1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa and his back issues...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Oct 7, 2018.

1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

At this point anything we can get in the playoffs is a bonus. We’re a great team without him, but we’re even better when he’s out there.

mikol13 likes this.
  2. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Well. At least we have not sunk 200 million on him. If we have that allocated for Carlos we need to seriously consider swinging it Coles way. Get what we can out of Correa the next two years and then part ways. I will eat those words on a crushed turd sandwich if Correa plays 140 games each of the next two years.

3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was thinking that too. Cole is definitely someone we want around for a very long time. He has been awesome this year.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

One game.. two games.. four games

Astros continue their downplaying of injuries.

Condolences to Carlos too. He seems a real good teammate.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  5. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Next year this won't be likely because he will be making 8-9 million, but if he has the same back problems and misses a lot of games next season he might be traded or possibly non-tendered the following year. They won't pay 12-15 million for 80 games.

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Tell me something I don’t know

7. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

You think he’ll be given that much in arbitration given how much time he keeps missing? And he hasn’t been putting up Alvarez type numbers when he does play..

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

So, yeah, this was my fear last year when I said that’s basically about the scariest injury ever.
    It’s one of 2 things:
    1) he’s a giant flaming vagina and a Jake whose not interested in playing through **** that everyone plays through or
    2) his back is totally ****ed for the second time in less than 12 months (and he’s only 25)

Carlos strikes me as a pretty high character guy so I’m guessing point 2, which is sad when you consider how talented and fun to watch he is.

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's so hard to speculate. Yes, he is sooooooooooo fun to watch! He also seems like a great guy. That being said, back issues are scary. I don't think being a great part-time player merits huge contracts if it sacrifices losing healthy reliable good players. I felt the same way about Chris Paul.

Its hard to know really though. He might never have back problems again, but whatever keeps making them come back might be more of a glimpse into the future as well. All I know is a healthy Correa helps make us even greater.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The organization is in a really tough spot with Correa.

Obviously nobody has any confidence in his ability to stay healthy, but if you do trade him there is the very real potential you traded the 2020 MVP, if he's not a DL mainstay anyway (massive if). His trade value is also very low right now.We could certainly get useful stuff back, but with only 2 years left, half the league tanking, and his terrifying back situation I honestly doubt the return would be significant at this point.

Maybe his raw ability is enough to entice a bidding war, but I think there's just too much going on for him to be moved.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

Best case scenario is this is just a pain management issue and were holding him back before it really matters. I don’t buy that he’s questionable for the ALDS. He’s playing if it’s just a pain management issue.

I get that the public perception is that he’s soft and doesn’t want to play injured. I think that’s a bit off. I have no doubt that he’s willing to play through pain, especially when it matters. Our organization is founded on hard-nosed, blue collar players that play through ungodly amounts of pain (Bagwell, Biggio, Altuve, etc.).

This certainly doesn’t bode well for his long-term value. No team is forking over what Carlos wants with his injury history.

I know it’s crazy to even suggest, but maybe we should start looking at Correa getting reps at 1B in the future if that would help his back/health.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He played through the pain last year and he was complete dog s**t.

Plenty of people have a personal issue with Correa so I'm sure they believe he's just soft, but when any logic is applied that goes out the window. Correa knows good and damn well what all these missed games are doing to his reputation and long term earning potential, 2 things he most certainly cares deeply about.

Major, awc713 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  13. Fantasma Negro

Either Hinch is playing coy with the media and being very extra cautious with Correa's back or he's ****ing done with this dude. I honestly can't tell

Snake Diggit and Wulaw Horn like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Carlos Correa’s poor performance in the second half and missing games isn’t because he is soft. It is because he has a bad back and swinging a baseball bat with the type of torque he does puts a lot of strain on the back.

While I don’t think Correa is the brights bulb, he has never been suspended, he has never been accused of breaking the law and for the most part has done everything asked of him.

I don’t think that the Astros can count on him, which is too bad because he had a shot at being a first ballot Hall if Famer. Having said all that the Astros need to plan for the real possibility that he will just be a part time player.

He is still quite young and could turn his health around. At this point the Astros should hold on to him. Let him DH on occasion and let Toro play a lot of third.

BigM, awc713 and Fantasma Negro like this.
  15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I think it’s the second (that’s just my general sense of the entire year as it relates to Carlos) but that’s just what I think I think.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Astros have Bregman who can play SS with Diaz and Toro as fill ins on the IF. Astros would take a small step back defensively, but overall the biggest loss is at the plate without Correa. Astros can improve any position offensively to get that value back other than those manned by Bregman, Springer, Altuve, and Alvarez.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Yes and from a financial perspective we may just rolle with Diaz and Toro.

Toro has a lot of upside as well. He will never be Carlos Correa but he has some skills that make him a potentially big contributor.

If Correa some how gets his back issues addressed this off season and plays 150 games next year, then great.

Otherwise there are internal options that can contribute.

CheezeyBoy22 likes this.
  18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I get the impression it is a little of both. Hinch seemed more pissed about the rib than he does right now, IMO.

Nook likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would not sleep on Diaz's upside. He's older than Toro, but it appears the Astros have taught him the way of plate discipline. All he needs to do is get back to hitting ball with authority like he did for Blue Jays.

Nook likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I think both have ability.

Toro just has the possibility of contributing in a wider variety of ways.