1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Coogs] Can we bring an end to the Tom Penders era?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Major Malcontent, Feb 9, 2010.

1. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

O.k. I admit to being only a mildly rabid UH hoops fan, as opposed to a fully frothing fan of the gridiron guys. I do, however, attend 3 or 4 Cougar basketball games most years, which judging by the attendance is more than most.

I have yet to go to a game this year.

My excitement peaked the third game of the season staying up late to watch a win over Oklahoma in a HS gym in Alaska (an OU squad which has won only one away game.)

I confess I have been a bad fan. I haven't been to the Hoff this year. I just can't bring myself to watch Coleman go off for 30 points on 10 of 35 shooting, Kelvin Lewis jack up 25ft threes, and 4'2 Desmond Wade get posted up by Gary Coleman.

I admire Penders, and he says all the right things on the sports talk shows and I know we aren't gonna attract the best of the best right now. This offense is unwatchable though.

The crowds are minuscule, the coverage limited to a blurb in the Comical and the occasional game on channel 106 or 129..both of which are carried in like 4 households.

I know there are some hard-core Coogs here...I wondered what ya'll think.

2. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Should have fired his ass last season, and hire some dude from the coaching staff at Arizona, who is now Memphis' Head Coach.

I'm sure that dude would actually recruit the area.

You can recruit local B/C talent and still be good instead of getting these Jucos and Northeasterners.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Who do we get to replace him?

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Clyde Drexler!

Ha. Ha. Ha

1 person likes this.
  5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

And things just keep getting... worse... for... :(

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Billy Clyde Gillispie.

I know he had his problems at Kentucky and is coming off a stint in alcohol rehab.

Look at what he did for A&M...took a program that had become completely irrelevant for 15 years and turn them into a NCAA tourny team.

7. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

As an Aggie, I'm going to have to agree with this. He was great for A&M and think he would be perfect for UofH, plus this would keep him out of the Big 12.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Penders is a good, no he's a great coach.

Hofheinz is a dump, no it's crap.

9. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Tom Penders reportadly fired his lead assistant coach Melvin Haralson today. According to Matt Jackson twitter, "Multiple sources say UH looking at regime change in men's hoops. UH email to me: "UH has no comments on staff changes in men's basketball." My first choice would be Billy Gillispie. New AD Mack Rhodes knows Gillispie from their days at UTEP. I also think SMU will go after Gillipsie and may have more money to offer. My second choice would be Texas assistant Rodney Terry. He is from Angelton and will recruit local kids something Penders rarely did. Schools like Western Kentucky have came to Houston and stole players like Yates guard Brandon Peters and Bellaire Forward Kene Anyigbo . That shouldn’t be happening. Terry was a big reason local kids from Houston like DJ Augustin, Dexter Pittman, and Gary Johnson have signed with Texas. Mack Rhodes has to hire somebody with local connections that can recruit the area. Terry could be the next Kevin Sumlin.

10. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

Coleman shoots 44% from the field. So on average if he is taking 35 shots he is going to make 15.4 of them. Aubrey gets a bad rep for shooting a poor % when in fact its quite the opposite.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

\

Josh Pastner. He would have been a great fit.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

I really miss the glory days. Obviously they are not coming back under the current leadership. Time to try something else. Like Penders but likely time to retire. We need a Sumlin kind of coach for basketball, someone to jump start the program.

13. McNultyisDrunk

McNultyisDrunk Contributing Member

+1. I remember hearing about him 6-7 years ago when he was recruiting all the Houston area kids for Lute Olsen. Why he never got a sniff for the Cougar job is beyond baffling.

It's too late now....because there's no way in hell he'd downgrade to UH from Memphis.

14. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Anyone watch the game last night? W. Kentucky's coach cost them the game.

15. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Problem with this is, he is just gonna use the job to hopefully land a bigger one in a year or two. I thought Penders would have done a better job. Truth is with the outdated facilities it's going to be tough to get a decent coach and recruit well. Hopefully the university is able to upgrade both Fb and BB facilities soon

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Different ballgame. Even Helton won C-USA.

Basketball hasn't won a NCAA game since 1984 and hasn't been to the NCAA since 1992.

Many people have tried and failed to resurrect the program. Maybe it's not the coach.

Maybe just maybe it's the dilapidated facility and the lack of financial support (cause you know when you think fan support you think UH fans).

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If y'all get BCG I will buy season tickets and see you guys in the tourney on a basis of regularity.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Yeah...he did that at A&M...look at them now.

How many years was Briles at UH? You get a coach that turns it around and makes the program attractive to an up and coming coach that can keep it going.

19. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

I have to agree there. I don't go to UH, but I have sources deep inside the pentagon that essentially confirm this observation as well.

The facilities aren't exactly close to state of the art and fan support is definitely average at best . That being said, I would like to see UH get into being a major player one day. If they could even have a remote shot of becoming Tier-1 I'm sure that would help a ton. That and just bulldozing the entire "hood" around UH would be a good start.

execute operation wrecking ball.

[​IMG]

20. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks Mal for posting what we've been bantering back and forth about forever.

Tom needed to go 2 - 3 years ago.

No more excuses. I'm glad he got his drinking under control and I got past the fact he coached at UT. But for crying out loud enough with the JC guys and RI imports.

He's had more than enough time to right the ship.

I guess we're about to get new facilities, so I'd expect we'll finally see that move for a big name with big game soon.

I'm not saying it's going to be a return to PSJ days, but with the local talent which Penders refuses to recruit UH should be tourney bound just about every year.

I echo the sentiments of those that want Billy G. , but would be more than happy with anyone who can recruit the bejeezus out of our area and is a competent x's and o's guy/communicator/motivator.

UH is on the move so epect it soon.