1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could Wood be our starting SF of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hemingway, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I have been on the trade Wood train for a while now, mostly due to his inability to guard bigs and set picks. Recently, he has really shown to be a good defender on the perimeter. If we could either draft or trade for a rim protector could we follow the Cleveland model? Let’s say Chet falls in our lap or we trade for Myles Turner. Would a lineup of KPJ, JA, Wood, Sengun, and Chet orTurner work well with a coach that can play more than one tall guy at a time?

hakeem94, MarioKissoDeath and aaquaa like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The problem is that Wood is no where near the defender that Mobley is.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

that’s not the point. He still looks to be a plus defender on the perimeter. He wouldn’t have to be on Mobley’s level to be effective

Corrosion likes this.
  4. steddinotayto

I thought your question was:

If we could either draft or trade for a rim protector could we follow the Cleveland model?

The "model" that is driving Cleveland's success is having a rim protector like you said but also having a very very good big (Mobley) that can cover a lot of the court. Basically Mobley is a huge part of the Cleveland model.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No, you can't have a player here who doesn't want to be here. It's time to move on.

Sengun, KJ, Tate, Christopher, Gordon, Theis can handle the front court for now. Maybe we get a PF back in the trade, it would really even out the frontcourt.

Really don't need Wood anymore though, no point in investing resources into someone who's not invested in being here.

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I've been saying this all along. You don't trade Wood, you bring in other pieces and let KPJ and Green develop. I would love Myles Turner playing next to Wood.

Dobbizzle, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He has not even played a Playoff game in his life and we all know playoffs are a different monster.

jcmoon likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Why the F would anyone follow the model of a team that has done nothing but compete for homecourt in the East?

Our model made it to the WCF one win away from defeating one of the most stacked superteams of all time which went on to demolish LeBron in the Finals.

Let's follow the model of a team that - better than us - already won it all. Don't you think?

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’m sorry I brought up Cleveland at all. What I was trying to ask is if we had a rim protector could Wood become a solid SF option with really good shooting to space the floor and good perimeter defense. I dont care if Wood says he wants out. What 20/10 vet wouldn’t want out with all this losing. I don’t think he loves playing Center and a change of position could improve his attitude

10. steddinotayto

The ironic part is that, based on PER (not my favorite stat but the only one available for me to access), Wood does better offensively and defensively at the 5. I think if the team were to commit to Wood, long term, they need a bruiser/defender at the 4 who isn't a total zero/liability on the offensive end. Like if Tate was 4 inches taller he'd be a really good complement 4 to Wood at the 5.

baller4life315, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Rim protectors? Bigs? Playing multiple bigs?!?
    but but i thought big guys were dinosaurs... 'unplayable' in the playoffs... its all about spacing for 3 point shooting.... "defense doesnt matter in todays NBA - you have to outscore the other team..."

Make up your mind CF...

lol!

a 6'10 sf.... lol!

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Wood at SF sounds ridiculous

Bo6, Dobbizzle, groovemachine and 2 others like this.
  14. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

In theory the idea of moving Wood to a different position sounds good, but the reality is that, for better or worse, the dude is a 5. It feels like he should be able to play the 3 or the 4, but for whatever reason he seems to need to be the only big man on the floor at any given time.

16. xaos

xaos Member

hell to the no

hakeem94 and aaquaa like this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

In a vacuum maybe (defensively) assuming we clogged up the paint. Sengun as a drop 5, other guys switch only 1-4. Or not always switch defense, play man to man or zone.

Offensively, no bueno. Tate can't shoot 3's, and KPJ/green are not good enough with two bigs or more. Even with one big spacing, they take turn having slump games. That's less on Wood more on the other guys.

Wood's length in that first warriors game bothered Curry some. Problem is after the blow by or a pass, our guards were left against their front court. Lesser of two evils, taking away Curry's 3 was still good.

But Silas has a one big limit because of the poor offense, for reason listed earlier. Start of season, we were losing but y'all remember we were like 15-17th in def RTG.

Wood can do well maybe on a team like the 76ers, he can play a stretch 4 offense. Defend the perimeter or help defender, but let Embid be the defensive anchor.

#17 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 2, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
    D-rock likes this.
  18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I do not think he is a good perimeter defender... and his advantage on offense (his speed ) would be negated when he’s playing at the 3 .

hakeem94, saleem, aaquaa and 2 others like this.
  19. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

D-rock likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Silas and Stone are not running the same model as Morey and MDA.

Crazy take.

hakeem94 likes this.