1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Consider the Marlins out of the race!!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Florida just got hit with more bad "Weather".

*snicker*

3. mulletman

mulletman Member

whos the idiot that decided to sign this guy?:confused:

4. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Tread lightly near the Baseball Gods on this. David Weathers is a decent pitcher, in a pitcher's park - and he'll get plenty of work as the marlins have a bunched up schedule.

I think he'll pitch well, and if you guys don't WATCH IT, he'll end up starting and throwing a no-no to clinch the wild card for them. ARGH.

5. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

I could not agree more. To continue discussions along these lines would be bad.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

The Marlins are 2 1/2 games behind us. I'm not even worried about them anymore.

7. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

They still have to make up 3 games. They're cleary still in it, but its gonna be a tough ride.

8. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

That hurricane in Florida actually helped us. The Marlins aren't gonna be able to stick to a regular 5 man rotation with the make up games they have. Hopefully they'll still be able to beat the Cubs.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

But, they have 1 less loss. Until teams have more losses than Houston, I don't consider them behind Houston. As long as that scenario exists, the Astros do not control their own destiny. Houston could win out and still lose the wild card to either the Cubs or Marlins.

10. Elienator

Elienator Member

Look at it like this, the Marlin's have played 6 less games than the Astros (including today's game for the Astros, not for the Marlins since it just started). They are a game up in the loss column. However, if the season ended today they'd have to go 5-1 over their last six to tie the Astros, and 6-0 to beat them. I'd consider them behind Houston especially since 5-1 or 6-0 is way above their season winning percentage. The Cubs are the only team I'd say that the Astros are behind right now.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How far above our season average do you suppose 12-0 is?

12. Elienator

Elienator Member

12 games ago, I would have said we were behind a lot of teams we are now in front of. I'm not saying the Marlins can't pass the Astros, but at this point in time, they are behind them.

13. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

12 games ties the longest winning streak in the majors this season. I'd like it to continue and as Crash Davis says - "Don't **** with a winning streak" - and that includes thumbing your nose at the Baseball Gods.

Even if you don't believe that mojo will come back to haunt you if you do things that spite the BBG's - like say canceling a game due to imaginary rain and end up finishing a dissapointing third in your division, or blaming a fan for your teams inability to play defense, then end up losing game seven - some people do.

Please, please, please, please don't count anyone out, or pencil anyone into the WC just yet.

14. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

With our luck, he'll kick some ass over there.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Damn, when did the Mets get so bad?

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

First off, the Marlins are 1.5 games behind us, not 2.5.

Secondly, we have played 5 more games than them, therefore, they can still make up that difference easily.

Marlins are in it for sure.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and they're hot...9 in a row

18. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Weathers entered the game today and promptly gave up a triple and an RBI single.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

and they have the best starting pitching, but hopefully the number of games they have the rest of the season will neutralize that advantage...

20. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

delete

#20 T-2, Sep 9, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2004