1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Computers] Help With Windows Install

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Qball, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I currently have a Lenovo Y580 Laptop that has a HDD as the primary drive. I want to add an SSD (mSATA) and use the SSD as the primary drive and the HDD as secondary.

Is there a way to do a fresh install of Windows on the SSD using the OEM Windows 7 key (i.e. the one on the sticker on bottom of your laptop)? I've combed through a few tech forums but am getting conflicting info.

Thanks for your help!

2. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Yes, you should be able to activate using your product key that is on the sticker. Sometimes online activation will fail and you'll have to call in via the automated system.

3. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

As long as you are installing the OEM version of the OS from that manufacturer you shouldnt have any issues, if you do, call microsoft, they will make it work.

4. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Thanks for the replies.

Once I install the mSATA, the only thing I need to do (via BIOS settings) is have the computer boot from the mSATA instead of the HDD correct?

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Exactly. I cannot see why, but you might also have issues installing the OS on an mSATA device. You might have to load drivers, but honestly, in this day and age it's probably going to go off flawlessly. It could be that the mSATA port is directly wired into the same hardware as your onboard drive, so Windows won't even be able to tell its connected in a different manner. Have fun!

6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Nah, no drivers will be needed.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I thought so, but I wasn't 100% sure. I can't see why you would because conceivably the onboard hard drive is on SATA as well. Plus, Windows 7 natively supports SATA, so it's got that going for it. That's nice.

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Yeah, that was the problem with Vista is the non-native SATA support made drivers a nightmare in the first year or so. They learned their lesson and put in many generic drivers in Windows 7, 8 and Server 2012.

9. calcium

calcium Member

Am late to the game :)

I would consider plugging the mSATA drive in and disconnect the other drive
    and install the OS like normal.

I think if it is a newer BIOS, you might not need to do any settings
    in the BIOS but if not work, you may have to set the BIOS
    to detect the drive. Maybe.

When it is installed, re-plugged the other drive in and then you
    can boot from either drive, using the BIOS to choose.

Good luck :)

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's been a while since I've done this, but I think you have to specify which one is master and which one is slave. If it's a newer board, calcium's advice should work.

You might need to have CD rom support to load SATA drivers, but I think newer Windows should've taken care of that already.

11. calcium

calcium Member

I think setting the master/slave drives were needed for IDE drives.

But not needed for SATA drives.

12. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

No Drivers needed, the only time you will need drivers is for a controller or raid card. I just installed a new Samsung EVO 250GB SSD over the weekend, was exactly the same as any other old hard drive.