1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cory Booker, sexuality, and the GOP's regressive politics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by CometsWin, Aug 30, 2013.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Always enjoy listening to Cory Booker.

Cory Booker, sexuality, and the GOP's regressive politics

http://news.yahoo.com/cory-booker-sexuality-gops-regressive-politics-153700119.html

A new issue has been raised about Newark Mayor Cory Booker, the emerging Democratic Party star running to be senator of New Jersey: his sexuality. And who will benefit from the resulting reaction? Booker.

The catalyst was a profile in The Washington Post, in which it was noted how he keeps his life private. Booker made this statement:

"Because how unfair is it to a young lady to put them in the spotlight if they haven't signed up for that yet?” he says. "And people who think I'm gay, some part of me thinks it's wonderful. Because I want to challenge people on their homophobia. I love seeing on Twitter when someone says I'm gay, and I say, 'So what does it matter if I am? So be it. I hope you are not voting for me because you are making the presumption that I'm straight." [The Washington Post]

Could it have been a clever trick to flesh out his opponent? Most likely not. But controversial businessman and former Bogata, N.J., Mayor Steve Lonegan's made himself the story when he appeared to declare that he, Lonegan, was the sole alpha male in the race. From an interview with Newsmax:

"It's kind of weird. As a guy, I personally like being a guy. I don't know if you saw the stories last year. They've been out for quite a bit about how he [Booker] likes to go out at three o'clock in the morning for a manicure and a pedicure," Lonegan said. "...I don't like going out in the middle of the night, or any time of the day, for a manicure and pedicure. It was described as his peculiar fetish... I have a more peculiar fetish. I like a good Scotch and a cigar. That's my fetish but we'll just compare the two."

Lonegan's comments immediately became national news, with TIME saying Lonegan had embraced "juvenile frat boy hazing."

The main result, however, was to give Booker a chance to characterize Lonegan's comments as showing "callous, bigoted disrespect to gays and lesbians" in an interview with HuffPost Live:

"It's just disheartening to hear somebody, in this day and age, in the United States of America, say basically... that gay men are not men... It's shocking to one's conscience in this country, where we believe that the content of one's character, the courage in one's heart, the strength of one's sense of purpose, the love that one has for others and their service, is what defines them. And instead he's challenging the masculinity of millions of Americans..." [Huffington Post]

And on Thursday night, Booker helped keep the story alive by repeatedly deflecting questions on his sexuality from Chris Hayes, saying:
    "The question really should not be whether I'm gay or straight. The question should be why the heck are you asking the question in the first place?"

Lonegan unwittingly defined himself as a stereotypical Tea Partier who stereotypes others. That sparked headlines, got attention from cable and radio talkers, allowed Booker to go on the offensive, and totally drowned out whatever message Lonegan would have wanted to propagate. Lonegan tried to change the subject with reporters in Paramus on Thursday: "I'm concerned about a potential war in Syria, not validating Cory Booker's lifestyle," he told them. "This election is not about whether or not Cory Booker is gay or straight."

Too late. Lonegan is the one who made Booker's lifestyle an issue. And by essentially telling reporters they shouldn't be asking the question, Lonegan all but ensured that he'll be asked it repeatedly.

Public attitudes toward gays have shifted profoundly in recent years. An ABC/Washington Post poll in March found that 58 percent of Americans believe gay marriage should be legal, while 36 percent oppose its legality. But more striking is the generational shift: Support for gay marriage among young adults 18 to 29 years old hit an all time high of 81 percent. Why would Lonegan make Booker's lifestyle an issue when it's an issue the Republican is on the wrong side of?

The Republican Party claims it knows that it needs to show a kinder face to win back young and minority voters. But a makeover just isn't possible when conservatives like Lonegan continue to betray the truth of their regressive attitudes.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They're forcing him to admit he's either banging other dudes or white chicks. Either strategy alone is probably too provincial for New Jersey; but combined it might appeal to older, blue-collar, married voters who feel culturally or morally "stranded."

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Republican is an offensive ignorant jerk. Really? Somehow he's more of a 'man' than Booker who's actually rescued a woman from a burning building?

What a joke.

4. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure you and I read the same article. The article wasn't about how Cory Booker is having culture war problems but how his opponent is.

Given how demographics are going and that we already have gay mayors of major cities, gay congressman and gay judges I'm sure Cory Booker will trade losing some older voters who feel morally stranded for voters who are offended by Lonegan's backward comments.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I read the article just fine. It's possible to comment on the hypothetical outcomes of a certain strategy without agreeing with the values behind it.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is fine except the article didn't really talk about this as Lonegan's strategy but more how this is benefiting Booker. From the article it's not even clear that was Lonegan's strategy and not some off the cuff comment he made.

[rquoter]Lonegan unwittingly defined himself as a stereotypical Tea Partier who stereotypes others. That sparked headlines, got attention from cable and radio talkers, allowed Booker to go on the offensive, and totally drowned out whatever message Lonegan would have wanted to propagate. Lonegan tried to change the subject with reporters in Paramus on Thursday: "I'm concerned about a potential war in Syria, not validating Cory Booker's lifestyle," he told them. "This election is not about whether or not Cory Booker is gay or straight."
    [/rquoter]

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Given the coded comments of wanting to "expose" Booker and using Newsmax to wonder aloud repeatedly in an interview of Booker's weirdness, I'm leaning toward agreeing with pouhe's guess of Lonegan using textbook social conservative/teepee dip**** strategy.

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Did the republican actually make fun of gays and lesbians like booker says he did? In the quote he never mentioned them, just mocked booker for going out at 2 am to get his nails done. Booker is using that comment, which appears to be nothing more than a teasing jab at booker as a slander against gays?

Seems like booker wants to exploit the gay vote.

9. Major

Major Member

Wait - where did Booker say he made fun of gays and lesbians? He seems to be more taking aim at Lonegan's "I like being a guy" comment:

It's just disheartening to hear somebody, in this day and age, in the United States of America, say basically... that gay men are not men...

10. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was a jab at gay men at least.

11. Major

Major Member

This was the context of the comment:

In an interview with Newsmax, Lonegan said it was “kind of weird” that Booker is unconcerned with speculation about his sexuality.

“As a guy, I personally like being a guy. … I don’t know if you saw the stories last year. They’ve been out for quite a bit about how he likes to go out at 3 o’clock in the morning for a manicure and a pedicure,” said Lonegan. “Maybe that helps to get him the gay vote by acting ambiguous. … I don’t like going out in the middle of the night, or any time of the day, for a manicure and pedicure. It was described as his peculiar fetish is how it was described. I have a more peculiar fetish. I like a good Scotch and a cigar. That’s my fetish but we’ll just compare the two.”

On Saturday, when TPM talked with Lonegan, he described himself as mystified by Booker’s personal and family life.

“It’s mysterious. That’s all I can say. It’s mysterious,” Lonegan said.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2013/08/steve-lonegan-sick-single-moms.php

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Well it is weird that Booker is acting the way he is. He doesn't want to say he's straight apparently. It's weird. He doesn't want to say he's gay or straight. My only guess is that he's straight but wants to enjoy the benefits of anti-homophobia.

It's not bad strategy. Backlash against homophobia is high right now, but it's hard for a straight politician to fully reap that benefit. Now he gets to.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

He implied it clearly enough with this statement.

Strategy and personal values notwithstanding, there's actually a cognitive dissonance of sorts among more politically correct people, who are also publicly unattached socially, that constrains them from forthrightly clarifying their heterosexuality, out of fear that their diction or temperament may imply homophobia. It's also the root behind Carlin's old "happens to be black" joke.

14. Major

Major Member

If you start answering some questions, you open a pandora's box, because people will assume you're hiding something as soon as you don't answer. The only way to avoid is to answer none of them. The main people who really care are going to be the homophobes, so he's basically daring people to show their bigotry.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

Lonnegan is a populist clown who's only support in NJ comes from his anti-immigrant positions. The man is not a serious contender.

16. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I don't care if Cory Booker is straight, as long as he acts gay in public.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I find it interesting that someone who is criticizing someone for doing something "gay" like getting manis and pedis would then extol the virtues of putting a phallic-shaped item in his mouth. Maybe Lonegan is actually telling us he digs dudes in kilts?