1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cubs @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 20, 2004.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

We can still sweep the final 2 games.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Ugh, that had to be one of the most pathetic games I have ever seen at MMP. The Astros were terrible. They made it appear it would be a cool game in the bottom of the 1st. But nope.

I want my money back.

6HR's against our CRAPPY pitching. I couldn't tell if that hit by Ensberg? that was "caught" in the center field by the diving cf was even caught. The radio said it clearly hit the ground. But I couldn't tell from my seat and they didn't show a replay! What the HELL is up with that?! Seriously, they show all the other plays in replay form. But they don't show the contradictory call?! I mean give me a break! What is the ump going to be embarrased? Does it have something to do with the ump union?!

Anyways, the game started out fun but got real dirty later on.

The pitching was pathetic, bottom line. And the hitting wasn't much better. I am still optimistic we can win this series. even if we are sending a couple of nobodies against, IIRC, Prior and Wood.

:(

3. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

McClane does not allow them to show close plays on the replay screen. He said it would not be respectful to the umps. Thats a bunch of bull if you ask me. The Texans show close plays at their games and so do the Rockets.

4. Uprising

So it's just McClane? I was thinking it was the whole organization. Damnit Drayton! WTF?! When Phil Garner went out to the field in disbelief to argue with the ump there was nothing he could do. I kept waiting for the replay....but it never came. It sure is a bunch of Bull.

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

The Astros suck.

6. AGBee

AGBee Member

Being an Astros fan must be similar to getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if anyone who for some reason still had hope needed any more convincing, i'd say this game was pretty convincing that we're done this year.

one positive for tomorrow is that prior has been on a mission this season to destroy my fantasy team (well he and carlos delgado) so we should be able to score some runs and put a loss on mark tomorrow (i've got him in my lineup to make sure). if we lose tomorrow everyone should be convinced by then.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Is that a joke?

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Damn, you just made me cross my legs! :eek:
    What a bummer of a season, which started out with such high hopes and expectations. And I'm very worried about next year. What a ****-up. It's not all bad luck, either. :(

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yeah its McClane. Hunsicker did a radio interview several years ago when the Stros were in the Dome and a caller asked him why the Stros don't show close plays and he said McClane won't allow it.

11. Uprising

Thanks for the info Francis. I was about to call the post game radio show and ask them why the hell they didn't show it. Well, you answered my question why it's not shown there. But damn, now I am wondering why would Drayton do that? Leave the fans on the edge like that....

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

At least after the initial blow you fall to the ground and if god willing you won't feel the rest of the blows.

13. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Umm...Bagwell is on crack! That was a bonehead play by him trying to tag way late and go to third on a center field fly-out with a strong throw in. That was hilarious. It wasn't even close.

14. payaso

payaso Member

Backe's got true starter stuff. Good 92-95 fastball with late movement, nice big hooking curve for a strike, good changeup, and slider. 4 quality pitches he's not afraid to throw in any count. Barring some mental breakdowns where Ausmus, and our pitching coach needed to help him recover, he's definitely got the stuff. He showed a strong mentality to get out of tough jams despite losing focus which got him in a couple of tough jams in the first place. All in all, a good sign of things to come from Backe, that only leads me to think he could get better as far as staying mentally focused. He showed tonight he doesn't suffer from Redding syndrome.

15. Surfguy

I could never be more pissed than I am right at this moment. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Lidge is the victim today. The guy who never missed a save until the Cubs right at the worse time.

16. adw

adw SuperClutchMan

The Stros are cursed and will always be cursed :(

17. Surfguy

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A CHANGE IN LUCK?!?!?!?!?

PLEASE!!!!

Men on 2nd and 3rd...noone out! Please!!! 2 - 3 ballgame.

Edit: Tie ballgame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3-3...still 0 outs! If you can't tell, then I want this game!!!!!!! Now, come on!!!! WIN!!!!!

Edit 2: WE WINNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAHOO!!!

#37 Surfguy, Aug 21, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

WOOOO HOOOO!!!!

19. Uprising

WHOO! Who would have believed it?! A walk off win! WHOOP!

Bases loaded. 1 out. Lane singles off of Hawkins! ASTROS WIN ASTROS WIN! :D

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Man... Lidge is so good that even when he blows the save, he gets the win. :D

At last... this team FINALLY has a walk-off win.