1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cruelty

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Amiga, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Until we relax our immigration policies, these migrants shouldn't skip countries to seek asylum. What is Mexico's stance? Can they go south to immigrate legally?

It would make their journey shorter as well. Once we open up the border in a few years then continue northward.

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I believe this was the message that Trump & Co. were trying to send to convince immigrants to go elsewhere out of fear, but its just not going to work until you work alongside those other governments to create infrastructure for other countries in South America, Mexico, etc. to take these immigrants. The US continues to be the best option and will be worth the risk to many fleeing violence.

Trump's play here for maximum cruelty to cause fear and detraction (also trying to force Congress to fund his dumb wall) is going to blow up in his face, and cause a stain on our country for years. Just wait until ultimately video and photo evidence from what we are hearing about is ultimately caught & shared globally. Not to mention the fact that The UN is signaling they are about to heavily investigate the US for crimes against humanity that could really hurt our standing.

Amiga likes this.
  3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Why do you think we open up the borders in a few years? And what does open the borders mean?

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of my favorite object lessons is the Francs tireurs of Belgium and France of World War One. Francs tireurs translates as "free shooters". What happened, after the Germans invaded France and Belgium, is there would be farmers or villagers that weren't part of the Army that would occasionally take pot shots at Germans with hunting rifles or whatever.

Armies fielding soldiers not in uniform was against the rules of war and that is how the Germans interpreted these guys. The free shooters outraged the Germans who would promptly round up twenty or thirty villagers and execute them for the crimes of the free shooters. And after they did this, the Germans would document the entire process and proclaim in a big news broadcast about the horrible Belgian and French criminals and how the Germans had been forced, unfortunately to take appropriate measures by killing a bunch of civilians to punish the crime. They would proudly declare all of this actually thinking that the rest of the world would nod among themselves, scowl at the horrible Frenchies, and pat the Germans on the back for doing the right thing.

In truth, it turned out in the earliest days of the war, to be one of the biggest things to turn the US public against the Germans. It was one of the biggest PR disasters of all time, only eclipsed by later, bigger blunders like the Lusitania and the Zimmerman Telegram. In fact, General Ludendorff went to his grave twenty years later, proudly defending the mass murders, bemused that the rest of the world somehow found fault with him and his tactics.

There is no upside to this beyond tarnishing the image of the USA. Its a clumsy and boorish PR disaster (which, when I think about it, is kind of Trump's go to move). I guess it fosters a sense of self satisfaction among a subset of deluded individuals. Though I have to say, I've noticed an increasing trend in recent years whereby the Trump type people seem to mistake yelling at the people they are mad at for solving a problem. I'm going to guess it is an internet forum thing, where giving the finger to people you don't like it the greatest effect that you can have. Sometimes it seems like giving the finger to people you don't like is more important than actually changing anything. I guess the positive effect is to improve trump's standing among people who were already going to vote for him? Playing to the crowd, as so much of Trump's moves do?

Anyway, does anybody think this is going to change anybody's plans to illegally go to the USA, or is the defense really, "this is giving them what they deserve" and nothing more? That really seems to be the sum of what I get from the scattered handful of loners who defend this policy - punishment for punishments sake.

#24 Ottomaton, Jun 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wonderful point. Didn't know about that lesson. Powerful.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's absolutely cruel what Illegal immigrants are doing to their families, but they don't seem to care.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can agree that going after employers of illegals like Donald Trump would do a lot to help. But the real way to stop the cruel practices would be to not carry out the cruel practices. That is a power that Trump and Republicans have at their disposal right now. They don't need Democrats to do anything to stop separating children from their families.

joshuaao likes this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah. Yeah they would.

The US is responsible to the destabilization of central America. If it weren't for Reagan (who is rightfully burning in hell) and Bush Central America would probably be good places to live.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People seeking asylum aren't illegal immigrants.

SF3isBack!! likes this.
  10. conquistador#11

immigrants have always been mistreated. Using the power hoses on Dominicans. Pointing machine guns on a little boy, his family and his hot aunt like they were drug traffickers. Poor Elian aand this was during Clinton. I hated watching john Reno lie on that podium. But this is just sickening to even think about , separating a mother from her child. no one is expecting a red carpet butgeesh, 1930s much? At least no one is getting killed. =/ my best friend from the rgv was a lieutenant during the Iraq war, he attempted being a border patrol agent. He couldn't handle it after a month. This was back around 2007.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

People entering a country illegally are illegal immigrants....even if they use the excuse of saying they are "asylum seekers" when they get caught. It's honestly a cruel thing to do to their families, but again, they don't seem to care.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think that's a point loss or minimized. You can't control other people reactions or actions. You can only control your actions. I see too much of this not taking responsibility for their own actions, especially from this admin. I get the intention, but you are responsible for your actions. The actions here are cruel and evil and it's a representation of the nation's character as a whole.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's funny that you keep saying "you are responsible for your actions" while trying to blame others for the consequences of the actions illegal immigrants make. I guess that's one way to view the world.....

14. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

And, just like that trump and sessions will attempt to rewrite asylum rules...

Sessions to tighten asylum rules
    http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/391624-sessions-to-tighten-asylum-rules

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

These people cannot be reasoned with.

They should not be respected.

They are evil....to the extent that you consider bullying the weak for the pure fun of it evil (I do)

They need to be defeated.

SF3isBack!! and JumpMan like this.
  17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Any Republican supporting amnesty, please see above comment on how appreciative the recipients will be.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have to agree, those kinds of people cannot be reasoned with.

They should not be respected.

They need to be defeated.

19. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Feels like a country that isn't caving to Democrats strategy of demographic change to win elections

20. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Democrats want open borders to change the demographics of red states. We WILL not stand for this!