1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Black people seem to just die in Chicago “at a high rate”, no matter what.

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Plasma transfusion will not scale to treat everybody but ... they should make the patient agree to give 5-10 plasma donations if they survive.

Houstunna likes this.
  3. malakas

malakas Member

A LOT of people who end up in hospitals and later in the ICU is because of cytocine storms.
    If you give antibodies to those people at best it will be ineffective at worst it will give them a push into Death's arms.

Jontro likes this.
  4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Just want to support that statement, based on everything I'm hearing from COVID teams out here at UCSF. :oops:

malakas likes this.
  5. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I never said Japan was faking data and I would not put under-reporting in that same category as there can be multiple reasons for doing such, both intentional and unintentional. I said they were downplaying the severity of COVID19 in Feb-March (similar to the Trump administration) and a major factor was due to their desire (and the IOC's) to keep the Olympics on schedule.

Also the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Different countries have different timelines for COVID19. Don't forget, one month ago, the majority of Americans thought that COVID19 wasn't a problem in the US because we didn't look like Italy. Now look what NYC has become. Most likely whatever minimal actions (ex. school closures, wearing masks) without declaring a state of emergency that Japan had in February-March were enough to delay things and keep COVID19 under the radar but you can only contain viral growth for so long without stricter measures. Sweden is most likely in the same boat as Japan and it is only a matter of time before they abandon their herd immunity strategy. Either way, we'll know for sure in the next few weeks if Japan and Sweden were doing something right this whole time, or if they simply did a good job or got lucky with keeping coronavirus below the radar temporarily.

malakas likes this.
  6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

Always appreciate insight into the negative reactions that could come from a treatment. I'm just talking from limited knowledge on a basketball forum afterall :p

What knowledge I do have of it is that other people's immune system responses may look at the foreign body they're inhibited in from the plasma treatment and may attack healthy organs thinking they're a foreign invader like a deadly bacteria or virus. An injected lupus if you will.

malakas likes this.
  7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

That’s what you get when your healthcare system is controlled by for profit companies rather than the government.

Hakeemtheking and malakas like this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

The good thing is that I have heard 3 cases now in detail in my country of cytocine storms from Covid showing incredible improvement with anti-IL6.
    In just a matter of a day in fact they left the ICU.
    They most likely use tocilizumab.

There have been words in Italy since a month ago too, that they saw good results with tocilizumab.

But no studies yet, we will have to wait weeks for that.

It is very expensive medicine , I see here it costs for hospitals 800 euros a packet. That's the discounted price.

9. Exiled

Exiled Member

largest trial accomplished so far finding :
    Benazepril-amlodipine therapy is superior treatment to hypertension, (+)beta blocker for patient with underline conditions vs. (chloroquine),*.izer group

"hydrochlorothiazide was not examined in ALLHAT and appears to be less effective and has a shorter duration of action than chlorthalidone, and there is little, if any, evidence that low-dose hydrochlorothiazide alone reduces cardiovascular events as opposed to the evidence with chlorthalidone."

*with chlorthalidone , initial diuretics therapy should be used to improve outcome but remain inferior option

Nook and malakas like this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

If you do plasma treatment right that's not a danger.
    But when someone has a cytocine storm, what happens is their immune system is in overdrive- batshit crazy. So instead of antibodies you need to suppress their immune system.

Plasma treatment can be an option if you are sure someone doesn't have a cytocine storm. Unfortunately it is very very expensive and takes a lot of time.
    Also that person after recovery will be doubtful if has acquired much immunity - their life can be saved and they could get infected again the next week.

I don't think it will ever be an option for the average person..maybe for the rich and important.

The main reason that countries are looking into cheap drugs like chloroqinue- that can be massively and easily produced is that this is the most viable method to treat the population.
    If the treatment costs thousands of dollars and takes many days or a week to produce then ...how can they treat hundreds of thousands of people.

Houstunna and Exiled like this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Like I said it's total speculation until we get some sort of antibody test, but I do wonder what exactly can be gathered from the NY data considering how large it is becoming. They've done nearly 250k tests in the last 2 weeks and 45.5% are positive.

Hakeemtheking and malakas like this.
  12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

13. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

https://milkeninstitute.org/covid-19-tracker

I just came across this link, so no idea how good it is

Scroll down and it will have an orange button to click that opens a PDF file with links to press releases and news articles about research on virus related related treatment and vaccines.

It is unknown how often they replace the PDF file with a newer version.

Deckard and malakas like this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Costco's website shows that they are sold out of like 90% of their sub $500 laptop models. Laptops are not quite the new toilet papers, but still...

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

pretty sure that's a supply issue rather than a demand issue.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Flour appears to be the new toilet paper.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Likely both. Anecdotally, I know families suddenly needing an extra computer when both adults have to work from home, or when all the kids have to be online for class at the same time.

Also, the more expensive models are still in stock.

Nook, pippendagimp and Hakeemtheking like this.
  18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Here's some more than anecdotal things... that increases demand.
    (But yeah, I imagine there are some supply-chain disruptions, too.)

#5738 heypartner, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Ziggy and Invisible Fan like this.
  19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Wonder how much people are missing fried food.

Is cooking oil running low, too?

[​IMG]

#5740 heypartner, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    Houstunna likes this.