1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Griffin doesn’t think Houston’s roster fits, and may have taken a significant step backwards.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Oct 19, 2018.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't think he got fired by Lebron.
    It was a weird situation of ownership being somewhat culturally inept.
    They mutually parted ways.
    You might say "sure, that means he was fired by Lebron"
    But my recollection and indeed the articles from the time don't paint that picture.

In any case, he's smart on basketball, no doubt. He has a very DM type personality... not that they'd see eye to eye on everything... but the personality as a GM seems similar.

2. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

He must have been their nucleus!

3. pli777

pli777 Member

This guy might be talking out of his ass but what he says we all know is true until proven otherwise

Sajan likes this.
  4. bj3175

bj3175 Member

*lebrons puppet." The Team has got some meshing issues. Two core players are gone and you have new players coming in. Its a learning curve to get the team on the level it was last year which means time. Its ok to have slippage in the regular season as long as you are building championship habits for the playoffs

Richie_Rich likes this.
  5. High Vibrationz

I see his point ,and is somewhat valid ,ennis can replace ariza ,the big question is how much will melo defense hurt us ,and mcw 3 point shot ,ok the offensive side we can just ban mcw from taking 3s problem solved and drive in ,we dont have a 3 and d player for the bench which i believe we need just in case melo has an off night offensively so we can plug in as a matter of fact thats probably the best idea for this team.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Here is the criticism I am fine with:

* Did the Rockets get worse in terms of their GSW playoff matchup? - I don't know. But I think that is fair to wonder. I am not going to jump on that.

Here is the criticism I am not fine with:

* Did the Rockets gets worse in terms of the "regular season" where Utah will have a better record in the West.
    * The Rockets got worse because they "changed" but Utah is better because they "did not change."

Also, David Griffin wanted to CHANGE Cleveland many times. And tried many times to trade for Paul George. Why? Shouldn't he have stayed pat to have "consistency?" How come Griffin can CHANGE his team, to get better but Morey CAN'T change his team to get better?

THAT is the problem. The hypocrisy.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He has logic.....but it is hypocritical. So how much is it worth in the end?

Griffin tried many times to CHANGE the Cavs to make them better. Morey changed the Rockets to make them better, but they are now "worse" according to Griffin because of "change" vis-a-vis Utah who didn't make changes.

Hollow words Griff.

(BTW, I generally like Griff's commentaries. But he is wrong here).

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

WE REPLACED MOUTE WITH ENNIS, ANDERSON WITH CARMELO AND HAVEN'T REPLACED ARIZA YET.....BUT ARE LOOKING AT TRADES AND BUYOUT MARKET. ;)

slothy420 likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Now we are getting somewhere.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

This is by far the most rugged one game stretch that the Rockets have ever had to endure.

vlaurelio likes this.
  11. jcf

jcf Member

I really don't understand the timing of the retirement. I get that people get tired of working and want to retire. But, if as many think, this is our window with at least some chance of winning it all (as shown last year), why retire now? I would think you would want to spend one more year seeing if the team can do it before calling it a day.

Seems like it must be something else that caused him to walk away.

12. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

LeBron wanted to keep him. Dan fired him anyway to show lebron who was boss.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

At the end of the day its about players. We lost two of our best defensive players maybe he felt he couldn't be a good coach with current players.

14. BigBum

BigBum Member

true

15. BigBum

BigBum Member

true

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It's not that these TV commentators don't know basketball; it's that they don't follow the Rockets very closely.

17. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

It's only one game and many people have taken shots at us, this is going to be a long season.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

DaDakota agrees.

DD

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Les went in all or nothing. He knew the following year would be difficult if they didn't win.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

To say this team isn't as good as last year is no insult to this years team …. Last years team was historically great despite not winning a championship. Only 16 teams have won 65 or more games in a season in the history of the league , going back to 1949.

They probably had a top 20 season all time …. by the numbers. Only problem was they ran into a team that broke the league because of a salary cap anomaly that allowed them to add a league MVP to a team that already had a league MVP and two other all-stars and were a hamstring injury away from dethroning that juggernaut in 6 games.

The Vegas sports books have this years over/under 55.5 to 56.5. That's a far cry from the lofty win total of last years squad. They did take a step back …. that's no slight to the current squad but giving last years team the respect its due.