1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Could the Rockets have an All-Star?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thething, Dec 23, 2009.

1. thething

thething Contributing Member

So far, the starters are:

Amare, Melo, Nowitzki, (T-Mac), Kobe.

We don't know if Tracy will play, so I'll leave that spot open.

At guard, we know Paul, Nash, Deron Williams, and Roy are ahead of Brooks.

At forward, Duncan, Durant, and Pau make it over Landry.

You can add Andrew Bynum or Al Jefferson maybe if they want a true center.

Billups is in the conversation, too. But if the Rockets are in the top 5 in the West, will they not give the Rockets an All-Star(besides maybe T-mac)? Whose spot would Landry or Brooks take? I don't see how any of them can make it over these established stars.

2. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

what about rick adelman?

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

Landry should make the team.

4. leeaser

leeaser Member

Really the most consistent player on the Rockets, would have to be Luis Scola

5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

No way, our success is a different 2 guys stepping up every night. Other teams consistantly have one or two workhorses carrying the load.

6. t-mac_#3_SG

t-mac_#3_SG Member

Our only chance of having an all-star is if t-mac decides to play in the all-star game. Otherwise, i'd say
    forget about it...Actually, some of our guys got close but none of them made it to the line-up (even though
    voting isn't over yet, and i vote for all four of them everyday (hope i'm not the only one who does.)

7. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

If if we don't have a starter, I'm pretty sure the coach's voting will bring in Landry, Scola, or AB on the bench, in that order of likelihood.

8. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Sorry no one is getting on the team...Our PFs are our best players and that position is stacked.

9. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Are any of these three guys third in the All-Star voting among the guards in the WC? I think that one of them should start instead of T-Mac since they are all pure pgs while Brooks just isn't one anyways. Kobe, the leading vote getter among the guards in the WC, is a shooting guard just like T-Mac is.

10. thething

Steve Nash is third right now in voting. Paul and Jason Kidd are close behind. The order usually changes several times.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wrong. The most consistent Rocket and perhaps the most consistent player in NBA history... CHUCK HAYES

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Other then McGrady, I don't think so.

Landry and Scola have an outside shot, but that is about it, every position has crazy depth and future hall of fame players that will win the voting.

Meanwhile, a better question would be if Budinger or Andersen have a shot at the rookie vs. sophomore game?

13. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

yes if we vote enough?

14. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

Man oh man, what happened to Ariza? That talk died down realllllyyyy quick.

15. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

McGrady already said he won't play, refer to other thread for video

16. vince

vince Member

My vote goes to Adelman and Morey. Those guys found the right mix of players and chemistry from late draft picks, minor trades, and almost unnoticeable free agent signings. Nobody on the current Rockets who's been a significant contributor to the current record came with much fanfare.

Hayes starts as the shortest center in NBA history, rockets have a winning record. Landry goes down with an injury, Rockets win. Ariza gets suspended, Rockets still compete and win. Brooks play's horribly, the Rockets still compete and win. Scola get's a gash to the eye, Rockets still win.

I look at the Rockets team and I can't say this one guy is the Motor. It's been proven for this season, going back to last season, when this core group (less Ariza) competed admirably against the Lakers - only team to push the Lakers to 7 games.

If this Rockets team had an all-star, I'd be disappointed. Because for this team, no one player is bigger than the team.

Battier, Hayes, Scola, Landry, and Lowry. Geesh, who else wanted these guys before they got to Houston? SA gave Scola away for the Greek McGrady who was headed back to Greece. Hayes was undrafted, and viewed by many as almost a novelty act before he originally made the cut out of training camp. Landry was and is an undersized power forward, destined to be stored in Europe for years. Lowry was being phased out in Memphis. Battier had pedestrian box score stats that keep shrinking each season, whom most thought was here just to give McGrady and Yao more shot opportunities.

Who need's all-stars when you have a team like this group of players?

17. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

For some reason, I think the coaches will decide to have Landry be on the Western All-star team bench. Because of how well he has been playing this season? :grin:

18. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Maybe we should all start voting a lot of times and get our players in the all star game.

19. thething

The reason I think it is possible is that if the Rockets move up into the top 4 or top 3, they will have to consider making one of these guys an all-star.

The best player on one of the best teams is usually an all-star. A lot of times they get two all-stars.

It's really hard to see Brooks making it since Paul, Nash, Williams, Parker, and Billups are all in the West. That's probably the top 5 PG's in the league.

Landry and Scola are more likely (though still very unlikely). There is just too much depth at that position.

Of course, Adelman and Morey deserve credit for coach and executive of the year. Morey probably won't get it, but Adelman should be the favorite.

20. Raw Texas

Raw Texas Member

Scola or the favorite LANDRY