1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David stern, underappreciated and architect to NBA’s success

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LosPollosHermanos, Oct 28, 2023.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

We didn’t appreciate this guy enough. The league has been torpedoing since losing this gem

payaso, AroundTheWorld and Jontro like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Torpedoing in what way? Every time I look up, they're making more and more money. Last year, I think they had more revenues than ever.

MadMax, Jontro and gatsby like this.
  3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

quality

grape and Jontro like this.
  4. Jontro

Jontro Member

sturn would’ve given wemby’s mama to the nicks. aint nobody remembers the alamo.

Dredd and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I do feel like Silver has presided over the softest play and softest players in league history. I think it's a combination of rule changes, ref mandates and gen z. But the league is still exploding in popularity, so I can't argue with that. I have other sports to scratch my itch when the NBA goes full on diva mode.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, we can all have our likes and dislikes, but I was just trying to see where the torpedoing was. Like I can't stand flopping, can't stand taking games off during the season to rest, can't stand the Spurs being given Wemby, can't stand how social media has become how players create their own commercials about how hard they're working during the summer (like anything matters until the regular season), how everybody's worried about their "brand", how crappy players somehow manage to get a ton of money that better players may not be making, etc. But despite my dislikes, the NBA is doing a great job making money.

If quality were really that far down, I'm wondering where we would see it impacted on the bottom line? I'm asking because sometimes we may project our dislikes onto something and assume what we want to happen is what we see happening. But who knows - maybe the NBA really is falling apart and it'll all come to fruition in the next few years. I'm just saying it sure as heck doesn't look like it.

Invisible Fan and napalm06 like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

8. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Yup, that’s what I meant. In that clip alone you see what kind of guy stern was. Kept everyone in check and really kept the NBA as a competitive brand and kept most of the woke virtue signalling crap out.

silver is too soft

payaso likes this.
  9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So the NBA isn't a competitive brand? This just sounds like what I said earlier. A type of "what I want happening isn't happening, so it it must suck" when clearly that hasn't been the case thusfar. The league seems to be getting more popular here and overseas. Again, just trying to figure out if "torepedoing" means "I don't like what's happening" or "the league has been going downhill" or "the league is dead".

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

There are a lot of profitable companies that don’t reflect that directly in the quality of products they provide. Just look at our owners brands.

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Well, yeah, but look at McDonald's. Look at Walmart. Look at Temu. Maybe what you're expecting should change. For example, if I'm looking for great dining, I don't go to McDonald's (ok, maybe during McRib season). But at the same time, I don't say "McDonald's sucks - they're about to go under". Yum Brands built an empire off pretty much crappy food. They've been doing alright the past few decades. You can say the same about Tilman's empire. Not up to your standards? That's cool, but there are millions of people flocking to it because it's good enough for them.

I listened to the David Stern clip when it happened, and it was great because it put Jim Rome in his place, and most people loved Stern for it. I know I loved it. But let's also give credit for Bird, Magic, Hakeem, Patrick, Jordan, etc. for being architects of the rise and popularity of the NBA. I haven't seen anything be torpedoed since then. If anything it looks like Silver is keeping it afloat when its current GOAT is aging and there are a bunch of "pretty good" players averaging 20+ ppg. And like Tilman's eateries, McDonald's, etc., if you don't think it's up to your standards, then I guess find something that is or gloat when the NBA falls, because right now, they're churning money from the looks of it.

But, whatever - to each their own. :D

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Which David wins in a fight, Stern or Attenborough?

I think Attenborough because Sterns ded.

Dredd and LosPollosHermanos like this.
  13. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Why are you trying to tell me what I should be looking for in an entertainment league? By the way when you gave credit to the players guess who built the whole bird vs magic stuff? The rivalries of the 90s and earlier 2000s focused on by the NBA as they were…it was all David stern

im going in with my expectations and spending my $ where I see what I value and don’t (vice versa) so the McDonald’s etc analogies are pretty void

a majority of people will agree that the overall quality has sharptly decline. We watch basketballt, not because we love it just as much as before..it’s because there is no American professional alternative. The same reason people can acknowledge the rockets ownership torpedoed as well even if ticket sales etc are used as a metric to the contrary

14. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

He knows 'where the skeletons are buried' aka... why the entire Rockets background got suspended after the 1986 season rather than the Lakers trio of Worthy, Magic, and Kareem.

15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

Nah he was useless

Dredd likes this.
  16. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This looks like a "Shut Up & Play" thing. Where iron fist rule on player liberty is seen as strength. But there isnt much you can do in the social media age to stop "virtue signaling" expression.

Adam Silver banned Donald Sterling's long ineffective, racist ass out the league. When Stern never did, the same Stern who blocked a mega trade for arbitrary "Basketball reasons", so its not like Stern didnt have ability. No one thought Silver had the stones to ban Sterling, but he over-delivered. The Clippers were infused with new ownership, energy & successes after.

That's why there's the "woke" element. Because it directly improved on-court success of the worst run franchise in history, earned overall good will with players, fans & businesses. Silver also didnt overreact to China's ban on NBA after Daryl Morey's Hong Kong support. Thats as much standing up for American values over business as anything.

17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Goliath is a David?

Who wins in a bar fight David Schwimmer or David Hardisty?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify

I'm imagining that ATW's real name is David

AroundTheWorld and ThatBoyNick like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

ATW is like 6’6 or something, a tall task for Clutch

Maybe Clutch could just say Sengun sucks and isn’t a part of our future or something to cripple him.