1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I don't think that Morey deals in absolutes, everything is a gamble.... but the positive view of some of the coaches, coupled with the age and likelyhood of improvement by Canaan had to make the Brooks trade easier.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Agreed.

Also, I wonder if there is some expectation that a veteran PG free agent may be available should one be needed.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

3/4/14

790 – will lebron scoring 61 last night help you guys, like maybe he’s tired and can’t do much tonight you think ?

Morey – Leborn is great he can score of start assisting, that’s why he’s the best player in the NBA he can beat you many ways. So we just have to come out ready.

790 – so will canaan get start getting some minutes I know he has played great in D-league and Lin has been in a slump lately, Is that something you guys have talked about ? or is that something you cant answer.

Morey – well lin is proven, will believe in him and not just going to get replaced because he’s in a slump. If anything canaan would get mins because of lins back problems hes been having. I’m not sure if lin will play tonight or if he will have minutes restrictions. So if canaan plays its because lin can’t go or lin only can play spot minutes because of his back.

790- with bev back playing against his old team that cut him, you think he will play with a chip on his shoulder tonight ?

Morey – well hes a guy who should’ve been in the NBA should’ve never got cut, they cut him the year they didn’t win the title to have room for vet players. Bevs a guy that’s always going to bring energy when he’s on the court.

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Damn. I was hoping Lin's (and Dwight's!) back injury wasn't too serious. As much as he's been struggling, I'd still rather have him out there than Canaan.

Let's hope the next 10 hours are good for both of theirs backs.

5. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

This guy gets it.

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Did you really expect him to say anything else? Come on, he knows enough not to create an unnecessary controversy right before we play Miami. Morey said exactly what you would expect any GM to say.

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't believe Morey would say,

"Well, Lin has been sucking like a whirlpool lately. I think it would be best to further destroy his confidence, not to mention his trade value in the summer (although this is probably shot), by letting him rot on the bench, staring with well-disguised malevolence at the 'Lurch-Step Lurch-Step' coach who never cared for him in the first place, while a 2nd round rookie is given his minutes."

Although I would like to see Canaan given minutes, it'll only happen when we have blowouts. And I hope today isn't one, because WE ain't blowing the doors off THEM. Unless LeBron breaks a leg before the game.

8. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

Of course he's not going to shred Lin up. Lin is proven and Canaan isn't. I just wanted to point out that regardless of Lin's performance so far, Canaan is NOT going to get minutes unless A. Lin is injured or B. Blow out game. Currently, theres a discussion going on that Canaan should be thrown into the fire but from what Morey is saying, the kid is not going to get PT unless A or B occur.

9. Nook

Nook Member

"Well you see, Jeremy is a really hard player to figure out. He wasn't drafted, we had him in camp and actually wanted to have him on the team but didn't have space. We liked his size and thought he could be a good bench player. He then goes to the Knicks and absolutely explodes. Our owner got really pissed at me and wanted to know why I still didn't have any stars and let one get away. I tried to tell Les that it wasn't going to keep up but after every game in Linsanity he became more and more angry. That off season Les demanded that we sign Lin so that we would have a star. I thought, what the hell I will get to rebuild at the same time.

I sure as hell am not going to say anything critical about Jeremy because he will wilt like a picked flower under the sun. He is just bizarre. We like him, we really do, great penetrator, he tries hard, has the ability to create for himself and others.... but I don't know what the hell I will get from him minute to minute. McHale just shakes his head and says Beverley competes." - Morey DRUNK

1 person likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Actually yes. If that's the direction the team is heading, I think he have could easily said, it's up to the coach as he has so many time when it comes to who play and who doesn't.

11. bongman

bongman Member

If none of the New York pt guards weren't injured, do you think anybody here would be mentioning JLin's name? JLin got his opportunity and he showed he is NBA material. I am in no way endorsing Canaan as I know little of him but dismissing him as a temporary or permanent replacement because we favor a particular player is not really fair to him or the organization.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah the guy who tried feverishly two weeks ago to trade him gets it.

Look the Rockets are stuck with Lin and Asik until the end of NEXT season more than likely so Morey and McHale know they need to I everything in their power to salvage the best possible performances out of them in the short term.

Long story short if Canaan ends up surpassing Lin the team is screwed unless Canaan is a stud which he's almost surely not. I'm not high on Jeremy Lin the player at all (love the person and what he means off the court culturally) but as a Rockets fan I'm rooting him to get better and more consistent because if not he screws the Rockets with his dead money contract that could be used on 3 players that help this team win.

13. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

<iframe width="670" height="377" scrolling="no" src="https://media.iheart.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=24423365&siteid=589&startButtonColor=0xA33335&share=http%3A//www.sports790.com/media/podcast-the-proper-gentlemen-of-sports-propergentlemen/tuesday-march-4th-2014-2-24423365/&podcastFeed=propergentlemen.xml&programName=podcast" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

Starts around the 20 minute mark.

14. Play07

Play07 Member

morey is pissed, he kept saying they caught him at a really frustrated time.

He really wants the 4th seed, said we have a chance to right our wrongs

Morey- bev & Howard are the best defenders on the team we really miss them, they both will probably still by out Friday

Morey- the teams that have been beating us have been having key players out also so it's no excuses, we could have got a few of these games

Morey- okc has won plenty of games without Westbrook before so we have a chance Friday to win one without one of our key players

790- asked about Hamilton said he's really been struggling

Morey- well all of our backup wings just haven't been able to give us what we needed this season. Hopefully someone can turn it around

790-asked about hardens playing time

morey- we'll he missed a lot of games at beginning of the season and that's when jones really stepped up on offense, at this point I'm concerned about winning and getting home court we have to turn this around

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Sounds like Morey knows how important home court in Round 1 is for this team. Did he give any indication when Howard would be back? If the 10-day window is legit, that means he should theoretically be available by the time the Rockets head out on the 3-game roadie next week. Maybe even Sunday night against Denver if that 10-day window was retroactive to last Friday after the Sixers game. I'm getting a little concerned about how tight-lipped the organization and Dwight are being about his absence.

16. Play07

Play07 Member

he said he wasnt worried if it was playoffs game 7 he wouldve played last night. Just said he wants him 100% going into playoffs. Sound slike they are trying to let him rest take it slow but we just arent winning.

I got the feeling today from him that he really wants 55wins and homecourt for him to feel like this season was success

seems like he doesnt care about the injuries because he kept saying other teams have had them too

17. rocketman84

rocketman84 Member

Well we aren't gonna win Friday so it's going to be a close race. Good thing we have the tie breaker against portland and GS. We will need portland to a couple though

18. dobro1229

He has a right to be pissed. This is what... year 4 where his team has showed no effort at all in the last couple weeks of the season, and it bites them in the a#$ every year. Last year, they almost missed the playoffs when they should have had it locked up easily, and would have missed it had Jermaine Oneal not go caught goal-tending in the Phoenix game.

The 4-5 spot in the playoffs will probably come down to 1 game between Houston and Portland, and last nights game will be one they look back at and say they should have won. Oh and its pretty much a fact.... If Houston doesn't have home court against Portland, there is very little hope for them getting past them in round 1 unless they can stretch it to 7 games, and steal one in Portland... which will take a miracle game.

Also, Morey has to be a bit disappointed in the moves he made as well. The Lin signing is coming back to bite him in the arse worse and worse as time goes on and Gogi keeps tearing up the league, and to a smaller extent the Brooks/Hamilton trade which looked like a score at first, and now has turned into a nightmare trade.

I think both moves were justified at the time, but the players he picks have to perform, and in both cases they have not lived up to their expectations, and that has to be frustrating.

19. dobro1229

They have an easy homestand the rest of the way. I could easily see them winning out the rest of the way. Every game but the OKC and SAS game is a must win, and you probably need to steal one of the two games vs OKC/SAS.

Portland is deadly at home especially in the playoffs. If they have to face them without Home Court, they could very well end up with a 1st round exit.

20. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Well, that's the impression I got when Dwight first sat out for a few games after they lost to the Heat. He was in uniform on the bench and in good spirits, so I figured they were just playing it safe. But now he cryptically announces out of the blue that he'll be out 10 days and there's been very little followup on that. The last news of any kind that I read about Dwight was in the recap of the Raptors game last night where it was reported he had his ankle drained of fluid for a second time.

I hate to rush him back, but if the Rockets don't get a win soon, they may not have a choice. Unless they decide to just concede home court to Portland and hope they can steal one on the road.

I agree with Morey about the injuries. Just look at the last three games. The Clippers lost Griffin in the first quarter. The Nets were missing Garnett and a few other guys. The Raptors were missing Lowry and Johnson. The Spurs have had key guys in and out of the rotation all season. The Thunder played without Westbrick for 2 months. The Clippers lost Chris Paul for a month and a half. The Warriors have gone without Iggy for several stretches. The Suns lost Bledsoe for a while. And the Grizzlies had Marc Gasol out for a long time. Every playoff bound team in the West has had to deal with major injuries save for the Blazers who had Aldridge out for just a handful of games(and did poorly in most of them). It's a fact of life in the NBA and there's no point in making excuses.