1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Countdown to XXXVIII: the logo to be unveiled

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tigereye, Jan 21, 2003.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

I guess you can say the real countdown to Houston hosting the Super bowl begins today when the logo is unveiled. Which teams would you like to see square off in Reliant Stadium on Feb 1 2004.
    I really want to see the Texans vs Eagles but I think it will be the Jets vs. Eagles.

Houston Super Bowl logo to be unveiled today
    By CARLTON THOMPSON
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

SAN DIEGO -- The focus of the NFL this week is on San Diego, home of Sunday's Super Bowl XXXVII matchup between the Oakland Raiders and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

But the league will look a Roman numeral ahead today when the logo for next year's Super Bowl at Reliant Stadium is unveiled.

The NFL's marquee game will return to Houston after the 2003 season for the first time in 30 years when Miami beat Minnesota 24-7 at Rice Stadium.

The Super Bowl XXXVIII logo, developed by the NFL creative services team and designed by Todd Radom, a graphic designer based in Katonah, N.Y., blends a futuristic oval shape and a bold western-style type face indicative of Houston's rich southwestern heritage.

Texans owner Bob McNair spearheaded the effort to bring the Super Bowl back to Houston, a decision the league announced in November of 2000. In many ways, getting XXXVIII was the culmination of an improbable comeback for professional football in Houston.

The Texans played their inaugural season in 2002, giving Houston a NFL team for the first time since the Oilers moved to Tennessee following the 1996 season.

The next two Super Bowls will be played in Jacksonville and Detroit. While the NFL has no set rotation for Super Bowl sites, it's reasonable to assume the game will be played in Houston on a somewhat regular basis if the city puts on a good show.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

on sunday i came to the realization that the next time i watch the conference championship games, it will be to decide who plays in the Houston super bowl!!! woo hoo!!!

the pregame activities that week will be fantastic...can't wait to take my son to the NFL Experience attractions!

3. tigereye

tigereye Member

To make that even better, there is even talk of tying the Super Bowl into the Rodeo and the Houston marathon cuz both events take place around the same time as the Super Bowl (Feb. 1, 2004)

Organizers look to tie Marathon with Super Bowl
    By MEGAN MANFULL
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Only one day after an unprecedented number of runners took part in the HP Houston Marathon, Steve Karpas was too busy to celebrate. In the aftermath of Sunday's races, the marathon manager helped clean up at the George R. Brown Convention Center as his office phone rang off the hook and his e-mail inbox overflowed.

The enthusiasm surrounding the Houston Marathon, run for the 31st time this year, is at an all-time high, and Karpas refuses to let it wane. Participation has doubled in the past three years, and the marathon welcomed a record field of nearly 12,000 runners this year. But the thought of its having peaked is absurd to Karpas. If everything goes as planned, next year's event will be Super Bowl-sized.

"The Super Bowl is going to be a big part of our race next year," said Karpas. "We are already working with the Super Bowl host committee to tie us into that event. It would be like a `Come for a marathon, stay for a Super Bowl' type of exposure."

The relationship will be invaluable to the marathon, which may need a new title sponsor if Hewlett-Packard decides not to extend its contract in the next two months. An affiliation with the Super Bowl all but promises national and international attention.

For the marathon, it also means more interest from sponsors and a substantial boost in participation.

"The momentum is clearly with us," Karpas said. "The community has really come back and stepped up to support this event. I believe the growth factor is still ahead of us."

There are important details to work out in the upcoming weeks, however, including the marathon's relationship with HP. The contract expires March 31, but Steve Huey, HP vice president of corporate sponsorships, is hopeful for an extension.

It's no coincidence that the marathon's biggest growth spurt began in 2001 when Compaq became the title sponsor. The corporation was focused on turning the marathon into a community-wide event rather than a competition for elite athletes.

The tide has definitely changed, with the Houston Marathon becoming everything Compaq envisioned when the relationship was forged, Huey said. He is already of thinking of ways to continue enhancing the marathon and hopes HP's relationship with the event continues. HP is based in Palo Alto, Calif., however, and contract discussions will need approval from that office.

"They are aware of everything we do, and Houston is a very important part of the company," Huey said. "This is the second-largest hub of employment. It will always be key in the corporation."

A title sponsor is key for the marathon, especially at this stage when the momentum is reaching new heights. Huey said HP provided an estimated $500,000 toward the marathon this year, helping defray the costs of running it and publicity.

Karpas said other corporations have stepped up and requested the chance to play a larger role in the marathon, including Halliburton, Landmark Graphics Corp. and the El Paso Corp. The interest gives Karpas hope that monetary support will continue to be available.

"It is important for us to have a sponsorship as large as HP because we do put on an event that requires (us to) have a large sponsorship," Karpas said. "We have the George R. Brown Convention Center; we close the streets for six hours. We have over 500 intersections, which requires a tremendous amount of police. The costs associated with putting on the event the way we choose to do requires that we have a sizable dollar sponsorship."

There is also a substantial amount of planning involved, and it is already under way for the 2004 marathon. After Karpas contacted the Super Bowl host committee, the city called Karpas. The three are now working together in a union expected to benefit everyone involved.

The marathon gave the city an economic boost this year with a record 1,200 runners coming in from out of state, quickly filling up the four host hotels. Next year, Karpas said, he hopes the impact will be even greater.

The marathon committee plans to advertise next year's marathon earlier and possibly increase the prize money, which totaled $19,000 this year. Tack on help from the Super Bowl host committee, and Karpas can only imagine what everyone will be saying after next year's race.

"Here we have a Super Bowl and a world-class marathon," Karpas said. "The marathon can be that vehicle that really helps showcase Houston to the rest of the world. That's what the city has realized. The Super Bowl committee has realized it, and we want to be a part of that."

4. PhiSlammaJamma

You could put the Titans logo on that thing right now :)

5. BALLhog 247 365

WHEN DO TICKETS GO ON SALE?

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I'm sorry, but the Roman numerals in the Super Bowl have to go...

7. Buck Turgidson

Don Cheadle disagrees, and his argument is a bit more persuasive than yours.

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I can't wait for Super Bowl L.

9. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

You would have been better off just saying "That guy in ER who had Parkinson's disease"...and what exactly would his argument be?

10. MadMax

man, i freaking love those commercials!!

"they took 5 seconds and made it....5 seconds."

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I do too, and Cheadle's one of my favorite actors, but the roman numeral one bugs me for some reason.

I like the one that rubs the Titans' loss in their face. :D

12. Buck Turgidson

Beats the hell outta me, but I'm sure he made some sort of argument why Roman numerals are good, which is definitely more persuasive than your argument against them, which hasn't been posted yet. ;)

13. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

ummm. i already saw this logo, at the end of the AFC Championship game on CBS.

14. MadMax

no..you saw the super bowl logo for THIS year's super bowl in san diego...not next year's in houston.

15. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Pretty oogly if u ask me.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Who the **** designed that piece of ****? A 12 year old?

Look at San Diego's:

[​IMG]

17. MadMax

looks fine to me...still carries the same economic impact on the city! :D

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I think SD's looks great. If that logo is Houston 2004 somebody needs to seriously lose a job. That is some weak ass crap. Especially the 1970's colors. They should at least be the Texans colors.

19. MadMax

i have a feeling that is not the logo in its entirety...

20. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I thought it was a joke then I visited houstontexans.com

Unless there's a secondary logo, man I can't believe someone got paid $$$ to design something that looks like it was designed by an elementary school art class.