1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I think Houston is the last college basketball team that Sampson coaches.

In my humble opinion

Plowman and Poloshirtbandit like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

if UH doesn't compensate Sampson for what he's done this year and the huge success, he's likely gone. But I expect Fertitta and co. to do everything they can to keep him

Roc Paint likes this.
  4. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

upload_2019-3-26_18-59-29.png

5. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

[​IMG]

6. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think he will start getting offers now. He’s never been all that loyal, more money may talk. Hope he stays.

7. King1

King1 Contributing Member

He's not leaving

BruceAndre likes this.
  8. Poloshirtbandit

Not worried at this point. I think Tilman will pay him nicely. Plus who wants to go to Arkansas?

BallSoHarden likes this.
  9. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Well hopefully you are right. But at one time the Arkansas BB job was a plum gig.

10. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

In the meantime let's beat Kentucky on Friday and keep this thing going. We can do this.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

you could say the exact same thing when sampson first took the job here as far as who would want to go there

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-8-questions-to-answer-030648832.html

Athletic director Hunter Yurachek is too smart to fire the solid but unspectacular Mike Anderson without a plan. A source summed up the plan in Fayetteville this way: "Kelvin Sampson, Kelvin Sampson and Kelvin Sampson." Yurachek was on staff at Houston when they hired Sampson, and Sampson can't be thrilled the current administration hasn't appeared in any hurry to lock him up long term. Sampson likes UH and living in Houston, but he's been around long enough to be skeptical of putting his career in the hands of an eccentric billionaire (Tilman Fertitta) and an athletic director with little juice (Chris Pezman).

This has been perceived to be done for so long that there's buzz Houston already has a replacement lined up. Look for UH to act fast, as this is the most obvious move outside Buzz Williams leaving for Texas A&M. It's a Fertitta production, so look for a big splash hire — maybe Eric Musselman? — so Fertitta can show up at the news conference to pat himself on the back. (Maybe he'll call sports talk radio to rip Lane Kiffin like he did a few years back. That was fun.)

If somehow Sampson stuck around, Chris Beard would be another solid option in Fayetteville. (Maybe a better one.) He has strong ties from his successful stint at Arkansas Little Rock. He may wait around at Tech and have his pick of prime jobs next season.

13. Buck Turgidson

Arkansas: 1 title, 1 loss in the title game back to back. Those Nolan Richardson teams were fun as hell to watch.

I don't see him leaving Houston as long as Fertitta keeps him happy contract-wise (no lux tax in the NCAA!). Maybe for a huge Power 5 job or something, but I don't see one of those readily available.

Oh, just saw this. Pete Thamel is not the guy you want to trust for info.

#1753 Buck Turgidson, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
  14. PhiSlammaJamma

Think Sampson's primary objective has nothing to do with Sampson or money. He'll get paid either way. Whatever move he makes will secure what is in the best interest of his son. If that's the case, it doesn't mean Houston is in a better or worse position, it just means that the idea Sampson isn't going anywhere is far from secure.

#1754 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 27, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My Mom was at that game, and for those saying it didn't matter....no, no, no...far reaching implications for college hoops in many ways.

And, PSJ forever!

Eat em up all the way this year.

Houstunna and Easy like this.
  16. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Houston is the most fertile recruiting soil there is..always has been...and now with the prez, AD, and TF all on the same page..Sampson isn't going anywhere...He's just getting started. Perennial top 10 program here.

the shark and seemoreroyals like this.
  17. AFS

AFS Member

Agreed. I think a lot of this talk is to give Sampson leverage when he talks over his contract with the administration after the tournament. I'd imagine he'll use some of that leverage to get Kellen named official coach in waiting.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Looks like PJ Washington is looking more likely to return Friday

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Coogs are flying to KC today.

Great job regardless of outcome because you've already done well.

Keep repping and prosper !!

Madmanmetz and Poloshirtbandit like this.
  20. the shark

the shark Member

Yep....I'm guilty for yelling at the village idiot.