1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Concrete proof that the liberals hate the troops

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Oct 20, 2005.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Well, here we have it. Concrete proof that the liberals hate the troops. This ocurred in our OWN STATE of Texas, I might add. Disgusting. These people are protesting our brave troops' efforts to recruit members to protect our great country.

http://www.dailytexanonline.com/med...ts.Army.Presence.At.Career.Fair-1027599.shtml

Group protests Army presence at career fair
    By Patrick George
    Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

About 40 student activists stormed the College of Liberal Arts' job fair Wednesday to protest U.S. Army recruiters' role in the event. Cries of, "When recruiters lie, students die," and "Money for school, not for war," filled the Texas Union Ballroom, where about 70 employers had booths.

Members of the Campus Anti-War Movement to End the Occupation gathered on the West Mall at 10:30 a.m. to make posters and pass out pamphlets. They marched into the Texas Union and upstairs into the ballroom, surrounding the Army recruiter table.

CAMEO members shouted and chanted as they waved signs that criticized the American war effort in Iraq.

"We're here to protest anything that facilitates recruiters on campus," said Mike Corwin, CAMEO co-founder and a LAN administrator at the Center for American History. "We're here to teach people that death isn't a career and to put an end to their discrimination against homosexuals."

The University provided CAMEO with a place to stand next to the Army recruiting station.

"We want to accommodate their right to free speech," said Margarita Arellano, associate dean of students. "The University tries to teach students that they can express their First Amendment rights."

Though the protestors blocked the Army booth and shouted at people who sought employment information from him, the recruiter from the Army's Dobie Mall office said that the group did have a right to be there.

Other recruiters said they were frustrated with CAMEO's actions.

"I think they're a pain in the butt," said Hunter Short, a recruiter for construction equipment company Neff Rental, whose booth was next to the Army's. "Our companies spend a lot of money to come here, and it's juvenile and disrespectful to distract us like this."

Short also said he wasn't happy with the protestors criticizing the military.

"Our freedoms wouldn't be here if they didn't protect us," Short said.

CAMEO members screamed over recruiters' conversations and debated with students and employers. The group's size in the confined space prevented some people from getting to the tables. The group later turned its attention to other government organizations at the event, such as the National Security Agency and the Defense Intelligence Agency. CAMEO has protested against the Army recruitment offices in Dobie Mall in the past.

Most of the protesters were gone by 12:30 p.m. Five University Police Department officers were on hand to observe the demonstration. The event remained peaceful.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how did the taliban and saddam's regime feel about gay rights?

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

The Army recruiters have the right to be at the job fair, and the protesters have the right to protest them.

The story is concrete proof that protestors protested Army recruiters at a job fair at the University of Texas.

This thread isn't concrete proof of anything, other than bigtexxx's skewed view of the real world.

4. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

I submit the following as proof positive:

"You are more likely to die on U.S. inter-state highways than in Iraq."

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So what is their position, do they want our troops to not have enough people and fail? Seems to me that's the case.

6. RocketMan Tex

Ya think maybe they felt that an on-campus job fair was an inappropriate place for Army recruiters? Seems to me that's the case.

I don't know what their position is, snuggles. Perhaps you should drive to Austin and ask them!

7. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Never seems to happen at the Engineering Career Fair at the Erwin Center.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

While I believe there are certainly objectionable points to be taken from this - making sweeping generalizations about 'liberals hating troops' is really counterproductive. You aren't persuading anyone - just radicalizing people's opinion of you.

Its sad that these students feel they are so much smarter than those who volunteer for the military. Volunteers are not hapless children. It's a pervasive attitude that is insulting to current members of the armed forces.

Shouting at people who wanted information from the Army booth...screaming so the recruiters so they can't be heard...that's really valuable public discourse. Not to mention inhibiting the recruiters right to be heard. Great that they have a right to free speech. To bad they don't believe in other people's right to do so.

LOL, 'juvenile' hits the nail on the head.

Why is it an inappropriate place for Army recruiters (since that is your opinion)?

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Clearly the school of Liberal Arts' welcomed the Army recruiters in their building with open arms ~ then a rouge band of hooligans burst in and began protesting.

With the current state of repubs it's more than likely that CAMEO is a group of dissatisfied neocons looking to cause trouble.

I salute the Liberal Arts department for their fierce patriotism allowing the Army to come and recruit their best and brightest.

As everyone knows Liberal Arts students make the bravest most heroic soldiers the United States of America can produce.

God Bless the Liberals.

10. RocketMan Tex

Not my opinion. If you reread my post, I was providing a counter-point to bigtexxx's claim.

My points are....1)if the Liberal Arts college job fair at UT didn't want the army recruiters there, they wouldn't have invited them, and 2)freedom of speech gives the protesters the right to do what they did, although I agree with you....their methods were juvenile.

11. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I don't think this amounts to "hating troops" but it was pretty stupid. It sounds like there were plenty of people who couldn't get to other booths, or booths that lost visitors because these people had to get all self-righteous. It seems so counterproductive to stand in a barricade around a booth and yell at people. I think people have a right to protest but not a right to be asses. If they wanted to have an effective demonstration they would have attempted to talk to and persuade people coming up to the booth, not just yell at them. Acting like that is more likely to bristle someone than change their mind.

12. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Ok, fair enough. When you said 'seems to me that's the case' it looked like you were agreeing with their premise - that it was an inappropriate place for them to recruit. :)

13. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Don't agree that they necessarily hate the troops, but their protest is misguided. The USA needs an army, although I don't like the fact that most of the Army is in Iraq. Misguided protest, but that is one of the prices for freedom. Not everyone always sees things your way. Sorry bigtexxx, were aren't living in a dictatorship yet.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

How does a protest by 40 members of a campus group amount to anything more than the opinions of those 40 students? I fail to see the logic of your post, texxx, and find the title of this thread offensively misleading.

Keep D&D Civil.

15. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I feel sorry for those currently in the military. I would not encourage anyone to enlist.

If that means I don't "support the troops" then so be it.

16. RocketMan Tex

Nope...I was just borrowing bigtexxx's sentence structure to respond to his post, that's all. I blame it all on poetic license! :D

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I completely disagree with you. The only thing I feel sorry about regarding our military is it's civilian leadership being a steaming pile of ****. Clean house, starting with the "commander" in the Oval Office, and most of the problems will work themselves out over time.

Keep D&D Civil.

18. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I don't think you are disagreeing with me. You succinctly state the primary rationale for my previous assertion.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh... thanks! ;)

Keep D&D Civil.

20. nycrocket

nycrocket Contributing Member

Don't you think a better question for a conservative to ask is why is the army targeting recruits at a UT Liberal Arts career fair? Talk about mismanagement. I bet those funds could be used to outfit a couple of Humvees with armor, intelligence officers could be trained, etc.

Do you honestly think that 3 Liberal Arts recruits are going to make a difference in this cluster**** of a situation we're involved in Iraq?