1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Computers] How much would a solid state drive help overheating in a gaming laptop?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, May 22, 2012.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Last time I bought a gaming laptop it got really, really hot whenever I played anything intense for more than an hour. After about 2.5 years it had various hardware failures and went to the scrap heap, probably as a result of the overheating.

So my question is, would running a configuration where the OS and all programs run off an SSD and all the storage is off a standard 7200rpm drive help overheating issues A LOT? Or would the heat from the graphics card and the processor be a problem regardless?

If it wouldn't make that much of a difference anyway, I would just go with a standard drive and save myself $300.

2. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

processor, gpu, and battery would be the hottest. cant imagine HDD to SSD making a whole lot of difference in terms of overheating... performance wise yes.

admittingly i dont know that much about laptops.

3. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Get one of those laptop underside fans.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

During gaming an SSD won't help heat issues. During normal use of the computer it will. Newer CPUs have much better performance with less heat than your old machine. I would get an SSD personally.

5. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Cool. Thanks for the responses. The fact that it won't help much for overheating during gaming makes me lean away from it, but I'll have to think about it.

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It will make loading games way faster and anything not to do with gaming much more snappy. Plus extend battery life.

7. Garner

Garner Member

Unless you travel a bunch, just go w a desktop my friend.

8. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

it might help "slightly" but like everyone said.. a 7200rpm would be the least of your worries as far as generating heat. Some laptops just run hot. If your laptop used to run cool.. then shoot some canned air or even take it apart and reapply thermal paste. (or put better thermals like shin-etsu or mx4)

9. Warning-Sign

Warning-Sign Member

This. You can get a much better desktop for the same price. I bought a $1000 desktop three years ago (includes gaming) and I still love it.

10. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Best thing I ever did for heat on my gaming laptops was a pair of laptop balls and a flat surface...either a tv tray when on the couch or in bed or on a table. It let the air flow in much better than before.

[​IMG]

11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

^^^^^^^^^^^
    dunno if I want my laptop to have pink balls. lol

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Are you buying a new laptop or trying to salvage the old one? I know gamers that open up their laptops with a screwdriver and analyze the innards to see what they can do to improve air flow. They run heat tests, compare results, and end up with a best practice solution.

Sometimes they'll change the thermal paste or takeout components. It all depends. Find a forum with a long thread on a popular gaming laptop and you'll see what I mean.

The new Samsung 17.3in laptops (Chronos & Gamer) look pretty solid for gaming.

Beware of cooling systems. Sometimes you'll have one that blows down when it should be sucking up. It depends on the laptop in question.