1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cyberx, paging cyberx ....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Two Sandwiches, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

he hates the whole team. rather, he wants everyone to hate the whole team. it's his goal in life.

1 person likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The point is, this team is Morey's doing-- he signed the free agents, drafted the rookies, made the trades and hired all the coaches. He is also the public face of the team. Morey is responsible for the team's achievements and its failures. He is responsible for the 54 wins and the 4th seed as well as the 1st round exit.

If people are going to be screaming for someone's head because the team is flawed in an important way which prevents them from winning a title-- be it in terms of talent, coaching, chemistry or whatever, people should scream for Morey's head.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

so I guess the question for you is do you really want to fire a guy that turns a non play-off team and no all stars into a team with 2 all-stars that won 54 games and 4th seed, in a brutal Western Conference, in just 2 seasons? That's the guy you want to fire? Really?

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Harden is 24. Dwight is 28.

Yeah, let's fire Morey bc of one first round exit.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

his isn't starting valid arguments. He's testing human nature and the ability to start riot/herd mentality behavior. DD has done the same thing and unfortunately, they have both proven successful. It says more to the quality of intellect on the board (or lack thereof) than it does to the merits of his flawed argument.

1 person likes this.
  6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You're worse than the national media.

If Bosh had signed here and we'd thus kept Chandler "but I'M a STAR!" Parsons, then Morey would have been a genius.

Bosh takes the money and his home in Miami, already having two championship rings in four trips to the Finals and content with that, and Morey becomes everyone's favorite GM to hate.

7. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

Cyberx,

When is the Bledsoe situation going to be resolved?

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Fair enough. I tend to think it has more to do with having significant roster changes and a limited bench every year.

Despite the critics, I think McHale has made good decisions for the team most of the time. We couldn't play Lin and Harden together due to turnovers and Harden's defensive issues, so we started Beverley. We tried the twin towers, and as expected it didn't work....so we abandoned it. We started every power forward on this roster until TJones developed some consistentcy.

Our problems are due more to youth and lack of depth than anything. The lack of depth is because we can't sign quality role players until we have that 3rd "significant" piece.

9. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

My thoughts exactly. Nobody in the media would have dared criticize Morey if Bosh had stayed on track to sign. The same voices roasting him now would have been lauding his praises without end. So, does Morey's status as genius or fool hinge on whether or not Miami decides not to rebuild, or Bosh decides to keep his family in Miami?

Morey's job as a GM is to create opportunities. He's like the set-up man on a soccer team. He can't personally punch the ball in the goal. Has he made some miscalculations? That is a fair question, but that's not the angle most critics pursue. Morey set the table for Melo, Bosh, Howard and Harden. A couple of those worked out. He's not a genius because Howard and Harden are actually here, any more than he is a goat because Bosh didn't elect to leave Miami. He did his job either way, and one could argue that what he did required a mastery of his craft that is above the norm. My own opinion is that he has functioned at a level above most of his peers, that he has taken appropriate risks, and that he has shown a certain amount of creativity that most GMs lack. But hey — that's just my opinion. It's open to debate.

The bigger point here is that very few in the media (or in the fan base) evaluate circumstances with any substantiative logic. I remember a post-game interview once with JVG, right after the team had clinched a close win. The reporter congratulated him on a gutsy win and JVG laughed, saying something to the effect that "if one shot had gone a half inch to the left, you guys would be telling me we choked."

If you want to evaluate performance based only on end result, you had better understand how large of a sample size you need in order to make a meaningful judgement. Otherwise you risk revealing yourself as a rather shallow thinker.

1 person likes this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Yeah, I think I got the "McHale and Morey are buddies, hence Morey won't fire McHale" from this post:

11. daernoth

daernoth Member

I second zaam in every way. :)

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Morey may not realize this now but getting rid of McHale will be bigger than getting that
    3rd star.

Because face it, a McHale coached team is going nowhere irrespective of the number of stars. He is a gutless cancer and a disgrace to the Rockets, clueless, inept and possibly the worst coach in the league who doesn't deserve to coach a D League or YMCA team.

13. solodolo

solodolo Member

14. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

I'm not sure anyone deserves to be called a "gutless cancer and a disgrace to the Rockets". McHale has his strengths and weaknesses and has plenty of room to improve, but the portrait you painted is no where near the original.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He has no strengths when it comes to coaching or X' and O's. He may be a good motivator or people's man, in which case he needs to be moved to recruiter or some other position.

Who cares if he has room to improve? This team needs to be winning now with its core in the prime. The team cannot afford to wait years for McHale to "improve."

Do you feel confident going into a playoff series with McHale as coach?

He got outcoached, outsmarted and outthought by close to no name Terry whatever. I cringe thinking about McHale in a playoff series vs Pop or Doc or even Carlise. There are probably no better coaches out there than the 3 mentioned but there are certainly better coaches than McHale for Morey to look at. And it doesn't take much to out do McHale who is possibly the worst coach in the NBA.

16. Houston09

Houston09 Member

why dont we get back on topic and forget this coaching stuff. its not going to change so forget it.

17. sammy

We'll see how Carl backpedals when Morey lands a player like Dragic and/or another draft pick pans out like Parsons did.

18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He already has before. You sure a 2nd time is enough? Maybe Morey will trade for, then lose, then reacquire Dragic for the 3rd time in 2019 and he'll come around then?

19. sammy

That was on Les so I've heard.

Morey does have issues letting go of players he let go. He was wrong on Lin. He could be right on Dragic assuming he returns to Houston.

20. rlmjdime

rlmjdime Member

The mention of the room for growth was meant to emphasize that he is not perfect. Would McHale be my top choice? No, not even close. It's obvious that you have a hatred for him, but a verbal onslaught is, in my opinion, a poor direction for delivery. The only available coaches of interest are now in Cleveland and Brooklyn. We have him for this season. All of the b****ing in the world will not change that. I will always hold out hope for a player/coach to surprise and hope that is the case here. The filling out of the coaching staff will be crucial for this season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.