1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey on 790

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Using Player Tracker, he is 39.5% from 3 point line in catch and shoot opportunities. Rockets have 4 guys in the top 40 of 3 point catch and shoot opportunities. Only Parsons has a better 3pt catch and shoot percentage.

While 39.5% isn't elite, it is very good and his rate of pt catch and shoot attempts should increase by about 50% being on the Rockets.

http://stats.nba.com/playerTracking...A&sortOrder=DES&filters=FG3A*GE*1.5**GP*GE*35

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

That's what I mean about synergy, they say he is a 37.3% I would believe the nba player tracking stat. Anouther interesting stats, what % of those are from dwight passes

3. Nook

Nook Member

Translation: We didn't expect much from Brooks, but we like him personally.

Good call by AUS right after the trade. Also confirms what has been speculated for awhile now, Morey is concerned about the rebounding issue.

Yup.... you will lose games like this sometimes (Warriors game) and win some of them (Wizards). Shows why the Bulls winning over 70 games in a season is so damn dominant.

Translation: "Omer, we love you, we really do!"

Yup... why it was absurd to ever think he was being dealt for Rondo. Someone like Kevin Love? Yes... tier two all stars? Nope.

Translation: What the hell, we will give Hamilton a sniff.

Translation: We have scouted Hamilton.

Confirms what Bickerstaff said.

Kind of Morey to not list Canaan ahead of him.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm not used to the turn of phrase, is all.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I do wonder if Morey told him Canaan was passing him the depth chart to get him to accept trade.

6. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I remember he said he would re-sign Courtney Lee and Dragic a few years ago. And we ended up losing both of them.

7. Voice of Aus

I was saying it to get more rep, nvm now I don't we any pity rep from you;)

8. Voice of Aus

I also noticed it when we got the one and only del3no. He was also a higher % defensive rebounder allowing him to play in the ending unit. Interesting to note at the very least

9. Nook

Nook Member

It would make sense for Morey to simply say "There are no minutes Aaron, as the season goes on, the rotations tighten and we have Canaan coming up."

I do know that the Rockets coaches (one especially) are very high on Canaan.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Exactly and it also adds to my suspicion that Morey does not entirely trust Jones at the 4. With Harden getting more defensive assignments covering 4's and with Hamilton capable of getting defensive rebounds at a higher rate, at 6'7" I would not be shocked if he gets time at the 4.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Which one especially?

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

Voice of Aus,

How do you think he could perform as a 4? Right now we are running with a 3 guard lineups in late game situations, with Harden seeming to focus more on the PF and Parsons being the primary wing defender. Can Hamilton effectively guard 4s?

I guess I'm just trying to find a way to get more quality shooting on the floor without creating a massive problem on the defensive end. I don't think putting Beverley and Lin on the floor together gives us enough quality shooters.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Bickerstaff is a big fan.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've not seen Hamilton on 4, but he generally does better with slower players than faster. I don't think he'll be able to handle a starting 4 that can back him down in the post. I think he could guard Ibaka just fine if it came to that, though.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

We'll see how the trade works out. Seems like a reasonable bet given the stakes. However, there is still a chance this doesn't turn out well.

Morey's rationale sounds similar to what he said about last season's trade: traded older guy for younger guy with possibly more upside, also want to open up minutes for players on the team who have done well in practice/d-league.

From an assets perspective, last year's deal worked and netted some extra assets from the Portland trade. And it kind of worked on the court, too, given Garcia's surprising playoff performance. However, Thomas Robinson really didn't play well, and the young PFs getting the internal promotion also were not ready.

Will Jordan Hamilton be a decent rotation guy or perhaps more? Possibly. But he might also be the next Kirk Snyder or Terrence Williams. Is Canaan ready to step in for at least 15 minutes per game if needed? We'll see.

16. Voice of Aus

He would play the 4 if the opponent was either a low effienct post scorer or simply a floor spacer, but off looking at all of his synergy video plays he doesn't play phisically, he's more a smart defender who either crashes the boards or leaks out in transition.
    if (and most likely happening) the 76'ers buy out Granger could be your guy, he shoots pretty crappy right now, but when he has 1-3 days rest which factors into 18 out of 28 games he shoots just over 37% on threes.
    Beverly basically will have to finish every game in the playoffs due to his defence alone, lin is hit and miss on if he should, but because the depth behind him is short he will more than likely finish along with james, chandler and dwight.
    Best case scernio right now for me, mchale gets up his conditioning and is able to play twin towers, I think beleive it can be dominant and work, but I guess it all comes down to him (and match ups)

17. Voice of Aus

It's a bit harsh to say he could be t-will, for one we didn't give up a 1st rounder for him, we gave up our 3rd point guard due to our 4th point guard being more than confident to be that 3rd

18. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

<iframe width="600" height="150" scrolling="no" src="http://www.sports790.com/player/embed.html?autoStart=false&useFullScreen=true&mid=24371703&startButtonColor=0xA33335" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" ></iframe>

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I doubt that Morey had to say that. There is just more playing time available in Denver.

Also, however high they are on Canaan, I doubt that anyone can be 100% confident on a rookie's readiness. They were high on DMo, too, last year. DMo got the nod to start and lost that job in something like 10 games.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

Or his agent knows Morey's not going to do him a favor by taking back a contract he doesn't want in a sign and trade, ie bird rights to player's adv close to useless on the rockets