1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa out 4-6 weeks with cracked rib

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by mikol13, May 29, 2019.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

#101 J.R., May 29, 2019
    Last edited: May 29, 2019
    robbie380 likes this.
  2. Remix

Remix Member

"Massage" right....likely an excuse for some dumb way he really ended up breaking a rib.

Disappointing to say the least, especially given his injury history already

everyday eddie likes this.
  3. Major

Major Member

Offseason, everyone is in play. But midseason? There is zero chance a contending Astros team will ever trade a key player during the season.

AstrosRockets1818 likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

Dumb way like ... a massage?

The excuse is so terrible, it sounds at least tangentially related to whatever happened. There are any number of less-dumb things you'd go with if you were just making up an excuse.

kaleidosky and BigM like this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It’s very obvious that Correa has an abnormal vitriol towards him when anything goes wrong. This has been going on for years. He’s the James Harden of the Astros. People are incredibly quick to forget how good he is.

I’m not going to argue with the disappointment of his annual DL stint but with the exception of poorly playing through a back injury, when Correa is healthy he is fantastic. The revisionist history that disputes that, is disturbing.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Still extremely dumb to sell low for somebody with his skill set (both defensively and offensively), and has seemingly bounced back strong from each injury.

And you’re not supporting your case by using Brantley as an example. Every playoff team is envious of the Astros for the deal they got. Astros would hardly get equivalent return value at this moment.

everyday eddie and BigM like this.
  7. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

Great expectations. Simple as that. He was the 1.1. He's the one chiseled like Adonis. He's been good, but he hasn't been *that* good.

Not saying the criticism is right or not right, just saying...That's what it's about.

He was not hyped as Really Good, Above Average Shortstop, Definitely Top 5 at His Position. He was hyped as Mike Trout Good, Best Player In Baseball Good. And he's come nowhere near that.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Why "likely an excuse" ? Ignoring what Major said above about it being weird enough to admit that it's probably true/related -- what reason has he ever given us to doubt his sincerity?

9. astros123

astros123 Member

Why would Correa have been mad about Bregman's extension when he has clearly stated hes not looking for an extension at the moment? What in the world are you talking about?

lnchan and BigM like this.
  10. chievous minniefield

I don't really disagree with you, but...Even though he's been playing excellent baseball on both sides of the field this year...Is he the best player on the team? Second best?

Anything less than Best Player on the Astros Period is a disappointment for Carlos Correa. You can say that's not fair, and I'd agree it's not fair. But I do suggest it's the reason you see the anger/discontent outweigh the praise when he's good.

Altuve is more likeable. George is more likeable. Bregman has even started to edge him out as more "likeable", at least more attention-seeking.

I Stan for Coco, but at some point he needs to be That ****ing Dude. He hasn't really come close to this point. And I think the collective expectations of Astro Nation, whether you think they're right or wrong, are that it's past time at this point.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It is a strange phenomenon.

Complaints about him not being MVP level at age 22. Complaints about his back injury stars (obviously shouldn’t have been playing, despite having a pretty good playoffs).

Nary a post about the very productive (and needed) first two months of this season. Not a single word about his improved defense (which was already good).

But an injury thread not only gets tremendous volume posts, nary a single one lamenting how important he is to this team going far.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Such a strange phenomenon. Springer got similar treatment... till he didn’t.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even Mike Trout wasn’t hyped Mike Trout good... till he was.

Btw, Mike Trout good is top 3 players ever. Seriously.

14. SemisolidSnake

First thing I thought. For God's sake, get Bregman off those commercials immediately. He doesn't even make them any better.

15. Nook

Nook Member

This is not true.

16. SemisolidSnake

17. chievous minniefield

I mean, expectations don't really come any higher than they are and have been for Correa and this era of the Astros.

We all won a World Series less than 2 years ago, and the thought of not winning another one is painful. Everyone knows what the Astros have is special, doesn't come around very often, and as such...expectations are just off the charts.

Again, not arguing it's right. Just arguing this is how it is.

Plus, let's be honest. It's been a completely garbage week, news-wise, for the Astros. The idea that there wouldn't be a great collective pants-wetting online is not a particularly realistic one.

I'll say this for Correa...He does seem to have some pretty terrible luck. If his injury had come first in the sequence (instead of after Springer's, Diaz', Stassi's, Altuve's janky news), this would all have been received marginally better, I think. Not much better, but a little.

Just an ass week. I have to remind myself we are 1,000,000 games in front and historically great. Better these things happen in May/June than September/October.

18. chievous minniefield

You're not wrong. Hype is a killer.

19. chievous minniefield

What is?

20. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

A couple things here:

1) I’ve seen this posted too many times about Bregman’s contract. Correa could have a Bregman contract right this second if he wanted it.

2) There are way too many not living up to potential posts or not putting it together. The only thing Correa hasn’t done great is stay healthy. And that absolutely counts as a knock on him. But his production on the field when he’s healthy has been fantastic. He’s been putting it together since he got here. Through his monster playoff run in 2017 and his excellent start to 2019. I really am not understanding the knock of his on the field production.

everyday eddie likes this.