1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryle Ward's Back

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, May 15, 2004.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Since your original post, Ward has gone 2-10 (both singles) with 0 HRs and 1 RBI. Since your original post discussed how he was "tearing it up" after only 14 at bats, I guess we can use 10 at bats to measure how bad he now is.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

They originally wanted DW for Soriano and the Astros balked because he was supposedly "untradable". Thats when Alou came along.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Soriano was considered that good a prospect back then?

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't remember Soriano not being a highly touted prospect. I'm surprised that we wouldn't give up an outfielder to fill the shortstop hole; a one that we've seemed to be trying to fill forever.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Soriano and Everett were the two premier SS prospects at the time.

6. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

Very true, he took too long to develop. But was he making that much money to let him go? He has 30 to 40 HR potential but unfortunally we can't live on potential so I can see why he got traded, but what i don't understand is why he got traded for the player he got traded for. Is he still playing?

7. haven

haven Member

I don't think the Astros have done a great job of maxing out on the players they've traded the last few seasons.

Seem to just trade them at the wrong time. Ward should have been traded a year earlier for some serious talent. Wagner could have been dealt at a trade deadline for a significantly larger price than we got for him.

8. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

who? sidney ponson?

9. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Alright, I'm confused...I saw him as a Pirate last night as he hit 2 HR's at PNC Park...He's been on a tear...What gives...

DW as a Pirate

10. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

He has answered you back with a 2 HR game (coming up with the go ahead Run and RBI) helping his team come back from a 1-7 runs hole.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's been longer since he was productive in the Bigs than since going in a mini-slump in May.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

WOW... I was just watchin the Pirates vs. Cardinals game on MLB.TV, and D. Ward is flat-out raking the ball.

He's a SINGLE away from the cycle right now... 3-3 (2B, 3B, HR) and 6 RBI's.

Apparently, the Cardinals still think he hits like its 2002 as well.

Here's to D. Ward's best game in his career thus far...

13. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

He just hit for the cycle!

14. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

He just completed the cycle . :eek:

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

Well for those that think that so called fat lazy guy just hit for the cycle.I guess getting away from the good ol'e boy team was good for him.

16. synergy

synergy Member

Take that astros!

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hey... nobody here should blame the Astros for giving up on this guy. They gave him a full year +, and his tendencies were all pointing to a negative direction. He had ALL OF LAST YEAR as well, and he did nothing... no team even wanted him.

Getting sent down and having to build himself back up again was the ONLY thing that could have led to this outbreak. It wasn't 'magicaly' going to happen if we had continued to play him in the outfield... he had to hit rock-bottom before he could taste success again.

I, for one, am happy he eventually did.

Now, eddie griffin?... hmm.

18. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

kenny lofton

19. edwardc

edwardc Member

AMEN given up too soon that's what the astro fan gets.he just another member of the good players the astros have let go club.

20. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

So you think the Ward was doing so good with the Astros that you were pissed when they go rid of him?