1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

crazy trade idea?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DoitDickau, Dec 18, 2003.

1. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Well i normally hate reading proposed trade threads, but hear me out on this one. i think it makes sense.

With all this whole boston-texas-chisox trade discussions i wonder if there is a chance for the astros to significantly upgrade the team. If boston acquires arod, then they'll have to get rid of nomah and replace manny in the outfield. Now there's been talk of nomar to chicago or ordonez, but now report are calling that deal "dead". there now is some reports of boston looking at jacque jones for nomar. so if that's true, and arod's trade is going through why not offer hidalgo + redding/bucklotz/whatever, for nomar? Besides Ordonez, hidalgo is probably the best outfielder boston could get in a trade. He's overpriced, but he only has one year left and he'll roughly make as much as ordonez or nomar would next year, so salaries are basically a wash.

Then the astros put lane is right field, and make the best of the short contending life span this team has.

2. DoitDickau

sorry for the spelling/grammar typos. dang no edit :/

3. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

It's not crazy had Nomar played high school ball at Bellaire. :D

With the money that Nomar would be looking for, I don't see us getting involved. We can't take on any additional long-term salaries with the glut of contract payouts coming due to Bagwell, Pettite, Oswalt and Berkman pending, Rocket (pending and speculative). I just don't see us as players in the BIG GAME again, unless Tilman Fertita has a fascination with NOMAH (speculative and bull....).

4. DoitDickau

nomar only has one year left on his contract, no? it would be a one year rental. Cost also wouldn't be a factor because nomar makes a little more than hidalgo

5. Buck Turgidson

Hidalgo's a FA after this year, as is Nomah. The money's pretty much a wash, considering Hidalgo's $2M buyout for next season. Nomah + Lane > Hidalgo + Everett. Absolutely no frikkin way I trade Redding, Hernandez, or Buchholz though, that's waaaay too much, offer 'em JRob or Duckworth. One-year rentals aren't worth special sub-25 year-old arms.

6. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

They were in the Randy Johnson trade, apparently.

7. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I really like this idea. Basically you're trading out Everett for Lane, who should be a better hitter. I mean, I love Adam at shortstop defensively, but they don't get any better than Nomar in that category. It would also give Everett a little more time in the bigs to work on his batting. Then you just gotta hope that Lane makes the transition easily.

But how would you get Drayton to come off a little more cash if you were Hunsicker? There's not much of an overall team upgrade in this trade, although you could get Rocket and then say:

"Drayton, the fans will love this. The TV networks will love this team: We'll have the best-hitting infield in baseball to go along with the best pitching staff in the league. Add a very solid outfield and you'll have the greatest baseball team ever in your tenure."

This fantasy stuff makes me giddy.

Biggio
    Garciaparra
    Bagwell
    Berkman
    Kent
    Ensberg
    Lane
    Ausmus

Petitte
    Oswalt
    Clemens
    Miller
    Redding

That's just insane. As good or better than any of the Steinbrenner Yankees teams but for a fraction of the payroll. Damn.

8. oldman

oldman Contributing Member

i was think about this trade yesterday. i would love to trade hidalgo for nomar but i dont know if it would work.

9. franchise?..NOT

This would definitely be a one year rental. No way the Astros pony up the contract Nomar turned down from the Red Sox. At best he gets traded for help or prospects in July. Could probably do the same with Hidalgo anyway, especially if he's have a decent year. I would take Nomar for Hidalgo and then trade him to a SoCal team for big prospects though. Of course that is what the BoSox will do any way.