1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cruelty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 9, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Selling a pig in a poke...

Despite claims, GOP immigration bill would not end family separation, experts say
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/im...-bill-would-not-end-family-separation-n883701

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Rasmussen is the only one that was somewhat accurate throughout.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Never? I don't want to sound like a dick, but have you paid attention to American history over the past 40 years? Does this even really register as much greater than a blip on the radar?

Also, how prominent was this under other administrations? I've been trying to skim thru the articles but everything gets so dramatic so quick. Can anyone provide a link that summarizes the history of this legally and how it has been enforced prior to Trump?

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Previous administrations did not do this. This is only this administration that it is doing this.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...amilies-at-the-border/?utm_term=.3ad275c0c94d

There are other links in that article that you can click on for more information.

This ranks up there with the worst our nation has done since segregation.

robbie380 likes this.
  5. NewRoxFan

Not exactly (and Rasmussen's polling has major issues). Here is the Real Clear Politics from just before the election. Note that a number of polls had swung towards trump. And those that didn't were close when you take error into account.

Then remember that Clinton had 2.8 million more votes than trump, or 2.1% more than trump. Again, the polling was quite accurate... hate to bust your trump talking point.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/president/

6. Aceshigh7

Is Jim Acucksta really that dense? He doesn’t realize that the WH isn’t talking in the literal sense, as in: Democrat policies are directing the separation of families.

The WH is saying that Democrat policies and border control resistance have made this step necessary. There is a full scale invasion taking place and something has to be done.

Anyone with a brain who is not biased gets this.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

This step is not necessary in any way. How is this step making our nation better at all?

8. NewRoxFan

trumpishly childish reference to the CNN reporter aside, this isn't entirely true either. Even today trump referred to it as the Democrat's law. I've already provided a video of his saying that in Katy Tur post.

Furthermore, CNN accurately reports these facts (the wh already walked back trump's statement in #5).
    1. The President's immigration bill got all of 39 votes in the Senate (the bipartisan effort also fell short of the 60 votes needed to move forward, but received more support.)
    2. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has explicitly said the Senate won't take up any immigration legislation again unless the House passes it and the President is explicit he will sign it (more on that below).
    3. The House Republican effort has been a purely partisan one -- Democrats aren't in negotiations, being consulted, or expected to provide any "yes" votes given the conservative turn even the compromise bill has taken
    4. Even the GOP-only effort in the House, which is scheduled to be considered next week, is a long way away from having enough to pass at this point.
    5. The President, in Friday's Fox News interview, said he's opposed to the GOP moderate-negotiated House bill. This is a kill shot to the entire House exercise, whether they manage the scrounge together the votes or not.
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/15/politics/family-separation-democrats-trump/index.html

9. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What really sucks is that this doesn't require legislation to fix this cruelty. The administration could end it right now without any legislation at all. Since it doesn't look like that is happening, Congress should take action to fix it.

This is the worst of America.

10. Spooner

Spooner Member

You think it is necessary to separate children from their parents?

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Imprisoning Paul Manafort is too harsh for Donald Trump, yet he's okay with locking up 2-year-old children away from their parents.

This is absolutely disgusting. It is horrible that the president is lying about it, and that Sessions is using the bible to try and justify this.

12. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Never, in my lifetime, has there been concentration camps in the United States, ready and willing to kidnap my neighbors, under the guise of economic and bodily security.

If I break the law by running a red light now, can a cop come take my child and put them in a detention camp? It sure as **** doesn't seem outlandish any more.

This is no longer a difference in political views, this is authoritarianism trying to seize control of our country.

If anyone supports this, **** you...seriously **** you. You are not my fellow citizen with a different political opinion. You are my enemy, and an enemy to this country.

JumpMan, NewRoxFan and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

You'd think if trump's vanity wall and his other anti-immigration laws were so good and so popular he wouldn't need to use DACA and now immigrant children torn from their parents to get his bills passed. Heck, he has a republican majority... what more does he need?

JumpMan likes this.
  14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I take back what I said about the compromise bill until there is clarity here. The article is a little confusing, but what I understand it to mean is that the change in the bill would only reunite families in immigration detention more quickly after guilty pleas are given. If I understand that right, there's no way I can be happy with that.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  15. NewRoxFan

Seemed there was a DACA compromise that was agreed upon and then the bar was moved. I suspect that is happening here as well. After all, who can trust trump... or his backers now?

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Well, at least we know where @Aceshigh7 stands on this cruelty. I say it's good to know which way peoples moral compass points even if it's in a direction of ugliness, cruelty, and immorality.

19. Aceshigh7

Absolutely. Its called deterence. I would employ that and any other avenue which could result in making this experience so unpleasant and risky that they elect not to break our law.

The parents are making the choice to invade this country knowing full well what may happen. Never forget that.

20. Aceshigh7

You’re either a moron or knowingly throwing out an inaccurate analogy to intentionally spin your argument.

If you break the law and get put in jail, you don’t get to bring your kids to live with you in jail.