1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cursing in sports

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Ramathorn006, Apr 13, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Do you guys get offended when athletes curse while doing there job. I know in the business world that every word said isnt PG-13. I honestly dont mind that athletes curse when performing their sport. Just recently the Jim Nantz was upset at Tiger Woods for cursing at the Masters. Honestly, I found it entertaining that Tiger shows emotion. And yes you can say Mickelson doesnt show emotion and blah blah blah but I think its good athletes show they are human or atleast care.

Some people make the argument that there are young children around athletes when they curse. Earlier this year someone posted that Ariza cursed at a fan and young fan heard him. But my idea is that those kids will eventually hear those words one day and they probably hear them at school already. Am I just wrong on believing its ok for athletes to show emotion and swear or does anyone agree that its ok for athletes to curse?

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

I think cursing is used by individuals who don't have a broad enough vocabulary to think of more creative, intelligent things to say. It's usually meant to hide one's lack of grammar skills and intellectual rigor.

And if you fine posters do not agree with me, I have two words for you:

Shut the f**k up.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3_Nrp7cj_tM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3_Nrp7cj_tM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

3. Tfj4

Tfj4 Member

I agree, if your playing the game with passion it's bound to happen. About the children BS....your child probably has already said it.

4. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That was four.

5. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

(that was part of the joke- it's from a movie, can't remember which one now- just Googled it- Midnight Run with Robert DeNiro and Charles Grodin)

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I don't care but Tiger said he would stop.

That lasted long.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

S*** happens. It's natural.

8. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Not a big deal.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I prefer it.

10. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

You have to have a filter.

I'm a teacher, so it's pretty easy for me.

After a horrible day, however, the lady hears Lucifer coming out of me. It's more of release therapy. I love my job though.

I'm just bitter about budget cuts and money spent for education.

As for sports, I think cursing is part of it. It's the frustration that's derived from competitive spirit.

Some athletes take it to another level though. (Sheed, KG, Chuck Barkley, etc...)

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

He never should have said that. People that care about that sh-t in sports are mostly dicks anyway.

12. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

It's emotional, that's what sports is.

I don't mind it because I do it myself, being frustrated and competitive at the same time when I play sports. It's quite hard not to curse.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Its funny when coaches curse on the sideline and kids seating in floor seats just look at them.

No big deal.

14. Jontro

Jontro Member

I used to curse every now and then back in the days when I still played professional ball.

Some people take this whole save-the-children censorship thing a little too far. I think it's the same reason why some college kids still smirk when a professor curse.

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you're in luck

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOaFuVM9Kao&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BOaFuVM9Kao&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

16. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

who doesnt curse in sports??

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't understand this philosophy about "it's really difficult to not do it... it's emotional." :rolleyes: I also don't see the "I do it myself" as a good reason... what, so now it's OK only if YOU do it? Not good.

Nothing against YOU in particular, sir, but if you're professional, you should also have a PROFESSIONAL mouth. There are definite situations in which it's OK to let your emotions out.

When there are FAMILY events and CAMERAS everywhere, it's NOT OK to curse. :(
    When there are policies and fines in effect against that, it's NOT OK to do "that." Cursing is not accepted.

Kevin Garnett is so rich he can curse every time he misses a shot or has a ref call a foul on him because he is rich, but there should be a rule of "Three-strikes-and-you're-out." If you get fined three times for cursing, you get the next game off without pay. It could be simple. For football, it could be harsher, since it's only a weekly game. :eek:

:confused: Huh?

I can't say they "never" curse, but I never heard these folks curse:
    Shane Battier
    David Robinson
    Tim Duncan
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Big names. Big hearts. Respectful and classy players. :eek:

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Children should hear cursing more often, if you want them to live a bubble and not succeed in the real world because of reality being a shock to their perfect little systems than thats ok too.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ there's a difference between "hearing curse words in the 'real world'" and "hearing a sports figure who is supposed to be a model citizen and an example to everyone who loves the sports curse." I would respect you a lot more if you hold your thuggish tongue in front of my family. :eek:
    That's what SHE said. :)

20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i dont begrudge a guy who lets one slip out here and there. I do think that a "oh s**t" is one thing but dropping an F bomb is a lot worse. Damns, craps and hells arent that big of a deal, imo.

I also think compound curse words aren't appropriate at all, e.g. M Fer, C-sucker, etc