1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

David Robinson to retire

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by steddinotayto, May 24, 2002.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

espn article

supposedly he'll play out his final year on his contract and then retire. IMO, i think robinson should retire now because he needs to heal and rehabilitate. what's more important? 10 million dollars or run the chance of losing the funtions in your legs and other body parts? though he got raped pretty badly by dream in the 95 playoffs, he's still a warrior and i will miss him.

2. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

Why is he announcing now? Who does he think he is, Julius Erving? Moses Malone and Bob Lanier both had more distinguished careers than Robinson, yet neither of them was sufficiently arrogant to take a year-long curtain call, as Robinson is doing.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Funny how we didn't hear that opinion when Charles Barkley took his year-long curtain call, and he's probably less distinguished than Robinson, considering he didn't win a ring...

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That was his first post and he registered just 5 months ago, so of course we didn't hear that opinion from him.

5. The Cat

Whoops... should've checked the post count.

I just hope those thoughts aren't representative of everyone...

6. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

All people and teams are different. They have different ways of doing things. Not all people will go all out on there day of resignment, while others will.

I don't see nothing wrong or arrogant about what David is doing.

He sure looks happy to me talking to the media. And if you think about it, that's all that really matters.

Why do people, not you in particular, have to have a bad way of making something good into something arrogant or cocky?

7. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Free publicity for the Carver Center & Academy, a philanthropic endeavor of his. I'm sure he'll thank SA as well.

8. JAG

JAG Member

Being a non-Texan Rockets fan, I probably don't have the same rivalry-based hate-on for Robinson that many of you do...In fact, my memories of him are pretty positive. For one thing, I have him to thank for maybe the single best playoff performance I've ever seen out of one player, the Dream. But seriously, I know he was sometimes a little soft, and didn't win without Duncan, but most of my recollections about him are of a pretty classy man. Maybe I've missed something, can anyone clear this up for me, or is it just residual hatred because of the Lone State thing, coupled with the Dream/Admiral rivalry for a while?

9. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

Robinson has been consistently overrated (especially his undeserved MVP) by the right-wing sports press precisely because he's "a classy guy". But sports is about winning and losing, greater and lesser, and you shouldn't get bonus points for being associated with the military or for wearing your religion on your sleeve.
    The focus on character has opened up a breach into which sportswriters can drive a cultural agenda. To be sure, there are aspects of character that correlate to winning. But "nice-guy" habits like signing autographs or not going with prostitutes are not among those winning qualities; whoring and dope-smoking didn't stop the eighties Lakers from being one of the greatest teams of all time.

10. Hydra

Hydra Member

The Little Mermaid had a more distinguished career than Sir Charles? You might as well say the same about Bill Wennington. When the Ensign is discussed as the best center of all time, then he can be considered the equal of the Chuckster, in other words, never.

11. The Cat

The statistics are virtually even, but Robinson has the one thing that Charles doesn't: a ring. Yes, Robinson had Tim Duncan with him the season they won the championship, but Barkley had his chances with Hakeem Olajuwon and Clyde Drexler, all on one team. This is essentially like the Dream vs. Ewing debate... similar statistics, but when it comes down to it, show us the rings.

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

<i>..........but when it comes down to it, show us the rings.</i>

Neither Karl Malone or Charles has won a Championship Ring, but Carl Herrera has two of them.

Mango

13. Hydra

Hydra Member

Similar statistics except for 6'4" vs. 7'1". That alone should catapult Sir Charles past the Sadmiral, plus check out the Chuckster's assist numbers. :eek:

14. Asian Sensation

15. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

I'm the biggest Spurs hater u'll find...but Mr. Robinson was the bomb.

He was a physical specimen, and along with Hakeem was one of the most versatile and best centers ever to play the game.

The only thing I really didn't like about his game was the 71 point outburst against the Clips to win the scoring title. I mean it's just a scoring title...Shaq deserved it that season.

Plus I got his replica jersey in the 8th grade! Woooo! Now he has to be good if i got his jersey!!! Right?? RIGHT?!!!

P.S. I have Hakeem (red), Penny, and D-Rob jerseys when they were popular in mid 90s. Stupid Penny. Biggest waste of talent ever.

16. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Amen. Don't forget about Will Perdue...he has like 3 or maybe more than that rings...lol

There is nothing more pointless than to argue that one player is greater than another due to how many "rings" they have won.

When Barkley first joined the Rockets, he, Drexler, and Olajuwon only played like 31 games together and they went 25-6. DOn't you think that if they had been able to play the full 82 games together that:

1) We would have been better than 57-25
    2) We would have had homecourt advantage over the Jazz
    3) We probably would have either come as close as anybody or had beaten the Bulls due to the fact that Olajuwon's Rocket teams always gave Jordan's Bulls troubles.

Hmmm...just forgot about Charles Jones and Earl Cureton...2 more players with "rings" - they're surely better than Barkley, Malone, and Stockton aren't they?:rolleyes:

17. The Cat

Before the statement you quoted from me, I said "similar statistics". Obviously, Carl Herrera's career statistics come nowhere near Karl Malone's or Charles Barkley's. Same for Will Perdue.

18. Mango

duplicate

19. Mango

.....but the point you are evading is that Duncan <b>led</b> the Spurs to the Championship and the Admiral was on the wagon. Same as Carl H rode on the wagon that Dream pulled for the Rockets in the mid 90's. Malone and Charles <b>led</b> their respective teams to the NBA Finals during their prime years which is something that the Admiral couldn't do.

Pip, Dream and Charles were all past their prime years when they were together on the Rockets.

Mango

20. The Cat

It's hardly the same argument. Robinson was clearly an excellent second option during the Spurs championship season, as many posters here stated a few weeks ago when comparing this season's team to the '99 version. Carl was, well, a scrub. Getting to the NBA Finals isn't a noteworthy accomplishment... it's like the Buffalo Bills in football. I was a Bills fan, but I know that their legacy will be losing four Super Bowls, not making four Super Bowls.

The season I was discussing was the 96-97 team, when Dream was very close to his prime and Clyde was still a very good guard. Dream in that season was comparable to Duncan in '99, and Barkley served almost the identical role of David Robinson: the second interior player. When it came down to the wire in Game 6 against the Jazz, it was our offense's inability to get a basket that ultimately proved to be our undoing. The Spurs had similar situations in 1999, but found a way to win.

It's not always about being the star. It's about performing the role your team needs you to do. Whether you're the star or the second star, the goal is to win championships, and David Robinson did better in that regard than Chuck. I love Chuck as much as most here, but IMO, I'd rather have a career average of 22 points and 11 rebounds while winning a championship as a 2nd option than average 22 points and 11 rebounds and get to the Finals as a first option. It's debatable, I suppose, but I'll take the ring, first or second option. Just IMO, of course.