1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dark weekend

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SamFisher, Oct 10, 2004.

1. solid

solid Contributing Member

Houston teams have an uncanny way of breaking their fans' hearts. They tease you with success only to drop you into despair. I can't believe I watched and or attended all those Oiler games; all that suffering, all that grief, for a few Love Ya Blue moments. It wasn't worth it. And if the Astros don't win tomorrow, they will break our hearts too. The Texans actually did better than I expected. And the once great UH athletic program can't climb out of the toliet. They may be uttlerly hopeless. Rice won; who cares. Even Lufkin is beating the crap out of all the Houston area H.S. teams they have played. I need something for depression.

2. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Least the Rockets won; I don't know what I would have done had all 3 of my teams lost in the same day.

Solid, I believe only the Astros set up their fans for heartbreak. They are a franchise with a history of choking. I don't like to say it, but they do. They should have swept the series against the Braves and at worst won in 4 but no, they gotta play tomorrow now.

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Someone shoulda shot him while he was in Houston. The only link left from that Atlanta team that dominated 3 playoff series.

[​IMG]

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I'm pretty devastated right now. Emotionally drained.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel though. If the Astros win tomorrow, no one will even remember todays game. And the Texans will beat the Tennessee titty-boys next week. Think about how good it will feel to FINALLY stick it to Butthead Adams.

It's coming. Hang in there H-town.

5. hoang17

hoang17 Contributing Member

today was such a emotionally draining day. It felt like someone sutffed a million butterflies in my stomach turned me upside down and then ripped it open

actually to be more specific the time frame between 3-4 was probably the most gut-wrenching. That was when the texans were making their comeback as well as the astros coming down stretch AT THE SAME TIME!

hopefully (please) we win tomorrow so today can somewhat be forgotten. Come on Oswalt, we need you now more than ever to pitch like a cy-young 20 game winner.

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

I think I will do myself a favor and just watch MNF tomorrow. I am sure it will be better for my state of mind throughout the evening.

The Astros won game three while I was out spending Saturday with my family, so maybe I should just go with the trend that works.

7. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

This was one of the worst sports weekends for me that I can remember, too.

1. Texas/OU (I root for Texas even though I didn't go to school there -- lots of alums in my family)

2. Stros, of course.

But I've got a different one on the list from the rest of y'all: Cal/USC. Cal's my alma mater.

Just a heartbreaking loss at the Coliseum this weekend. Seventh ranked Cal had a chance to beat #1 USC and get in the driver's seat for a Pac-10 Championship, and maybe -- just maybe -- for running the table the rest of the way.

Cal dominated everywhere but the scoreboard:

- outgained USC 424 yards to 206
    - held USC to 41 yards rushing (that's not a typo)
    - gained 28 first downs to 12
    - time of possession: Cal 37:11, USC 22:49
    - Cal's QB tied and NCAA record with 23 straight pass completions

Despite all that Cal, was down 23-17 in the fourth quarter due to a botched snap on a punt, 2 fumbles, and a missed FG. Still, Cal got to first and goal from the 9 with just over a minute left needing a TD to win.

We came up short in four tries (and this offense was something like 21/23 scoring a TD in the red zone).

Just a heartbreaking loss. Thing about Cal is that we only get a chance like this once every 20 years or so. We're not like a Texas or Miami where we know we'll have a top 5 caliber team with another shot again next year. We may never have the talent to run the table and have the good fortune of having the #1 team on our schedule ever again.

Anyway, yesterday's Stros game and Saturday's Cal/USC game are all I've been able to think about today.

But hey -- at least the stros have a second chance tonight...

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Just wondering if anyone else was watching both the Stros and Texans simultaneously? If so did you notice that at the exact moment Kent grounded into that game ending double play, Chester Pitts got called for an extremely questionable holding penalty that nullified a first down Dom Davis run? After that Carr was sacked, Texans punted and the Vikes scored. Game Over.

Ladies and Gentleman God is not a Houston sports fan.:(

What really bugs me about the Texans was this was there opportunity to be seen as a legit team and shake off that expansion label. They put together a comeback that if completed would have been all the talk off the NFL today. Instead all you hear is crap like "well the Texans played tough but still have a way to go.... blah blah"

Bullsh!t, this team is a couple of DD fumbles and a bogus OT holding penalty away from being 5-0. This team is capable of beating anyone as long as Capers and CO. realize going to DD 7 plays in a row isn't a good idea.

Aaahhh rant over go Astros!

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I guess you add in the fact that Caminiti died Sunday and this weekend has truly earned a place in infamy.

10. solid

solid Contributing Member

I appreciate your remarks, but you were obviously not an Oilers' fan, only the Cubs fans have experienced more heartbreak. UH was close: the loss to NCS and Notre Dame.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, the dark weekend is now a distant memory. I liked this weekend much better.

Astros tie the NLCS at 2 games apiece.
    Texans beat Butthead Adams and the tittie-boys 20-10 in their own backyard.
    Cowboys lose.
    Aggies win.
    Longhorns win.

And of course Sam Houston wins to move to 5-1 and #12 in the I-AA Poll. :D

GREAT WEEKEND

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no doubt...would have been perfect had rice won.

but baylor held nebraska to under 60, so that was good! :D