1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cristian Javier's Invisiball

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Jul 27, 2020.

1. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Agreed. Friends.

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

They are good for someone that really doesn't spend much time paying attention to the minors. If someone really follows their teams minor league system, then they really are not all that great. The truth is that an "expert" would be needed for each individual system to really get an accurate picture of the players in the system. It is also why I am always a little dubious trading for prospects from another team that has good coaches and scouts..... they know their own guys better than anyone.

BigMaloe, King1, Snake Diggit and 4 others like this.
  3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

On the other hand, most of the teams that traded for astros prospects over the last few years have to be pretty happy

King1, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Top 100 prospect list captures about 2/3's of the good MLB players. They have holes for sure, but not close to worthless. If they just had a statistical tool added to catch guys dominating AA and AAA, they could probably get that to 4/5s. Astros have more guys than most teams that statistical tools like that would not make prospect lists.

#44 Joe Joe, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Yet the Astros manage to steal Alvarez from the Dodgers and Taylor from the Mets. Scrubb has also gotten some outs with some luck but for Tyler "Whale" White seems like another good trade for prospects.

Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Not really. Astros have a few guys that they have given away, but the Astros have traded away so many guys that is bound to happen. Sure Brewers and A's likely happy...Pirates, DBacks, Phillies, and Tigers, likely not so much.

Snake Diggit and RayRay10 like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

What were our rookie relievers and Bielak ranked? They seem to be doing ok

RayRay10 and cmlmel77 like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

Are they though? Too soon to tell on the Greinke trade, but outside of Hader have the Stros given up anyone who you'd really miss and like back?

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Laureano other than him being an @ss.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

What I'm saying is that the guy who's 67th on the list is not noticeably different from the guy who's 27th. You're either a prospect or you're not.

It also depends on if they're valuing toolsy future stuff, high ceiling-low floor type analysis.

To me it's a bunch of noise that is not particularly useful. Others may think otherwise, and that's cool.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yeah I was wondering about that as well, nobody has really stood out IMO besides Hader and the guy the traded to Toronto.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

JD Davis has been good for the Mets.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Domingo Santana and Adrian Houser would be nice to have back...all from the same trade where we lost Hader too and ended up with Fiers and Gomez. Considering everything that's happened...that may have to rank up as one of the worst trades in baseball history.

raj87 likes this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@Buck Turgidson @Joe Joe

ehh maybe not lol .

I haven’t checked the “former Astro” thread in a while . I remember it felt like a lot of the guys we traded have at least made it to the majors , but maybe not with the team we traded them to .

15. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros have had success taking guys from other systems for sure..... Martes was going to be a #2 starter before he went insane, Scrubb is another and there are even more. There was some stuff going on with Alvarez before he was ever a Dodger so I do not really count him.

A really smart and well ran organization can poach talent from another team, I am only saying that it is harder than targeting an amateur player.

Sometimes teams get lucky (Laureano and Martinez)........ sometimes a player finds his "stuff" again (Giolitto) and sometimes a player just gets better (Tattis).

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

On the Astros he is basically Marisnick, and we already had one of those.

Maybe Kike, but where/how would he have fit on the roster? Teo Hernandez is the same.

Houser is a great 6th starter, pen guy, but wasn't that Peacock's role?

Can't keep everybody.

RayRay10 and conquistador#11 like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

For the most part not highly...... but the Astros have been personally high on Javier, Paredes, Taylor and Abreu..... in the case of Javier and Paredes the Astros moved more highly touted players (Beer) rather than pitchers that no one was talking about outside of the organization.

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Rhetorical question.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree there is not much difference between the 27th guy and the 67th guy on the list. I'm fine with noise as I'm usually good at seeing through it in the aggregate [i.e., make mistakes on individual players, but overall the mistakes average out]. Between the prospect lists and just basic statistical tools, one should have expected the Astros to have a bunch of good rookie pitchers this year..though not perfect on who exactly those players would be. Taylor and Abreu has been the surprises (one good, one bad) to me. Javier and Paredes will be defined by if they continue to throw strikes and if they wear down.

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok had not heard much about him.

RayRay10 likes this.