1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Considering the game in Phoenix......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rock Block, Mar 13, 2001.

1. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Just found this site a few weeks ago and decided to get in the mix. [​IMG] Looks like we have some great fans here. Anyway, I ran across this article tonight and considering what happened in Phoenix Sunday I thought this was pretty ironic. [​IMG]

Colangelo to lead NBA rules committee
    PHOENIX – Phoenix Suns owner Jerry Colangelo will lead a select committee that will advise the NBA on possible rules changes.

In naming Colangelo as committee chairman on Thursday, NBA Commissioner David Stern said the owner brings a wide range of basketball experience to the group.

"At its recent meeting over All-Star weekend, the consensus of the NBA's competition committee was that our game has become too focused on 'isolation play,' and that some changes in our rules may be appropriate to discourage isolation offenses," Stern said.

The committee will make its first report to the NBA board of governors on March 30.

Colangelo has been with the Suns since 1968, serving as general manager, head coach, president and, currently, as chairman and chief executive officer.

He also serves as managing general partner of the Arizona Diamondbacks, the Arena Football League Rattlers and the Phoenix Mercury women's basketball team.

So what does the future hold for our brand of B-ball in HST?

2. Band Geek Mobster

Welcome to cc.net

I think after this offseason the rockets will have a much more diverse offense. I mean look at how things have changed in just a year. Instead of running strictly ISO's there are alot more picknroll's. I think this offseason will provide Rudy and the other coaches plenty of time to implement the offense they've been slowly working into the game. I remember back in the Charlotte game seeing alot of new wrinkles that haven't been utilized much lately.

Maybe they were just testing out some plays to see how they work in a game setting?

Another thing that should be considered is during most of the early part of the season our big men were hurt. We were running alot of Mo and KT frontcourts so now that Cato and Olajuwon are semi-back it's going to take that much more time to get them accustomed to the new sets.

I think over time the ISO's everyone's grown to hate will slowly dissapear from the Rocket's playbook. The league's trying to stop ISO's so the Rocks need to learn something different which I think they are.

------------------

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yea yea yea

The Rockets Killed them with the three
    the league moved it in so everyone could
    play . . . .PPHTHTTHTHT The rockets won
    again.

barkley was working fools on the low block
    The league put in the 5 second rule. . .
    only person ever called for it .. . CUtinno Mobley and only once

The ROCKETS OVER COME AND JUST WIN BABY!!

Rocket River

------------------

4. Toast

Toast Member

Why does it seem everything the Rockets do well, the league discourages?

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Cause they don't like houston ;-)

Truly. . . I don't Care
    we have overcome their maddness before
    We shall again.

Rocket River

------------------

6. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The league changed the rules so that defenders couldn't make contact with guys out on the perimeter! What the hell did they expect! Dumbasses.

------------------
    "****!" --Kenny Thomas

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

If anything truly demonstrates panic on the part of the NBA, it is the feeling that rules must be changed every year to make the game "more enjoyable."

More than ever before, teams play percentages. Before the advent of extensive video editing (prior to 1990), teams would use advance scouts to look at and plan for upcoming opponents. Rudy T. was one of those guys.

Because every game is now on TV, scouts are needed in the same ways and teams can break down every possibility. As a result, they run what is effective.

In addition, defenses have become increasingly sophisticated and aimed specifically at stopping open court play among other things. The ISO is the most effective weapon against that.

I'll tell ya something else, the Rockets aren't the only team that runs ISO's. The league is young right now. All of the real talent is under 25 or 26 years old. It takes years to learn systems that play to the strengths of specific athletes.

------------------
    "Don't waste it. We're here."

8. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Interesting article. Welcome to the board Rock Block, jump right in it is always nice to meet another rocket fan.

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"