1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryle Ward sent to AAA

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bobrek, Jul 24, 2003.

1. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Ward and his .183 batting average and .193 slugging percentage was optioned to AAA after last night's Dodger game. He has 20 hits for the year, 19 singles and 1 double.

2. Major

Major Member

Wow. What the hell happened to him?

3. bobrek

He realized he was traded for Ruddy Lugo. :eek:

4. BALLhog 247 365

i think hes gotten fatter and cant swing as fast...or run...where is rudy lugo anyways?

5. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Daryle Ward was pretty bad last year as well. This doesn't surprise me. People have always said he had the potential to hit 40 home runs but the older he gets the fewer he hits.

6. bobrek

Round Rock (AA). His record is 2-10, but I think at one time it was 0-10. Round Rock is having a pretty bad season this year.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

somewhere Brad from Spring Branch is in tears.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

I liked him too. He really hit the fan.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Ward still hit for average last year though, just not power. I just don't see how he could hit 276 and 300 for a huge chunk of last year, then fall to 183. Well, Pat Burrell and Konerko might know.

10. Timing

Timing Member

He's just never gotten into shape and it's costing him now. Boy I'm glad we traded him.

11. Buck Turgidson

Quick bat, beautiful swing, tons of potential, zero work ethic.

12. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

"ah, bat. He afraid of curve ball."

13. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

Try this on for size...

Ward hasn't gotten consistent playing time all year. He is playing in a notorious pitcher's park. When he batted, he was positioned in the bottom of the order with no protection around him. I'm sure he has lost some of his desire to play the game of baseball.

When he finally makes it to the American League, he will be the next DH extraordinaire. Near .300 average and 30+ HRs yearly.

It will happen.

14. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I wished we had traded him when we had Moises Alou playing in the outfield. Ward was traring up the ball off the bench and predicted to be a 40 HR guy. His trade value was so high and other teams kept inquiring about him. But since we couldn't see the future and he was to be Alou's replacement i understand holding him.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

what in the world would give you that idea? i'm not saying you're absolutely wrong. but come on! even in a pitcher's park, the guy isn't hitting about freaking .200.

there's a reason he isn't getting regular time anywhere with any team.

OVER-RATED..dum...dum...dum dum dum....OVER-RATED..dum...dum...dum dum dum.

16. Major

Major Member

Ward hasn't gotten consistent playing time all year. He is playing in a notorious pitcher's park. When he batted, he was positioned in the bottom of the order with no protection around him.

Other part-time players who play in LA and bat at the bottom of the order don't bat .180 with no power.

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I thought he would be better than that...We should have traded him when he had value, but oh well...

Go Stros'!

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If this is what Ward is doing with his ABs now, what makes you think any AL team would use him as their DH, a position whose sole purpose to to produce runs? Maybe if he did go to the AL and DH, you might be right, but I don't see any team ever giving him that chance.

19. BALLhog 247 365

i think its a matter of getting in shape for ward...just like for hidalgo.

20. fredy

fredy Contributing Member

man I truly believed he would be a big time home run hitter. I remember how he would come in and pinch hit and he would hit a home run. I also remember when we played the braves in the playoffs and I think he was the one that had the only run with a homerun in the first game of a 3 game series.