1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a case to be made not to have a stay at home order statewide - what is the impact that would have on farms and livestock? Rural areas are not very crowded to begin with, but we do need to keep the food supply moving no?

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

salesforce sounds like such a great company, always concerned about the worker...

Salesforce just granted its top execs over $5 million in cash bonuses, including $2.35 million to CEO Marc Benioff
    https://www.businessinsider.com/salesforce-top-executives-cash-bonus-salary-marc-benioff-2020-3

Nook likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

The linked article is a pretty good summary of events leading up to, during, and after impeachment...

Link to article: https://popular.info/p/excuses

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. Dream Sequence

Dream Sequence Contributing Member

Good example where judging a company from a limited perspective gives an opinion of limited value (not being personal!!!). In the bigger picture, Salesforce has been way more employee friendly than most companies out there.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Even if one thinks impeachment (which began before we knew of the coming pandemic) was a debilitating distraction, and even if one thinks that his Twitter wars and TV habits aren’t somehow daily distractions of their own, you’re faced with this: POTUS was impeached for his own historically alarming actions w Ukraine.

he will never own any responsibility, of course, but logic and history don’t play.

6. Buck Turgidson

Food production is an 'essential industry' and is exempt from stay at home orders.

Nook and Sweet Lou 4 2 like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

AroundTheWorld and Pringles like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

pence: we are most like Italy, no national lockdown was needed, and acknowledged that they are seriously looking at masks being needed by the general population.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

basic logic on display

Testing was perfect (took responsibility for that alternative reality). How was impeachment a debilitating distraction if corona testing has been perfect?

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Well it was approved. Nothing is misleading about that because it's true. I just didn't say exactly in what way and you flip out about it. You're playing a game of semantics at this point and it's not productive. Look... it was widely reported approved and yes for emergency use. I recall linking to a story about it too. Anyway, it doesn't matter ultimately because I think the reasonable expectation is that people aren't getting their medical advice from dachuda86 on CF.net. Obviously you shouldn't be on a basketball forum if you have covid or think you do. I mean you're just insane if you think that's really going to make a difference. And even if your fantasy is real, it's their problem and they should be smarter and listen to a doctor. And again no one is pushing people to take it. Just saying I'm optimistic about it. So really you're just circling around the same **** points and not getting anywhere man. Keep on complaining though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=fda...hUKEwja8MLQ4MfoAhURNBQKHbk_CYQQ_AUoAXoECAEQAQ

11. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

12. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I certainly don't call for it in a post and I never said I did. I just was doing it in my own practice. I can't obviously go and prove to you I was so you'll just have to take my word for it or say hey OK man I don't believe you. It's really not a problem because I'm not a public official who actively called for people to go to places where they were likely to spread the virus. Now I will point out that I was one of the first people on this forum to make a thread about the virus and that post was done about 45 days ago and no one then was taking it nearly as serious. That's not calling for social distancing but I will say it is evidence that I certainly knew about the virus' severity and wouldn't go recommending people gather and spread the illness like Pelosi did. It was a dud of a thread but hey whatever. But really you don't have to believe me on my social distancing which wasn't what I called it. I was just avoiding groups of people and things like that because I knew the virus was spreading.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/corona-virus-what-will-happen-thread.303860/

Now note in that thread I said "The threat of internal malcontent is huge, and this may be fixed soon. Corona Virus will tear through China, spread to Taiwan, rip apart Hong Kong, grind it to a halt, make it impossible to publically organize and will stamp out any such protesting..." I will point to this prediction I made and say that back then I was clearly thinking about how you can't have large crowds because of the virus. This mindfulness was before Pelosi said her comments and encouraged people to gather. She and other officials should have been aware of this in January actually, which is when I remember seeing the spread go international in Italy. I was there actually in Italy for a bit and I saw the number of tourists there spreading it and the anxiety of the local Italians. I remember avoiding these large groups and the feeling of intense anxiety at the airports and in transit about this virus. People then were already social distancing and wearing masks so It's not hard for people in February to have been up on this story unless they are stupid or want the virus to spread. In Pelosi's case I will just assume she was stupid.

#3072 dachuda86, Apr 1, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Some well deserved recognition and praise for Governor Mike Dewine of Ohio.
    https://www-bbc-com.cdn.ampproject....7SWs95ucdV1sPKbc7IEaLDsM2BiQf-hmZsd244Nc3GsuM

Coronavirus: The US governor who saw it coming early

A
    t the podium for Tuesday's daily coronavirus press briefing, Republican Ohio Governor Mike DeWine provides the latest on the virus's march through his state - 2,199 cases, 55 deaths, 585 hospitalisations.

His announcements are peppered with "thank yous" and mild "just-a-reminders", encouraging continued social distancing. He holds printed notes, shuffling the papers occasionally, staring down at them frequently. He doesn't speak in platitudes, but in detail, taking time to dictate every letter and character in the state's coronavirus web address.

It's a stark contrast from his New York counterpart Andrew Cuomo, whose own daily briefings have become a staple of the US coronavirus news cycle.

But while the lesser known Mr DeWine, 73, may lack the media attention of Mr Cuomo, he is drawing praise for his early moves against the virus, at a time when much of the US was still playing catch up.

On 5 March, after resistance from organisers, Mr DeWine got a court order to shut down much of the Arnold Sports Festival - an annual event featuring 20,000 athletes from 80 countries, around 60,000 spectators each day, and an expected $53m for Columbus, the state's largest city.

The state had yet to report a single case.

"This is a balancing test," the first-term governor said at the time, in response to criticism.

Over the next three weeks, Mr DeWine moved to bar spectators from major sporting events - days before US professional leagues decided to cancel their seasons. He was first in the nation to declare a state-wide school shutdown. He invoked an emergency public health order to postpone Ohio's presidential primary the night before it was scheduled on 17 March.

At the time, critics dismissed Mr DeWine's strict regulations as overblown, largely out of step with Ohio's neighbouring states. And in terms of policy, the governor's approach put him at odds with fellow Republican Donald Trump, who until later in March downplayed the threat of the virus, saying it would "go away".

"On the front end of a pandemic you look a little bit alarmist, you look a little bit like a Chicken Little, the sky is falling," said Ohio Department of Health Director Amy Acton at a briefing this month. "At the end of a pandemic, you didn't do enough."

To plot his approach Mr DeWine has, by all accounts, relied heavily on Dr Acton - the last cabinet member selected by the governor when he took office last year. The selection of Dr Acton marked a change for the department - neither of her two predecessors were medical doctors.

"Mistakes that I have made throughout my career have generally been because I didn't have enough facts, I didn't dig deep enough," Mr DeWine said. "So, I made up my mind I was going to have the best information, the best data available."

In his daily briefings, Mr DeWine is quick to defer to Dr Acton for specific questions on the virus and its spread, reminding Ohioans that the state's decisions are driven by science.

These policies are "keeping us safer" he said on Tuesday. "We've got to stay at it."

14. NewRoxFan

15. NewRoxFan

Finally...

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. NewRoxFan

Sad news...

First COVID-19 Deaths in Montgomery County
    https://www.woodlandsonline.com/npps/story.cfm?nppage=66128

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I have a co-worker, former manager of mine (now I have a different manager, being in a different group), good friend, she'd have my back whenevr, but she is still where Trump was weeks ago.

Just a flu.
    Overblown.
    Why shut down the economy. Social distancing, yes, but stay at home, no, etc etc.

I mean, I used to think FOX News told people what to think, but there are a lot of people out there who are just cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. 200,000 known cases, 4,000 dead in this country.

I think if Houston looked like New York (i.e., if the virus had started in some market in Mexico and moved north-south, rather than east-west), she'd come around. Then again, I can't be sure.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

great graphic. From JHU, or just using their data?

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

the key in all of this is people being responsible when deciding what is “essential”

shutdown obviously can’t mean totally shutdown of everything. Even in the event that people are forced into a China level lock in .... you’d still have the military , government , and healthcare sectors open ... China obviously had some way of getting food too .

if Florida’s agricultural production is key to sustaining a food supply , then you figure out how to keep it running while minimizing risk.

you have to find a balance between letting individuals take their own precaution and forcing some things to shut down because incentives are pointing in the opposite direction . The factor of how important that particular industry or business is .... that is the key separating factor.

even in places with shutdown hundreds of people walk into grocery stores . Some stores are taking measures to limit customers and/or wipe down **** , but many aren’t. It’s not totally risk free . Employees certainly aren’t getting tested in many cases , you can spread before you are symptomatic . If you’re sick (especially if you haven’t been tested) you can still go to a store and buy food.

so , what I’m saying is this “statewide lockdown” maybe helps cops bust up parties . But , it doesn’t mean we still aren’t making a trade off and risking exposure in return for “essential” business .

it’s a good thing ... because it prevent full blown panic imo . I think there would be uhh “problems” with martial law and soldiers keeping everyone in their house and delivering food .

Nook likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am in Florida right now and the excuse give is that "someone has to milk the cows". So none of this makes sense, if they can leave food production as an exemption, than they should do a shutdown