to give up for Lin anyways) to make it work. With the TPE not being able to be combined, it really limits what can be acquired.

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Indiana has an $8million dollar point guard who can actually play basketball. Why would they trade for a $15million dollar point guard in order to shed $12million in salary?

Makes no sense.

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

The TPE also make it possible to take George Hill from them for nothing - so we could feasibly do a deal with Indiana before the season begins where we take on $20million in salary, and give them players they cut (Gee, Powell, Hopson) plus players they can either look at, or also dump (Motie, Canaan, Covington).

They could shed over $18 million, and be players in free agency next off-season, to go along with a high draft pick (because they tanked).

Now - I can see why George Hill would work for us this season, but I don't know why Morey would take on his 3 more years (given the plan he seems to have). Just pointing out how the TPE is more useful than the player.

20. Amir's Johnson

George Hill can play? Ha!