1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cut Tyler White

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by underrated015, Jun 22, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

lol what an incredibly pompous post.

Hey, I'm glad you could step away from your poker game with Jeff Bezos, Jaime Dimon, Elon Musk and Chairman Mao to deliver investment wisdom to all of us benighted here on the old Astros message board.

"Show me where you can consistently get 8%" - Ok, look at the S&P 500 over the last 60 years - it has averaged 8% - "Yea, well that won't continue" - Ok dude, sure. You're clearly the expert. :rolleyes:

"The average annual return since adopting 500 stocks into the index in 1957 through 2018 is roughly 8% (7.96%)."

I have to assume you're being deliberately obtuse in your description of Tyler White's circumstances. He is a former MLB player who helped the Astros win a World Series. That is some very strong cachet. There are probably half a dozen Houston area business leaders sitting in the Diamond Club tonight who would give him/ help get him a quality job immediately. Sales comes to mind. He also has a college degree in something (idk what), maybe he has something in mind.

The idea that someone in that ^ position and with a 500k in capital at 28 years old is "isn't exactly in a great position" is delusional. The average 28 year old has a net value of - $10,000. White will be a multi-millionaire by the time he is in his 50 If he invests modestly and prudently and doesn't contribute another cent to that 500k. By the time he is 60 he will be a multi-millionare several times over.

Things are good for Tyler White.

2. Buck Turgidson

White isn't done playing ball, unless he wants to quit, I sure hope he doesn't.

I have a ton of respect for him, going from where he was, getting to where he got to, but once you're in MLB all bets are off.

CheezeyBoy22 and bigdaddy like this.
  3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Who was implying 8% on top of inflation? Do you want to know the taxes he'd be looking at on that $40K if that is all he had? Probably $0 because it would be qualified dividends and LTCG which are taxed a 0% for taxable incomes just under $40K.

I could go for that as a single guy.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

Do MLB players have to file the ****ed up tax returns like some athletes do for every city/county/state/country they earn money in? Or is that covered under the anti-trust clause?

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They do. Most cities don't have income taxes, but some do, though you don't always have to file a return since they are usually a flat 1% with no deductions. Pittsburgh even has a special athlete fee to pay for the stadiums. I'm not sure any other city does that.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I thought so, I do like how Pitt does it.

eta: @juicystream If Derek Bell lives on a boat, and his boat is in the middle of the Allegheny River, what tax jurisdiction does he fall under? Maritime?

#226 Buck Turgidson, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
    CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Proud 1%er representing

Snake Diggit likes this.
  8. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Where are you getting 8%?! SIGN ME UP!

HTM has to be a stock broker.

IMO if you invest in the stock market over the next 6 years you will end up broke. What goes up must eventually come down.

Tyler White is still fat.

#228 Smacktle, Jul 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2019
  9. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Evocabank in Armenia
    8% for a 1 year cd in their currency. You can get 10.5% if you go out longer but I wouldn't. They withhold 10% of your interest for their income tax.

Their currency has been extremely stable vs the US dollar the last 4 years.

10. CrazyJoeDavola

Doesn't matter as long as he files under an Operation Shutdown exemption.

Wulaw Horn and raj87 like this.