1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

David Carr

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Goodoleboy, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Goodoleboy

Goodoleboy New Member

I think Carr will develop into one of the premier Quarterbacks in the NFL. I saw a picture of him this season and he is huge. Must have been hitting the weights hard this off season. Here is an article a friend of mine wrote that you probably havent seen yet:

http://www.fanspirit.com/

#1 Goodoleboy, Apr 30, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2003
  2. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Yeah, he needed to hit the weights. He was too skinny all the way around.

He didn't seem to have any balance or strength in his legs either.

I hope he's worked on his lower body.

http://grego_3434.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/carr.jpg

3. spence99

spence99 Member

I didn't see any problem with his strength last year. He definitely throws bullets. What does he need more upper body strength for? How will that help him on the field? I think David Carr showed great promise last year. Now hopefully the rest of the offense can improve around him.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I love David Carr. Thank you.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

David Carr was one of the strongest player on his college team. He benches over 300lbs. You guys have no idea what you are talking about.

6. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

David WAS one of the strongest guys on his college team. He admitted that he lost alot of strength last year. That is why the picture they posted on the Texans site reads, "Fresno, I'm back". He bulked up to being even stronger than he was in college.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have this fear that him getting too bulked up is going to effect his performance throwing the ball. Kind of like getting bulked up hurt Richard Hidalgo hitting a baseball.

8. JamesC

JamesC Member

Just about every college football player benches over 300 lbs.

9. Chip123456

Chip123456 Member

He benched pressed 400 lbs. last offseason. He has wired strength. He won't look big but he'll be strong as hell. Kind of like kevin Garnett. Small bones but tough muscles that wrap around.

10. Chip123456

Chip123456 Member

By the way, that's a Fresno State jersey. That picture is from his senior year. It's not recent. And i've heard he's gotten bigger than that.

11. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

Carr will never be as good as Palmer is now. Carr is overrated and will be an average to slightly above QB. He has no poise, he has no pocket presence, and he has never known how to regularly escape or avoid the sack.

As a senior his numbers were impressive with his 46 TDs to only 9 INTs and 4,800+ yds, but just the prior season he had 23 TDs to 12 INTs with 2700+. Not only that, he was known to not throw the ball away, or hold the ball too long and take a sack.

Per NFL.com:

While he shows accuracy on his long passes, his arm strength is adequate, as he tends to arc his deep attempts … Holds the ball too long, inviting the sack, rather than dumping it off or throwing it away … Makes proper checks, but does not have a variety of throws … Needs to improve his pass drop, as he does a lot of three-step motion and will hold the ball a little too long, taking the sack rather than throwing it away.

Add to that he has no touch what so ever. He coils up and rifles the throw 40 yards down field with the same power he uses to hit Gaffney over the middle.

At least there is Ragone and the possibility of Henson to mix into out very first QB controversy!

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you a Texans fan?

13. DavidS

That's what I'm talking about!

14. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

Carr could be blasted with radiation and turn into the Hulk on Sundays, it still won't matter. Untill the Texans put a line in front of him he is a sitting duck and WILL eventually get hurt.

15. DavidS

I don't understand this. Goodoleboy post something about Carr getting stronger and all we hear about is, "He's strong enough!" or "It doesn't matter, OL is all that matters..."

Almost like it was a criticism or something.
    Man, ease off on the Homerisim!

Geeesh!

Young, Aikman, Farve, McNair were all different players from their rookie season compared to their prime years. And a lot of it was due to strenght training and conditioning.

It DOES make a difference.

16. Goodoleboy

Goodoleboy New Member

Here is a link to the weight program they have had Carr on off the Texans Official site. It looks pretty solid to me though I do not see much leg work. There is a recent picture of David there but its such a big size you really cant see much. They need to invest in photoshop over there. Looks like a solid program to me and its nice they share this info with fans.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/index.cfm?page_type=sub&cont_id=174676

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think you're wrong....so i'm preserving your post here so you can't go back and edit it! :)

i'm guessing...hmmmmm...cowboys fan?? :) 19-10.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It has nothing to do with being a homer. Carr has his weaknesses. Stregnth isn't one of them. Its well documented how strong he is.

19. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

And what did Carson Palmer do in 2001? Try jack ****.

2700+ yds, 13 TDs, 12 INTs.

20. DavidS

Yes, but this post wasn't about his "other" weaknesses. Let's refine what we mean when we say, "stronger." It means a lot of things: power, explosiveness, ability to cut, evade, elusiveness, quickness and speed. These are very important. We aren't talking about just being able to bench press 300-400. We're talking about specialized training that helps the QB become more mobile and powerful.

And if you think that he wont get stronger, quicker, faster compared to his rookie season, you're fooling yourself. Being able to lift a weight in the gym is a lot different than running for your life on a Football field (with 300lb defenders coming at you at full speed!).

Fact is, when Carr gets pressured, he's unable to get free from defenders once they put their hands on him (or if they just bump him off balance).

These are things that I've noticed that Aikman, Young, Elway, and Farve improved on. They were able to shake off defenders that were hanging on them, or avoid them all together.

This has nothing to do with his "other weaknesses." It has to do with his ability to get away from defenders or create plays, WHEN the Offensive Line (or WR plays) break down.

Passing on the run when someone is hanging off of you is important too. Strength training and conditioning are part of helping improve those situations.

True, reading defenses and improving the OL will help Carr "get the ball off w/o pressure." But we weren't talking about that. Strength and conditioning isn't something you can just discount and say, "Oh, Carr's strong enough. It's not important..." Wrong.

So, maybe my idea of "strength training" means something more to me than just brute strength.

#20 DavidS, May 2, 2003
    Last edited: May 2, 2003