1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

D&D Coronavirus thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

As concerned as I am about whether we’re able to disinfect the food and other items being delivered to us (just 2 deliveries, so far, but will be getting more), I’ve completely ended going to stores myself, the last time being a convenience store over a week ago.

It’s for good reasons. Unless you have N95 masks on, with surgical gloves and at least minimal eye protection, intending to wash your outer clothes when you return home, it’s definitely a risk, this virus being so damned contagious. Those stores are going to have shoppers in them who are doing none of those things. They may be unable to get those needed items to protect from infection. The throw away surgical gloves are available online, but the N95 masks are still nowhere to be found, at least we haven’t found them. Hand sanitizer and effective products to clean items and surfaces difficult to get, but not impossible, and some can be made at home if you have the stuff to do it.

Many, however, still believe the entire crisis is overblown and will likely be walking around during the now limited hours, possibly walking past you. So home delivery or curbside pickup are far better options, in my opinion, with disinfecting the items as best you can at home before putting them away. It’s what we’re doing. Some things should disinfect themselves after a few days, as the virus can only live so long on surfaces, the time varying depending on the type of surface. At least 3 days, longer to be safe, IMO. Eventually, one would hope that even those that have been believing some highly placed members of government who had given out misleading information for weeks will become careful as their state and local governments take action to get their citizens to self-isolate.

I want to point out a good side of home and curbside delivery. Grocery chains like HEB here in Texas are hiring very large numbers of people to make home delivery and curbside pickup happen on a huge scale. Not big salaries, of course, but a way to add to a laid off person’s income, or simply a way to help out during this crisis for those who desire to, getting paid while they do it. Worth looking into for folks going stir crazy and aren’t at high risk, as we are. We’re staying in touch with our kids, and they’re both being careful. It’s a parent’s job to worry about their kids. It’s in the job description. ;-)

- One other thing. I just finished watching on CNN as New York Governor Andrew Cuomo announced drastic measures for the entire state in an attempt reduce the rate of infection. It’s an effort to at least limit how overwhelmed the hospitals are becoming. I’m sure that soon it will be on YouTube. It’s well worth watching. I wish the Governor of Texas provided leadership even remotely as effective, and that has nothing to do with political party. New York is now doing over 10,000 tests per day for the Coronavirus. It’s why their numbers of infected citizens are shooting up. Those people were already infected. They are now being discovered, which is hugely important. Again, for those who feel that they don’t understand the crisis we find ourselves in, this announcement, blunt and in detail, by Gov. Cuomo will make things very clear.

#2301 Deckard, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    arkoe, Andre0087, B-Bob and 7 others like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Didn't it take 1M to build up those Monrovia Medical Units by the DoD during the Ebola crisis? Each of them have 25 beds. If it can't handle Covid-19 patient, then perhaps it can handle non-Covid-19 patients, freeing up hospital resources for only Covid-19.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

It was on CNN's Morning Express show from the money woman - Jennifer Westoven.

I hope her information is wrong but she was very clear about it being 40-75k. It makes no sense. In fact I don't get why you don't just keep it simple that you boost the amount you get for unemployment. Those are the people that need it most and you've already got the infrastructure setup - no figuring out who gets a check and who doesn't and where to send it to and sending checks to people who aren't effected.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I have the same opinion. Pumping the money into unemployment seems like the best way to make sure that people that need the money have the money. Hell, you can raise benefits in unemployment with it. My wife and I are thankfully fine and although she may lose her job, we are still fine even with my income. My thoughts that for those of us that receive a check in the mail and don't need the extra income, we should probably try to donate it to somebody that actually needs the money. I think you could find that within your own community.

#2304 ElPigto, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  5. WNBA

WNBA Member

love the positive real news. I am happy for Chinese people. I'd watch it all day.

Hope one day there will be similar positive news coming from US propaganda.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Go watch more. It's all over YOUTUBE right now.

Andre0087 likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I will have to look into how they built those and what was in them. Without knowing more I can’t tell your more about them.

FYI I’ve seen people bring up tents those can be used for things like doing testing and screening and possibly keep non-infected patients. It is very difficult to make a tent airtight and sterile. My understanding is that the MASH units, of the kind from the TV show, where dropped by the military in Vietnam because it was hard to keep surgical standards up and with better transportation it is better to get casualties to better equipped facilities than risk surgery in or near the field. I’m guessing if things get really bad we could do things like that seems like that would be a desperate move.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I guess trump may have to do a bit more work from now on... Mar-A-Lago has been closed due to Coronavirus...

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That just might get his attention, if he has nowhere to golf.

RayRay10 and rimbaud like this.
  10. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

CDC finally got those numbers updated today, but didn’t update the graph.

according to worldomerers, we’re up to 5,200+ new cases today...puts us around 10K reported cases in the last 2 days and more than doubles the amount of active cases we have (now 19,063).

11. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Do we really want that? The more “work” he does the worse off we’ll be.

Rashmon, Houstunna, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  12. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but we're just catching up. As others have noted, New York's active measurement program alone will account for a lot of our numbers.

I wish I could convince my relatives in TX that they simply don't know who has it there yet. :-\ Had futile text exchange with one today who just insisted "it's not here yet." (in central TX). Okay.

13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

When I was stocking up at the end of February I heard a lot of that from family members. Now it's do you have some eggs you can spare? Canned goods? I didn't hoard so the answer is...no. They'll restock so be patient.

It's just a matter a time before we enact similar shelter in place rules here in Texas. I give it a couple weeks tops.

RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Weeks? Houston wont make it until monday

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Can Twitter shut down due to Coronavirus?

Just wondering...

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

K
    z
    The dems are thinking the same way.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/poli...-in-stimulus-plan/ar-BB11tNFI?ocid=spartandhp

The lower income people get $600. I guess the reps think they've lived on so little for so long, $600 for them is like $1200 for the rest.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Andre0087 and RayRay10 like this.
  19. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

I don't live in the city...:D

20. biina

biina Member

FAKE NEWS!!! DEMOCRAT HOAX!!!