1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cooking Ribeye Steaks Tonight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigbodymoe, Aug 21, 2011.

1. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Alright. Grilling some Ribeye steaks for the family tonight. Any tips or recipes? We like our stuff well done btw. :)

Moe

2. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

In before the "Why would you ruin a good steak by overcooking it" crowd.

My mom eats her steak that way too. I would go with a good marinade or sauce since you are gonna be cooking a lot of the moisture out of the meat.

1 1/4 cups ketchup
    2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
    4 drops hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabascoâ„¢)
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Just mix it all up.

3. pd_

pd_ Member

HEB has prime steak on sale right now btw. 6.77/lb for ny strip/ribeye =)

4. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Though I tend to agree with those who say that a well done ribeye is borderline blasphemous, it's not my place to tell you how thoroughly to cook your steak.

I would suggest marking it on the grill for a couple minutes per side, just to give it some color, then finish it in a 375 degree oven until it reaches an internal temp of 150. Given a 10 minute rest, it should be well done by the time you cut into it, but still reasonably tender and juicy (or at least as much can be expected from a well-done steak)

5. raj87

raj87 Member

I will be grilling 2 ribeyes tonight as well. They are currently soaking in a Caribbean Jerk marinade.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

For well done steaks(gross), I would stick them in the oven at 200-225 for an hour and then sear them on cast iron pan. That way the outside doesn't get too tough.

7. greenhippos

greenhippos Member

I marinate my steak in a half red wine, half Dr Pepper marinade. Add some salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. Just a couple hours of that and my steak is tender when cooked to well done.

8. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I like to keep it simple. Salt and pepper only. Make sure you keep repositioning the steak so you get better char marks on it.

It's tomato season, so you could serve the steaks with some sliced heirloom tomatoes maybe with some pesto. Like the steak I like this only seasoned with salt and pepper.

I also like to grill asparagus. Toss it with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt when you take them off the grill. Steak, asparagus, and potatoes (mashed, baked, oven roasted) go really well together.

1 person likes this.
  9. bigbodymoe

For grilling on a gas grill, do I need to apply olive oil to the meat surface prior to adding salt and pepper? or is that not necessary?

Moe

10. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

No. Just add the salt and pepper, and you'll be fine. Make sure you clean your grill before dropping the steaks so they don't stick.

11. Prince

Prince Member

don't forget the best recipe for any cooking...

MSG.

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I am a firm believer in olive oil. Lets the heat transfer easier, adds a nice flavor and seems to add a protective fat layer.

13. LANIMIRC

LANIMIRC Member

creme fraiche

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PiQ0VOJmCbg#t=1m40s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Garner

Garner Member

425 degree grill, 6.5 minutes each side. keep the grill closed. Keep beer in hand.

16. Bandwagoner

Information like this is pretty useless unless you tell us how thick of steaks you usually cook.

17. Garner

Garner Member

He already gave us that information. Ribeye.

Furthermore, you are grilling, it is not an exact science. 6.5 minutes is a ball park. You should always touch the steak with your finger to see how well cooked it is.

18. Bandwagoner

Ribeyes are all the same thickness? Wow thanks for that info.

19. bigbodymoe

Thanks guys. Any good recipes for simple toppings and accompaniments? I have onions, garlic, olive oil, etc. Thinking of maybe caramelizing some onions and a garlic topping of some sort.

Moe

20. bigbodymoe

Btw, Krogers has the ribeyes on special today at 3.99/pound. Down from 8.99/pound. Pretty good deal.

Moe

1 person likes this.