1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I still don’t get what you mean by shutdown . Obviously doctors still have to come to work no ? People making medical equipment? People that keep the power running ?

food production is obviously a need . So are those other areas . There might be a few more. I’d say try to find as many real needs as you can ... shutdown the rest , give out more exemptions if you forgot something . Personally do I think food delivery is essential ? Not really , not unless it’s bring a person who can’t cook for themselves or go out and get groceries on their own . Should macdonalds drive through really be open ? Pizza Hut delivery ? From a purely medical standpoint , maybe not . But like I mentioned with the grocery stores there are risks collectively we should be willing to take in order to maintain some level of functional society lol

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mean a statewise stay at home order.

DeSantis just ordered the order just a few minutes ago by the way. Also, it's confusing even to people what essential services means

https://www.nbc-2.com/story/4196295...nd-activities-are-permitted-but-whats-allowed

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You're in Florida?

If your username suddenly goes dark ("whatever happened to Lou, he was so Sweet?"), we'll know why.

We'll miss you, buddy.

;)

Sweet Lou 4 2 and RayRay10 like this.
  4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Aren't there too few masks even for medical professionals and first responders?

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm listening to a story on NPR that racial disparities will lead to minority communities getting hit harder by COVID 19
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health...-mean-coronavirus-hits-some-communities-harde

Underlying Health Disparities Could Mean Coronavirus Hits Some Communities Harder
    April 1, 20205:00 AM ET

As the coronavirus spreads across the country, millions of Americans already struggling with health and finances — especially those in minority communities — could bear the brunt of it.

New data released Tuesday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention show that COVID-19 patients with underlying health issues in the United States are more likely to need treatment in a hospital — or even in an intensive care unit. They are also at higher risk of dying, according to earlier epidemiological data from both China and the U.S.

Because health and wealth in the U.S. are so often linked, the coronavirus could hit low-income populations here much harder, experts say.
    The elderly are the hardest hit by the disease, accounting for about 80% of fatal cases in China and the U.S., according to CDC data.
    More at link.

Amiga and RayRay10 like this.
  6. biina

biina Member

English comprehension is not rocket science, so let me repeat:

An Emergency Authorization ALLOWS the UNAPPROVED use of Chloroquine in treating Covid19. IT IS NOT AN APPROVAL!!!

The purpose of an Emergency Authorization is clearly defined in the Medical Counter Measures MCM Legal, Regulatory and Policy Framework (https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepa...-policy-framework/emergency-use-authorization). This is not something subject to journalistic or personal interpretation.

That you refuse to accept even this clear fact is why your intentions are questionable and one should call you out on it.

No Worries and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like trying to have a logical debate with dachuda is about as productive as trying to debate a squirrel. He's not capable of even trying to see the flaws in his argument, instead he gets super defensive and attacks you because he feels threatened

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Bill Gates: Here’s how to make up for lost time on covid-19

There’s no question the United States missed the opportunity to get ahead of the novel coronavirus. But the window for making important decisions hasn’t closed. The choices we and our leaders make now will have an enormous impact on how soon case numbers start to go down, how long the economy remains shut down and how many Americans will have to bury a loved one because of covid-19.

Through my work with the Gates Foundation, I’ve spoken with experts and leaders in Washington and across the country. It’s become clear to me that we must take three steps.

First, we need a consistent nationwide approach to shutting down. Despite urging from public health experts, some states and counties haven’t shut down completely. In some states, beaches are still open; in others, restaurants still serve sit-down meals.

This is a recipe for disaster. Because people can travel freely across state lines, so can the virus. The country’s leaders need to be clear: Shutdown anywhere means shutdown everywhere. Until the case numbers start to go down across America — which could take 10 weeks or more — no one can continue business as usual or relax the shutdown. Any confusion about this point will only extend the economic pain, raise the odds that the virus will return, and cause more deaths.

Second, the federal government needs to step up on testing. Far more tests should be made available. We should also aggregate the results so we can quickly identify potential volunteers for clinical trials and know with confidence when it’s time to return to normal. There are good examples to follow: New York state recently expanded its capacity to up to more than 20,000 tests per day.

There’s also been some progress on more efficient testing methods, such as the self-swab developed by the Seattle Coronavirus Assessment Network, which allows patients to take a sample themselves without possibly exposing a health worker. I hope this and other innovations in testing are scaled up across the country soon.

Even so, demand for tests will probably exceed the supply for some time, and right now, there’s little rhyme or reason to who gets the few that are available. As a result, we don’t have a good handle on how many cases there are or where the virus is likely headed next, and it will be hard to know if it rebounds later. And because of the backlog of samples, it can take seven days for results to arrive when we need them within 24 hours.

This is why the country needs clear priorities for who is tested. First on the list should be people in essential roles such as health-care workers and first responders, followed by highly symptomatic people who are most at risk of becoming seriously ill and those who are likely to have been exposed.

The same goes for masks and ventilators. Forcing 50 governors to compete for lifesaving equipment — and hospitals to pay exorbitant prices for it — only makes matters worse.

Finally, we need a data-based approach to developing treatments and a vaccine. Scientists are working full speed on both; in the meantime, leaders can help by not stoking rumors or panic buying. Long before the drug hydroxychloroquine was approved as an emergency treatment for covid-19, people started hoarding it, making it hard to find for lupus patients who need it to survive.

We should stick with the process that works: Run rapid trials involving various candidates and inform the public when the results are in. Once we have a safe and effective treatment, we’ll need to ensure that the first doses go to the people who need them most.

To bring the disease to an end, we’ll need a safe and effective vaccine. If we do everything right, we could have one in less than 18 months — about the fastest a vaccine has ever been developed. But creating a vaccine is only half the battle. To protect Americans and people around the world, we’ll need to manufacture billions of doses. (Without a vaccine, developing countries are at even greater risk than wealthy ones, because it’s even harder for them to do physical distancing and shutdowns.)

We can start now by building the facilities where these vaccines will be made. Because many of the top candidates are made using unique equipment, we’ll have to build facilities for each of them, knowing that some won’t get used. Private companies can’t take that kind of risk, but the federal government can. It’s a great sign that the administration made deals this week with at least two companies to prepare for vaccine manufacturing. I hope more deals will follow.

In 2015, I urged world leaders in a TED talk to prepare for a pandemic the same way they prepare for war — by running simulations to find the cracks in the system. As we’ve seen this year, we have a long way to go. But I still believe that if we make the right decisions now, informed by science, data and the experience of medical professionals, we can save lives and get the country back to work.

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Billy G for Prez.

Make America Nerdy

RayRay10, Hakeemtheking, Nook and 4 others like this.
  11. NewRoxFan

12. NewRoxFan

13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This is really bad news, actually -- even worse than Devin Freaking Nunes opening his dimwitted piehole about anything medical.

RayRay10, Hakeemtheking and NewRoxFan like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

This would be false.

I would be shocked if it doesn’t return in the fall.

See about getting your mom’s groceries delivered. Shopping at her age in a pandemic isn’t ideal.

As for the other woman, did your mom say: “Fine, I tried to be nice you fat *****. I asked you to move because I can smell your rancid fishy **** all the way over here and I didn’t want the cashier to cleanup my vomit from your wretched foul smell.”

B-Bob, RayRay10 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Great move. I guess this is keeping Austin weird?

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The President of the USA said it at his daily briefing.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We are in good hand

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...to-back-off-of-his-easter-coronavirus-miracle

Jared Kushner, who’s often been in competition with Trump’s chiefs of staff, continues to be the central West Wing player, leading a shadow coronavirus task force that is more powerful than the official group led by Vice President Mike Pence. In conversations Kushner has blamed HHS Secretary Alex Azar for the criticism Trump has received, according to a person in frequent touch with the West Wing. “This was a total mess,” Kushner told people when he got involved last month. “I know how to make this government run now,” he said, according to a source.

“I have all this data about ICU capacity. I’m doing my own projections, and I’ve gotten a lot smarter about this. New York doesn’t need all the ventilators,” Kushner said, according to a person present.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

This is a great idea. These same people should go inside the hospitals into the infectious disease wing and carefully film as well. Try to get up close to the patients and see what they can learn from speaking with them.

RayRay10 and No Worries like this.
  19. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

This was how the moon landing was exposed as a liberal myth and religion.

Warriors of Jesus be praised!

No Worries, Amiga and Nook like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

Couple of fun facts:

- The travel agency that booked the trip (JusCollege) was telling them in emails, right up to departure day, that there was nothing to worry about, that Mexico was one of the safest places they could go ("their government hasn't issued any public health warnings"), and that they would not be offering refunds if people chose not to go.

- Many of the students on the original charter flight to Cabo took various commercial flights back

RayRay10 likes this.